Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were Twilight's friends actually useful in the CHS novel?

Commander_PonyShep

9 users have voted

1. 1. Did Twilight's friends show signs of resourcefulness in Crystal Heart Spell?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

For me, I'd like to believe that they are.

Normally, in most medieval cultures, leaders are chosen by divine right.  Equestria, on the other hand, nearly has no such thing; rather than being chosen, princesses prove themselves by displaying qualities of a true leader, such as love and/or friendship.  As a result, their subjects would reach an overall consensus, namely that their leaders had proven themselves worthy of guiding them to a better future.  Otherwise... well, you saw what happened to King Sombra...

It's the same thing with Twilight, especially in The Crystal Heart Spell.  For her to become a full-fledged leader, she had to create an overall consensus from her friends, namely by accepting their ideas on how to lead Equestria.  For example, Pinkie Pie suggested Cake Day, Rainbow Dash suggested pegasus royal guards, Applejack family dinner, Fluttershy animal shelters, and Rarity royal fashions.  Had it not been for that consensus from her friends, she would never have become a true leader, and would've ended up like King Sombra before her: Never dependent on her friends' consensus and would rather close herself up from others at their own expenses.

Originally, she was reluctant to accept their ideas, and even took bad advice from Gilda to disregard their ideas and just do what she and she alone wants.  But by the end, as soon as Princess Cadence opened Twilight's eyes, she apologized to her friends and learned a valuable lesson, that her friends had as much of a say in politics as she did, and will always help her even if they aren't alicorn princesses just like her.  We then see Twilight host Pinkie's Cake Day in Ponyville, as she then gives credit to her friends for their unique ideas.

At that point, most of you might argue that Twilight's friends would've retained their usefulness if they were in a save-the-world situation, and that The Crystal Heart Spell was a slice-of-life story and therefore doesn't count.  Well for me, resourcefulness doesn't always have to revolve around save-the-world situations.  Sometimes, friends can retain their resourcefulness for simple, slice-of-life situations, especially when one of their own is struggling even while the world isn't in danger.  Who knows?  Twilight's friends giving her leadership advice might also be a small sign that they could still retain their resourcefulness for save-the-world situations as well.  Hell, even their human-counterparts from Equestria Girls were still necessary to help Twilight recover her stolen tiara, and yet I still would've preferred that Twilight brought her real friends through that mirror, rather than just Spike and Spike alone!

But other than that, what do you think?

So, is anyone going to post on my thread?  I'd like that, because I wanted to know if Twilight's friends retained their usefulness by providing Princess Twilight advice on how to lead Equestria.

(edited)

Why isn't anyone responding to this topic?  I've asked a simple question and hoped for a response, and yet a lot of people outright refused to respond here!  img-1563152-1-angry.png

Dude your not going to get anyone to respond to your question if your going to post something like this and act like a little kid who is not getting his way.

True, it can be frustrating putting up a topic and not  have anyone post on it. I have a bunch of those. It could just mean people don't have really anything to say about this topic or u mad a good case. It's not that they are refusing to post, they may not just know how to respond to this.

As for the question I guesses they did, seeing as she mentioned them. I have yet to read it so I'm not sure.

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 3

Dude your not going to get anyone to respond to your question if your going to post something like this and act like a little kid who is not getting his way.

True, it can be frustrating putting up a topic and not  have anyone post on it. I have a bunch of those. It could just mean people don't have really anything to say about this topic or u mad a good case. It's not that they are refusing to post, they may not just know how to respond to this.

As for the question I guesses they did, seeing as she mentioned them. I have yet to read it so I'm not sure.

Again, when I said that Twilight's friends were trying to help her, I meant the following:

-Pinkie Pie suggested Cake Day

-Applejack suggested family dinners

-Fluttershy suggested animal shelters

-Rarity suggested royal fashions

-Rainbow Dash suggested royal guard pegasi

Hell, even their human-counterparts from Equestria Girls were still necessary to help Twilight recover her stolen tiara, and yet I still would've preferred that Twilight brought her real friends through that mirror, rather than just Spike and Spike alone!

But other than that, what do you think?

I have no problem at all with the fact that she brought Spike. Spike is her real friend, just as much as the rest of the mane six are. He already gets excluded from enough activities, and it would have made me, and probably a lot of others, sad if he hadn't been in Equestria Girls. But it wouldn't have really worked if Twilight went into the human world and tried to get a human Spike to be her assistant, so the reasoning behind bringing him with made sense.

Anyway, I think Twilight's friends were very useful in the CHS novel. They came up with some decent ideas, and they helped her realize what it would take for her to become a good ruler.

