Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

H.P.Lovecolt24

OK here's my first ever attempt at a fanfic. Adventure seemed like the best header choice but it really has a bit of everything in it and might get a little dark by the end so just a heads up. also I know how a fair number of people feel about Alicorns especially Alicorn OCs but i'm asking please give this guy a chance I think you'll like him happy.png.

as always constructive criticism is welcome.

Chapter 1.

King Sombra's Legacy.

As Twilight Sparkle and Princess Cadence descended the twisting staircase, Cadence spoke softly. "Thank you so much for helping me map King Sombra's secret passages. I wouldn’t even be able to come down here is it wasn’t for your magic."
Twilight glanced back at her with a timid smile. "It’s no problem, really, I’m glad to help. but...I really don’t like using this spell.  It makes me feel strange inside, like I’m filled with hate and greed that’s not my own."
"That’s horrible!" responded Cadence in shock. "If I had known that I'd have left this place sealed off."
"That’s okay.  It doesn’t feel like a part of me when it happens, so I can control it pretty well. Besides, this gives me a chance to test a theory I have about this door down here." She smiled as they reached the bottom of the stairs at long last.  Twilight’s eyes gleamed as she saw the door. Her heart swelled with joy at the thought of a new hypothesis tested. 
"Okay, try to get the door under one of the other stones to the right," Twilight said as Cadence looked upon the hidden room for the first time.  She noticed subtle stone markers along the rounded wall just above where the top of the door ended. Candace walked towards the door, and as she did it darted from her, sliding itself to the other end of the room. "There!" Twilight shouted as a lavender glow emitted from her eyes and a beam of dark energy shot from her spiral horn into the crystal at the top of the door.
"Twilight!" Cadence’s voice quivered with the realization. "This door spirals up the entire stairs...there could be hundreds. No! Thousands of hidden rooms under the Crystal Palace." The thought of what could be waiting for them in any of those rooms filled her with dread.
"I know! Isn’t it exciting?" Twilight squeaked with excitement.
"Exciting isn’t the word I had in mind," Cadence muttered to herself as the approached the door.
"Now be prepared. Spike and I were forced to live out our worst fears as we opened it last time." Cadence’s mind immediately conjured images of loss and despair; she didn’t know what she would do if she ever lost Shining Armor. Fortunately the Door swung open without incident and the two princesses cautiously stepped inside.
What lay before them was definitively underwhelming. A simple room with unadorned amethyst walls. The only thing of significance was a large red gemstone pillar, possibly made of fire ruby; Twilight wasn’t sure. At this time Twilight truly regretted not bringing Rarity or Spike along.  Either one of them could have identified it in a second. Sadly Rarity was too busy with her new line of hats and Spike was insistent on staying behind to help her. Ogle her is more like it, Twilight thought. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Cadence let out a horrified gasp.

“Twilight! Come look at this, somepony’s trapped inside!”

As Twilight stepped closer she could see that sure enough somepony was inside, a stallion by the looks of it.

“We need to get him out of there,” Twilight said with obvious signs of concern in her voice.

“But what if he’s...” Cadence couldn’t bring herself to finish the thought. Twilight didn’t seem to pay any attention to Cadence’s concern however. She spun on her hooves to face Cadence.

“I’m going to need your help. Rarity taught me a spell she uses to cut and reshape gems, but this one’s way too big.  I’ll need you to lend me some of your power. I shouldn’t need to focus on shaping it, so hopefully with that and your added magic we should be able to cut him free.”

“Alright!” Cadence couldn’t hide the apprehension in her voice. She placed her horn next to Twilight’s and began to lend her her power. Twilight strained as she focused on chiseling away chunks of crimson until finally the stallion fell free of his stone prison. 

“He’s a Unicorn!” Twilight shouted as she noticed the saber-like horn protruding from his head as he lay there, his breathing labored. He was clearly young, almost a colt.  His coat was white broken up by long curls from his black mane and tail. He appeared to be clad in some sort of iron plate mail that ran the length of his back and flank.  What kind of pony this was was the last thing on Cadence’s mind.  In fact she couldn’t tell if Twilight’s amazement was stemming from her over abundant curiosity, or if this was just another one of her socially awkward moments.

“We need to get him to a hospital!” Cadence almost shouted as she poked Twilight with her hoof.

“Oh, right!” Twilight snapped out of her inquisitive daze and began levitating the near lifeless unicorn up the stairs.

