Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Alphabet Do Ponies Use?

Feather Gem

Because in the first episode, Twilight is reading a boom about Nightmare Moon.  And the book has this other alphabet in it.  Perhaps this is a special alphabet only used in certain spell books or such.

And in the episode Swarm of the Century, two ponies hang up a banner with 'Welcome Princess Celest'  And the Welcome is in the alphabet we use.

So...what alphabet do ponies use? (I'm sure there's other examples somewhere)

• Brohoof 1

Allow me to point you to this extremely well-written analysis and subsequent discussion of the alphabets of the unicorns and their related symbolism, undertaken by the talented and dedicated @SasQYou'll find a full blown review of the letters that appear and the breakdowns of the individual glyphs as well :)

http://mlpforums.com/topic/45522-alphabet-of-the-unicorns/

• Brohoof 3

• 11 months later...

If you look closely in the books the ponies read, you can see they use some kind of weird abstract-kind of text.

However, it translates to English to them.

I don't get it and I don't want to.

My head will explode.

• Brohoof 1

Because in the first episode, Twilight is reading a boom about Nightmare Moon.  And the book has this other alphabet in it.  Perhaps this is a special alphabet only used in certain spell books or such.

And in the episode Swarm of the Century, two ponies hang up a banner with 'Welcome Princess Celest'  And the Welcome is in the alphabet we use.

So...what alphabet do ponies use? (I'm sure there's other examples somewhere)

I remember the alphabet from when Twilight was erectin' a boom. I think it was because of how old the book is, in the same way we view Old English. Or because the animators didn't actually want to "write" the book.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

Judging by how their society is made up of 3 different species, all which have been shown to have their own cultural pasts and dialects. They most likely have a "basic" alphabet, one that is used in government systems, road signs and other government funded areas and standard public spaces. They then have regional dialects and alphabets, from the pegasi of cloudsdale, to the earth ponies. 

• Brohoof 2