Why isn't anyone responding to this topic?  I've asked a simple question and hoped for a response, and yet a lot of people outright refused to respond here!  img-1563152-1-angry.png

Calm down. People might not see this post, or they might not have read the book. Or if they have seen this and have read the book, they might have time for a quick poll vote, but be too busy to type out a response. I've posted topics that have barely gotten any responses. It happens. It takes a lot of patience to wait for replies. And honestly, a post like that is probably going to discourage the more timid ones from replying, so for future posts, it's best not to get angry at people for not replying smile.png

• Brohoof 1

I think they are useful because, they help with a lot of festivities at the Crystal Pony fair and try to cheer the Crystal Ponies up. So, it would be fair to say that they contributed to the help of Twilight with the Crystal Ponies.

I think they are useful because, they help with a lot of festivities at the Crystal Pony fair and try to cheer the Crystal Ponies up. So, it would be fair to say that they contributed to the help of Twilight with the Crystal Ponies.

Let's not forget about the way they bought Twilight time with their lives, long enough for her to grab the real Crystal Heart, despite her sending Spike to do the job himself.

But really, we're talking about the book, The Crystal Heart Spell, not the two-part Crystal Empire arc.  I just wish that, on the polls, the "no" choice didn't outvote the "yes" choice, because seeing the votes makes me think I'm not allowed to believe that Twilight's friends are actually useful.

Again, why isn't anyone responding to my thread?  I have a huge, huge question to ask, and yet people keep ignoring me.

And, what makes this even worse is that in the poll, the "no" choice is beating the "yes" choice by one vote.  If there is anything this is telling me, it's that Twilight's friends are becoming more and more irrelevant, while Twilight herself becomes an overpowered monster thanks to her rising into an alicorn princess.

Again, why isn't anyone responding to my thread?  I have a huge, huge question to ask, and yet people keep ignoring me.

And, what makes this even worse is that in the poll, the "no" choice is beating the "yes" choice by one vote.  If there is anything this is telling me, it's that Twilight's friends are becoming more and more irrelevant, while Twilight herself becomes an overpowered monster thanks to her rising into an alicorn princess.

Yeah, I haven't seen anypony who said no come in and explain why. Please, if it's not too much trouble, we'd like to know why you think her friends weren't useful.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much, because the book was written by G. M. Berrow, who hasn't written for the show. S/he might not have a full realization of the characters. I'm sure they'll be even more useful on the show :)

Yeah, I haven't seen anypony who said no come in and explain why. Please, if it's not too much trouble, we'd like to know why you think her friends weren't useful.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much, because the book was written by G. M. Berrow, who hasn't written for the show. S/he might not have a full realization of the characters. I'm sure they'll be even more useful on the show smile.png

Well you know what?  As a crazed, obsessive, and overall psychotic fanboy with almost no life at all, I hereby decree that, at least in my opinion, Equestria Girls is non-canon, while Crystal Heart Spell is canon.

Well you know what?  As a crazed, obsessive, and overall psychotic fanboy with almost no life at all, I hereby decree that, at least in my opinion, Equestria Girls is non-canon, while Crystal Heart Spell is canon.

That's totally fine :) All I'm saying is, whether it's canon or not, I wouldn't worry too much. Twilight's friends will likely be very useful and get plenty of screentime in Season 4.

Let's not forget about the way they bought Twilight time with their lives, long enough for her to grab the real Crystal Heart, despite her sending Spike to do the job himself.

But really, we're talking about the book, The Crystal Heart Spell, not the two-part Crystal Empire arc.  I just wish that, on the polls, the "no" choice didn't outvote the "yes" choice, because seeing the votes makes me think I'm not allowed to believe that Twilight's friends are actually useful.

Hi Commander. I've not read the book, so I can't intelligently comment on the contents of said book. From what I've seen only a small percentage of posters in this forum have read the book at all.

However, you seem to falling into a trap that you've been in before and managed to work your way out of previously. You're letting other people's opinions dictate yours. "makes me think I'm not allowed...." At no point does anyone on this forum have the ability to 'allow' you or 'disallow' you from believing something. If they have reasons that can *convince* you of their position, that's fine, but simply having a lot of people state their opinion without supporting evidence does not make it true. If it was, then 4chan would have destroyed this planet several times over by now.

Hi Commander. I've not read the book, so I can't intelligently comment on the contents of said book. From what I've seen only a small percentage of posters in this forum have read the book at all.

However, you seem to falling into a trap that you've been in before and managed to work your way out of previously. You're letting other people's opinions dictate yours. "makes me think I'm not allowed...." At no point does anyone on this forum have the ability to 'allow' you or 'disallow' you from believing something. If they have reasons that can *convince* you of their position, that's fine, but simply having a lot of people state their opinion without supporting evidence does not make it true. If it was, then 4chan would have destroyed this planet several times over by now.

True, when you think about it.

Besides, I'm entitled to my own opinion.  Even if other people have facts to back up their own opinions, it doesn't mean I have to agree with them all the time.  If I want to believe Twilight's friends helped her realize her full potential as a leader, rather than do nothing as most people on this message board kept claiming, then I'm free to believe that.  I can respect their opinion, but in no way do I have any obligation to actually agree with them, no matter how true they can be.