My thoughts on the site badges/post count and fame

XUNUSEDXXX

The badge isn't the problem, it's the poster.

The badges are nothing; a visual of what is already known. Someone with a Brony badge or a Unicorn badge is obviously going to be regarded a little higher than a Muffin. Why? Not because the badge says so. It's because of what that badge's owner has done. Chances are, if you are a Pony or above, most people do (or should) know who you are. Before the badges, the main posters were still easily identifiable on the site. The badges are really just a little prize to look forward to.

Yeah this. If a user joined the site and let's say hacked himself to get a brony badge, people wouldn't think he is awesome and neither would they brohoof his posts since they have no clue who he is.

• Brohoof 3

Elitism can't really be avoided in a growing forum. You can say it's a puberty for forums

Sadly, I have to say that post-count-based elitism in this forum is rather minimal. Lots of times I have seen in Show Discussion/General Discussion some member who just had registered days ago can easily have a challenging discussion with older members who easily have twenty times post count than him. There is no my-opinion-is-better behaviour (that I know of). The lack of readily visible post count under the avatar here helps to prevent elitism.

Yeah, older members have this tendency to quote and answer other older members, it's simply because it's much comfortable to discuss things with your friends (because they would be less likely to attack your opinion), but that's another problem. Older members can easily ignore other older members if they're not comfortable with the others.

The moderators, in the other hand... Newer members are tend to look up to them. What usually normal posts can be very interesting to them, and they will try as they can to 'agree' with the post to gain recognition from the moderators. This can be very frustrating in a discussion because some will outright ignore any other members' opinions and focus on the moderator's opinion instead. Just like those yes-mares behind Fancy Pants.

Then again, you can't really blame the someone for being too popular n3WKz.png

• Brohoof 5

Badges don't have much to do with it, I don't think. I've seen plenty of situations where some "higher ranking" members have gotten the brush off too. Some people here have somehow established a reputation that unduly overshadows other members regardless of their badge. It's often not their fault, perhaps not at all going by what I've seen. I haven't heard any bragging or pulling of rank around here, so any hero worship taken to the point of neglecting the rest is solely the fault of those doing it. In my experience, the only thing that needs to change around here is their worshippers' outlook, not so much those on the receiving end.

It's not unreasonable or wrong that some should get that level of attention though, it just shouldn't be to the ostracization of others.

Some not so well known count user may say something and get little recognition, while another well known user may say the same thing and be praised much higher.

Which can lead to the lesser known individual getting tired of it and quitting should it become a regular occurrence. This issue is intrinsic to every forum community. It comes with the territory and happens a lot around here. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done technically/legislatively to stop it without also ruining the good aspects. The best thing would be for those of us who are sick of it to keep 'hoofing and quoting those who seem to get ignored and to post our viewpoints even if they've already been stated by others earlier in the thread.

Most other forums that I've visited don't have a brohoof/like/upvote system, and the presence of one here doesn't really make the problem worse, it just makes it more visible; it also lets you know exactly who the offenders are. See the following:

the people who brohoof their post without even reading the content just because of the username or staff badge

Italics mine for even more emphasis in case Motion Spark wasn't yelling loud enough. READ THREADS BEFORE REPLYING TO THEM AND READ POSTS BEFORE 'HOOFING.

Although I'm not a "household name" around here, I think I've conversed with upwards of 200 people here and plenty of people know who I am; I also have friends here. Given that nobody has asked me to leave yet I'll assume I don't have anyone's ire. All in all, I'd say my situation on MLP Forums is what I've made of it for the most part. Fair enough.

I'm not denying that it's a problem, and I'll even say that's it's a significant problem. I'm just saying that the fault isn't with any of the site's features or those getting carried around like Xerxes on his port-o-throne, it falls solely on the members who do it and that it will always exist to an extent. If it appears to you that anybody has been treated that way, make a note of who they are then pay extra attention to them in your travels. "Victims" should also band together; a group of unpopular guys can carve out their own niche kind of like the CMC.

Lastly, mods are regular users. Theirs is a role that's assumed when it becomes necessary, not a full-time job (with the exception of Scoots' position because he likes to break fix things). Kind of like how Superman spends most of his time as an ordinary paper pusher. Don't think of them as cops. Interact with them as you would anyone else and feel free to disagree with their opinions. When they finally do set down their glasses and rip off their shirts, things are a bit different, otherwise just go about your merry way.

It might sound really strange hearing this from a staff member - and the site owner, of all people - but the extra attention staff get purely by virtue of being staff bugs me, too.

Honestly, I'm appreciative. Because of what I've learned to expect from the brass here it would only be strange to me if you denied it happened or reveled in it instead.

there is a degree of 'herd mentality' on the forums... this amuses me more than I care to admit.

Me too. laugh.png

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 2

Just an idea like that, why not make the badges based on the brohoofs-to-post ratio? Not only would it be a better thing to brag about than the number of posts you've made, but it would also encourage users to make quality posts. Or maybe it could be shown alongside the badge or something. I'm just throwing ideas here, but I think it could potentially be an interesting thing to add.

Just an idea like that, why not make the badges based on the brohoofs-to-post ratio?

gnT2h.png

The next thing we know it, everyone will flocks to Cloudsdale Colosseum.

Brohoof ratio will only means something if everyone have the same standard on what should be brohoofed and not. We all know brohooves here are handed in a very subjective manner.

• Brohoof 1