Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Need Help With My Laptop!

Strawberry Tart

Okay, guys..I didn't really know where to put this topic because it doesn't seem to fit anywhere but here.

I need help with my laptop. It's an hp and it's brand-new. But today, I was just surfing the Internet (I was using chrome), when suddenly it tells me that it cannot connect to the Internet! I checked the wifi network and sure enough, it was connected, but didn't have Internet access. I disconnected from it, then reconnected - still no Internet. Then I turned off the computer and turned it back on 20 minutes later - nothing. I checked "help" and used the troubleshooter, which told me that my Wi-Fi has no valid IP configuration. I tried renewing it, but it would not let me. I checked Google but that didn't really help either. So I'm turning to you guys. Help me!

Edited by Strawberry Tart

I am not sure if you are using Windows 8 or 7, but this may be helpful for you:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wireless-network-connection-does-not-have-a-valid/0d539fa8-4a62-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

I would suggest you perform a reset on your wireless router,  check the status of any other devices connected to your network to see if they are facing the same issue, Update the drivers for your wireless hardware and update the BIOS.

Also it would be helpful to us if you post the result of the command

ipconfig

in cmd, search for cmd in your menu and type that and copy and paste it.

you may even have to reset your TCP/IP stack, in that case:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Edited by superponylinux

Okay, guys..I didn't really know where to put this topic because it doesn't seem to fit anywhere but here.

I need help with my laptop. It's an hp and it's brand-new. But today, I was just surfing the Internet (I was using chrome), when suddenly it tells me that it cannot connect to the Internet! I checked the wifi network and sure enough, it was connected, but didn't have Internet access. I disconnected from it, then reconnected - still no Internet. Then I turned off the computer and turned it back on 20 minutes later - nothing. I checked "help" and used the troubleshooter, which told me that my Wi-Fi has no valid IP configuration. I tried renewing it, but it would not let me. I checked Google but that didn't really help either. So I'm turning to you guys. Help me!

First of all congratz on your name. Second go to HP support site with another computer and download the drivers for your wifi card that should help.

• Brohoof 1

First of all congratz on your name. Second go to HP support site with another computer and download the drivers for your wifi card that should help.

(Congrats on my name? What do you mean?)

Thank you for the help...but the problem has actually been resolved. My dad figured out that there was an issue with the updates~

(Congrats on my name? What do you mean?)

Thank you for the help...but the problem has actually been resolved. My dad figured out that there was an issue with the updates~

You just have an awesome name. Good that the problem got solved ,what update was conflicting the wifi then? If i can ask and know.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wireless-network-connection-does-not-have-a-valid/0d539fa8-4a62-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

I would suggest you perform a reset on your wireless router,  check the status of any other devices connected to your network to see if they are facing the same issue, Update the drivers for your wireless hardware and update the BIOS.

ipconfig

Thanks~ But who knew, there was an issue with the updates ^-^ My dad helped me with it. If I encounter any more problems, I'll try that, though. 

You just have an awesome name. Good that the problem got solved ,what update was conflicting the wifi then? If i can ask and know.

It's not that the update was messing with the computer, it's that the computer wasn't updated. But who knows, maybe it wasn't the update at all and my dad did something else to fix the laptop~

And about the name, do you mean my display name, or my real name? 

Happy to see you got it resolved then.

Remember to always check the simple things first when troubleshooting a technical problem, there are so many problems that are actually caused by very simple things ;)

I'm glad you got your issue resolved. I was going to suggest that it may be an issue with your internet service provider and that they would have needed to have been contacted.
Actually, it broke again. Although I'm positive that its not the router - evey other device works perfectly fine. Only my laptop doesn't work.

I would suggest you perform a reset on your wireless router, check the status of any other devices connected to your network to see if they are facing the same issue, Update the drivers for your wireless hardware and update the BIOS.

ipconfig

okay, so it broke again and I just saw your post, so:

Every other device in the house is working. There are 8 other devices (but we have 2 routers). When I try ipconfig/renew, multiple messages come up:

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 12 while it has it's media disconnected."

"No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has it's media disconnected."

"No operation can be performed by Ethernet while it has it's media disconnected."

"An error occurred while renewing interface Wi-Fi : The operation was canceled by the user."

By the way, if anyone is wondering: the Internet connection is currently half-fixed and turns on for a couple minutes, then back off.

This can be a very troublesome issue to solve. I suffered from this intermittently for about a year (starting summer of 2011) and couldn't figure out the cause. There are just so many possibilities.

In the end I took my keyboard out to replace it and saw that the connector between my wireless card and the antenna was disconnected (but still touching). Reconnecting it fixed the issue.

But seriously, I'm probably the only one to ever have that as the cause.

Edited by Cowl

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Windows-Network-Diagnostics-event-logs-to-solve-network-problems

Lets see if Event Viewer can get us any useful information.

Have you updated your wireless drivers? Not through windows update but by visiting hp's webiste.

