Where do I start learning music?

khaine21x3

Do I have to attend some kind of music school to learn some kid of music written language? What do I need to know to use 1 of them instrument emulation keyboards? What do I need to know to start producing music?

Well you can self train yourself to read/play music, but it is a lot easier to find a music teacher and pay them to teach you. You can search online for a music school or a self-learning book. If you plan on playing on a keyboard, you need to know how to read music, what note are all the keys, be able to move your fingers very quickly, and so on. After learning a keyboard, then you will probably have to go out and buy some type of music recording equipment. Though I haven't played on a keyboard, I have played the trumpet, so I do know quite a bit about music.

siggy.png

This isn't in the right spot. This board is for posting your own Music. I'll try and get a mod to move it to the proper place for you.

As for the music part, you don't actually have to do anything before you start. It would be very helpful in the long run if you did though.

I didn't and just jumped into FL randomly one day, but I just mess around and don't exactly hope to achieve much from it. I have gotten, I would say, somewhat decently amateur at it. But I could be a whole lot better with a class or some really good know how.

And instrument emulation keyboards? I'm guessing a midi keyboard? If you know how to play a piano, then you can play any synthesized sound on that thing. At least I would assume so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know of any classes or any specifics things like that. Might just have to google around and see what you find.

Edited by Haven

7Crdz3K.png

Well you can self train yourself to read/play music, but it is a lot easier to find a music teacher and pay them to teach you. You can search online for a music school or a self-learning book. If you plan on playing on a keyboard, you need to know how to read music, what note are all the keys, be able to move your fingers very quickly, and so on. After learning a keyboard, then you will probably have to go out and buy some type of music recording equipment. Though I haven't played on a keyboard, I have played the trumpet, so I do know quite a bit about music.

What about those computer music things bronies make? what exactly do they use to make them and where do I learn how to do those stuff?

The music language is very simple, you can go on youtube and find videos that will teach you pretty much everything you need to get started for any instrument. Teachers can help a bit but aren't really necessary to be honest

Pick up an instrument and learn how to play it. Grab a DAW and learn how to use it. Learn a bit about music theory. It's difficult to pinpoint a definite starting point for creating music beyond deciding that you want to create music, because everyone makes music in different ways.

Pick up an instrument and learn how to play it. Grab a DAW and learn how to use it. Learn a bit about music theory. It's difficult to pinpoint a definite starting point for creating music beyond deciding that you want to create music, because everyone makes music in different ways.

What is a DAW? what kind of theories are you talking about? so for traditional instruments I just need to learn how to use them and learn to read those ancient drawings music sheet thingy?

Best place to start would be the music department of your school. Otherwise start googling music stuff, I'm sure you can find something credible out there.

what kind of theories are you talking about? so for traditional instruments I just need to learn how to use them and learn to read those ancient drawings music sheet thingy?

Music theory is the art of writing music, and it's REALLY hard to understand. And the "music sheet thingy" is called a staff ^_^ and it's not that old, only around 500 years XD Edited by Red

What about those computer music things bronies make? what exactly do they use to make them and where do I learn how to do those stuff?

DAW.

Digital Audio Workstations.

Examples: Fruity Loops Studio, Cubase, Ableton live 8, (I think) Garage Band, and many more. Each are different prices, but most require a decent pretty penny for them imo.

You need one of those and you can learn them by doing it yourself (Like I mostly did), with tutorials from the company, or tutorials from YouTube. You could even find someone else very versed in one of them and ask for them to teach you a little something.

7Crdz3K.png

DAW.

Digital Audio Workstations.

Examples: Fruity Loops Studio, Cubase, Ableton live 8, (I think) Garage Band, and many more. Each are different prices, but most require a decent pretty penny for them imo.

You need one of those and you can learn them by doing it yourself (Like I mostly did), with tutorials from the company, or tutorials from YouTube. You could even find someone else very versed in one of them and ask for them to teach you a little something.

Do I need to know music language or anything about music to use them or do I just experiment with them until I eventually create something?

Which would you recommend for a beginner?

What is a DAW?

A Digital Audio Workstation is an application for creating music. Creating, programming, recording, exporting, etc etc. Examples include (but certainly aren't limited to) FL Studio (my personal choice), Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, SONAR, Reaper, and Ableton.

what kind of theories are you talking about?

Music theory is the study of how music works. In particular, it's important to know what makes certain types of music aesthetically pleasing. Things like rhythm, melody, structure, scale, that kind of stuff. Basically, what makes music music.

so for traditional instruments I just need to learn how to use them and learn to read those ancient drawings music sheet thingy?

You could, if that's the route you wanna go. And really, with music, the more you know, the better off you'll be.

Do I need to know music language or anything about music to use them or do I just experiment with them until I eventually create something?

Which would you recommend for a beginner?

I would recommend learning about them (the programs) and music in general first. Get that down and then attempt with them. Experimenting without knowing anything isn't a safe way to do it, especially when what you're experimenting with can cost quite some money. Edited by Haven
  • Brohoof 2

7Crdz3K.png

(edited)

I would recommend learning about them and music in general first. Get that down and then attempt with them. Experimenting isn't a safe way to do it, especially when what you're experimenting with can cost quite some money.

Money isn't that big an issue for me, I might live in the third world but I'm the the top 20% here that could afford a computer and Internet.However, it is a big problem trying to get training for modern day art/music application since most people just don't have a computer and only 1% of the population or less knows how to use the computer for things other than facebook/youtube.

Thanks everypony!

Edited by khaine21x3

Money isn't that big an issue for me, I might live in the third world but I'm the the top 20% here that could afford a computer and Internet.However, it is a big problem trying to get training for modern day art/music application since most people just don't have a computer and only 1% of the population or less knows how to use the computer for things other than facebook/youtube.

Thanks everypony!

Aah. Well, if you can't get a class locally, then maybe an online class for that thing might be available somewhere on the web as a last resort. Not sure how well such a thing would work, but its worth a shot

7Crdz3K.png

Aah. Well, if you can't get a class locally, then maybe an online class for that thing might be available somewhere on the web as a last resort. Not sure how well such a thing would work, but its worth a shot

I think I'm too old to understand that kind of new generation hipster online classes.I guess I'll just have to do everything the hard way.

I agree, get somebody to teach you. If you can't do that then try buying a book or looking on the internet.

It's up to tou and your budget...

I could probably do that for traditional instruments but there is basically no one here to teach me how to use those music softwares and stuff.I have unlimited budget .

if we lived anywhere near each other I would've offered to teach you to play bass...... :(

I hate distance....can't wait until we have teleporters.........

I have no idea what a base is, the bigger problem is that the US embassy is still closed here from the terrorist attack and I think that it's unlikely for anyone here to get a visa after that attack.

Look at my avatar, that's a bass guitar there that I'm holding. Which embassy? there have been a few attacks lately on US embassies

Indonesia embassy

Basically the western nations have formed an iron curtain for legitimate tourists at this point of time while welcoming illegal aliens and true radical terrorists with open arms.

• Brohoof 1

I could probably do that for traditional instruments but there is basically no one here to teach me how to use those music softwares and stuff.I have unlimited budget .

Music softwares, depends on what you want to use but in general ones like FL studio are great, free and arn't too hard to learn how to use. If you say what type of software you want(editors, audio generators EG: FL studio that electronically generate sounds etc)...

R96N2.png
Did you know: 20Kv's of electricity can kill you from up to 5ft away?