I don't know how to update the wireless drivers....

Event viewer did not give us any useful information, either, unfortunately. 

This can be a very troublesome issue to solve. I suffered from this intermittently for about a year (starting summer of 2011) and couldn't figure out the cause. There are just so many possibilities.

In the end I took my keyboard out to replace it and saw that the connector between my wireless card and the antenna was disconnected (but still touching). Reconnecting it fixed the issue.

But seriously, I'm probably the only one to ever have that as the cause.

Knowing my luck, that might be the case. Did it cost a lot to get the connector reconnected? (IF so how much, I want to know if it's worth it to fix the laptop, if that is the problem). 

I just reattached it myself. All i needed was a set of small screwdrivers for taking out the keyboard and a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the connector back into shape. (So repair was free)

How to check that your antennas are properly connected:

Check that you are allowed to open your laptop up without voiding your warranty. There is no point in voiding your warranty if you could just send it back to them and make them fix it for you.

Repeat: Don’t void your warranty because it could be any number of software or hardware issues.

Check your computer manual for how to disassemble your computer correctly. Locate your wireless card and try to gently lift the antenna cable connectors away from the wireless card. If they come away, then they are not securely attached. You can use needle nose pliers to reshape the connector slightly so that the connection will be more secure. Re-attach the connector, seal up the computer, and reboot. Then test your wireless again.

As to how to update your wireless drivers: Go to control panel -> hardware-> device manager (under devices and printers)

Then look under network adapters to find your wireless card.

Right click and select update driver software.

Also: You can check you wireless cards manufacturers website for updated drivers. The widows default drivers however are very robust and work for any wireless card from any major manufacturer from the last 5 years (and probably more).

Edited by Cowl
  • Brohoof 1

visit this for the drivers: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

You will need to put in your Laptop model number, that should be written on the front of the laptop or underneath it.

EDIT: looks like they can auto detect your laptop too.

-BTW you are looking for Network drivers.

if updating the drivers does not work it could be a possible hardware problem or you may need to reset the TC/IP stack.

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

As much as it disappoints me to say it. From my experience. HP laptops do not have a good rep for realiability. Another sure way to isolate the problem is to take your laptop to another wireless hotspot and see of you can connect without a problem. If you can connect and be fine then the issue is your router.

I am sorry to say I have to agree with TwilightCircuits. I have seen several people disappointed by HP laptops. My one friend had their computer replaced 3 times in 6 months each time for a different mother board issue. There reliability is notorious.

My preferred brand is Lenovo (Thinkpads only) specifically because they are so reliable and you are allowed to change out most service units inside the laptop without voiding the warranty.

You have a faulty DNS server configuration.

This is being caused by either your router/modem or your computer.

Try connecting with another computer. If it works, then it is your computers DNS configuration.

Edited by NullCity

As much as it disappoints me to say it. From my experience. HP laptops do not have a good rep for realiability. Another sure way to isolate the problem is to take your laptop to another wireless hotspot and see of you can connect without a problem. If you can connect and be fine then the issue is your router.

Actually, I'm not sure what it can be anymore, because it seems to be neither. Today around 9:00 pm, that's an hour and 17 minutes ago, my dad's computer changed the name and password of our network! It used to be RTNET and the password I won't say, but then it changed to KAROLBLACKPC-COMPUTER_NETWORK or something, and the password changed to all kinds of letters and numbers connected by dashes) ****-****-**** <-- like that, replace the * with random letters and numbers. My dad somehow figured out the password (!?) and I connected my laptop to it  using the found password and, against all odds, it worked! So then for an hour I had Wi-Fi, and now my story gets weird, because for the past 20 minutes, I've been using a network called FR-300RTR....It has no password and is completely unprotected (~scary~). Basically, 20 (well, now 25) minutes ago, the KAROL WiFi shut down and was replaced with this one....I have no idea what is going on. It's really kind of suspicious because my dad's name happens to be Karol (Karol means Charles in Polish) and he happens to have a black PC computer. He has no idea what happened, or how the network switched. But I guess it's for the better because now my Wi-Fi works?

• Brohoof 1

Actually, I'm not sure what it can be anymore, because it seems to be neither. Today around 9:00 pm, that's an hour and 17 minutes ago, my dad's computer changed the name and password of our network! It used to be RTNET and the password I won't say, but then it changed to KAROLBLACKPC-COMPUTER_NETWORK or something, and the password changed to all kinds of letters and numbers connected by dashes) ****-****-**** <-- like that, replace the * with random letters and numbers. My dad somehow figured out the password (!?) and I connected my laptop to it  using the found password and, against all odds, it worked! So then for an hour I had Wi-Fi, and now my story gets weird, because for the past 20 minutes, I've been using a network called FR-300RTR....It has no password and is completely unprotected (~scary~). Basically, 20 (well, now 25) minutes ago, the KAROL WiFi shut down and was replaced with this one....I have no idea what is going on. It's really kind of suspicious because my dad's name happens to be Karol (Karol means Charles in Polish) and he happens to have a black PC computer. He has no idea what happened, or how the network switched. But I guess it's for the better because now my Wi-Fi works?

hahahahahahaha I don't know what all of that was but. I think it made sense but somehow it seems you broke the fourth wall dimension in there somwhere. rofl

hahahahahahaha I don't know what all of that was but. I think it made sense but somehow it seems you broke the fourth wall dimension in there somwhere. rofl

My father's computer has broken the fourth wall. Soon we shall take over the world! MUAHAHAHA. But seriously, I have no clue what's going on with either the computer or the network, any ideas...?

• Brohoof 1

My father's computer has broken the fourth wall. Soon we shall take over the world! MUAHAHAHA. But seriously, I have no clue what's going on with either the computer or the network, any ideas...?

Take over the world! hahahaha I know why but it made me think of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9B6adXz6GbA

Is it sad that sometimes I really do wish it was that last night of my life...

Take over the world! hahahaha I know why but it made me think of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9B6adXz6GbA

Is it sad that sometimes I really do wish it was that last night of my life...

1. Why did my laptop/computer problem make you think of a love song?

2. Why do you wish it was the last night of your life, you should never wish that!! 

3. We're getting off topic and I already got a warning today so I guess...switch back to on-topic?

1. Why did my laptop/computer problem make you think of a love song?

2. Why do you wish it was the last night of your life, you should never wish that!! 

3. We're getting off topic and I already got a warning today so I guess...switch back to on-topic?

1: because there's a part in the song where he says: Let's take over the world! Cause DJ God is falling in love again.

2. Because it was the worst christmas i've ever had in my entire life. I had no money to buy my family anything. We argued. I broke down into an emotional bawling session because the first 8 years of my life I had nothing but abuse and found love when i was adopted at age 8. My brother bought me Princess Celestia which was the best gift i've ever gotten and it embarrased the family and they judged me accept my brother.

3. Sorry about that. I can't break the fifth wall anymore or ever? So I'm kinda out. Although if were to offer an expert opinion it could be the router has improper settings related to how many wireless connections are allowed at the same time and the session expires after an hour or so. Which means when your laptop tries to get another session I.P. another device takes over. That's my theory so far.

Edit: welcome to the points club

Edited by TwilightCircuits
  • Brohoof 1

Huge post ftw.

Depending on the type of router you have, you might be able to increase the DHCP range to fix it (assuming that's the problem anyway).

Find a computer that's able to connect to the wireless, and open up a browser and go to the IP of the router (typically it'll be 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1, but it depends how it was all set up - if neither of those work, use "ipconfig /all", find the main wireless connection, and there should be something like "Default Gateway" which I believe is the router IP).

You'll need the login info for your router. Some routers will have the fabulously secure default of "admin" being the username and no password, others will have randomly generated passwords, so hopefully you or your dad know the login.

From there you'll want to find something along the lines of DHCP settings or DHCP range. It'll be something like 192.168.1.100 ~ 150 (again, depends on how it was set up), so just increase the range between those by 20 or so and see if it helps.

If you can't log in to your router, or you can't find the DHCP settings page (some routers don't let you adjust the range), use "ipconfig /all" on a few computers that are connected to the wireless to check their IPs and get an idea of where the range starts. (So for example if they end in 51, 52, 54, 57, etc. your range probably starts at 50 or so). Also, write down the info for (these 3 things should theoretically be the same on all the computers):

-Default Gateway

-Subnet Mask

-DNS Servers (there's usually two of them listed, if there's more than that just write down the top two)

Then go back to your laptop and (I'm assuming Windows 7 here), go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings.

Find the wireless adapter (which should just be named "Wireless Network Connection"), right click it, and click "Properties". In the list of random gibberish in the Networking tab, find "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", click it, and click the "Properties" button.

Click the bubble for "Use the following IP address", and put in an IP that's just slightly below the range you found above (so in my example, something like 192.168.1.40 should work). Then use the stuff you wrote down earlier to fill the rest of the lines out, and click OK. You might have to disable and re-enable the adapter to make the changes take effect (I don't think you have to, but Windows can be picky sometimes). From there try to connect to the Internet and see if it lets you connect.

Hopefully that'll fix it for you, but if it doesn't you'll probably want to go back and click the other bubbles for getting your IP and DNS settings automatically, since typically you don't want a static IP unless you need to have it set to connect (or if you're doing crazy stuff like hosting).

If the DHCP range / static IP don't help then it's most likely an issue with the laptop as opposed to the router's DHCP, so you might want to have it looked at.

PS - I have a tendency to forget to check back on topics I've posted in, so if you need clarification or anything and I don't reply here you can feel free to add me on Skype (my Skype user is encon21) and I'll try to help you out. :3