The winds were biting cold as a robed figure gazed up the frost covered hill side towards a desolate cave. Everypony knows the frozen north is home to all manner of dreaded creatures, Windego chief among them. This figure, however, couldn’t care less about Windego or yetis. He was seeking darker things. As he stepped into the cave his horn emerged from under his hood and began to light his way as he trekked deeper into the cavern towards a large circular chamber. Once there he used his magic to reshape the rocks and ice into a crude sort of alter. At its top he place a very peculiar looking broken horn, shaped like a curved saber…and blood red at its tip. The robed figure gazed upon it in reverence, regretting that he would have to wait until the others arrived to begin the ritual in earnest.

“This was a waste of my time!” the grizzled doctor muttered to himself at Twilight and Cadence entered the room.

“How is he, Doctor Cottage?” Twilight asked, her eyes wide with both concern and interest in the medical diagnosis.

“Utterly boring!” spat the doctor in absolute contempt. “I honestly thought treating an Alicorn would have been more interesting.”

“Alicorn!!!” Twilight and Cadence shouted in unison, both thinking they had heard the doctor wrong.

“He’s just dehydrated. We’ve got him on an IV now he should be good to go in a few hours.”

“Can we see him?” asked Cadence.

“Sure, knock yourselves out” Dr. Cottage said as he limped down the hall, “and if you need anything, call somepony else!”

They ignored his rudeness and rushed into the room, both eager to see this ‘alicorn’ for themselves. And there he was, the unicorn they had rescued, only now with his armor off.  Seated in the hospital bed, his wings were clearly visible. His wings seemed small, possibly underdeveloped for his age, with white feathers tipped with black triangular markings. He looked up at them, confused for a moment, then spoke. 

“Ah, you must be the two lovely young mares I was told facilitated my rescue. You have my eternal gratitude.” He smiled, reveling his sharply elongated wolf teeth.

“Yes,” said Twilight, a little uneasy. “My name is Twilight Sparkle.”

“And I am Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire. it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Well, this is awkward,” he said, not sure how to proceed. “You see, I am Prince Sundered Sky of the Crystal Empire…but you can simply call me Sunder.” There was a long silence before it was finally broken. “How long was I encased in that fire ruby?”

Twilight squeed in delight. “Ha! It was a fire ruby!”

Cadence simply rolled her eyes before returning her gaze to Sundered Sky. “I would have to say just a little over a thousand years…” Sunder just stared at her, bewildered by what he had just heard. 

Twilight and Cadence looked at each other and again spoke in unison “We’d better contact Princess Celestia!”

It was a long and awkward train ride to Canterlot.  It took a lot of convincing on Twilight’s part to even get Sundered Sky on the train in the first place.  Once they were on, his questions only stopped long enough for him to look out the window or focus in on some modern contraption while he formulated new questions.  Cadence could only smile to herself as she heard a hint of frustration in Twilight’s voice, because she could still see the gleam in Twilight’s eyes as she gave unnecessarily long and over detailed answers to every simple question he had.  She loved it!  Flaunting her knowledge the same way other girls would flaunt new jewelry or boots. Cadence couldn’t help but smile to herself and think that there are some things that will never change.

Sundered Sky Stood at the platform, his regal form visibly trembling now, his armor gently chattering. The train had been gone for almost a full minute now and the Princesses just looked at him in confusion. Twilight was the first brave enough to break the silence.

“What’s wrong, Sunder?” Concern bleed over every word she spoke.

“I… I don’t have a home anymore…” Sunder’s trembling became more distinct as tears ran down his face. At this moment a realization flooded Twilight’s mind.  Sure, he had been curious about how the world had changed, but that was secondary. In reality his endless flood of questions served another purpose, to keep him from thinking about what was to come. Cadence stepped towards him now and spoke to him in a soft comforting tone unique to her.

“You’re not homeless. You will always be welcome in the-” Before she could finish the thought a brash and hostile voice interrupted.

“There you are!  Where the hey have you been? You missed our flying session hours ago!”

They all looked over to see a young and rough looking cyan Pegasus with the most vibrant rainbow colored mane approaching the rather stunned group.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight practically barked her name with frustration. “I left you a note yesterday. ‘Dear Rainbow Dash, Sorry but I‘ll have to give our flying lessons a miss. Cadence needs my help with something important in the Crystal Empire. Sorry, Twilight.’ Didn’t you read it!?” Twilight was visibly annoyed now as Rainbow Dash just rolled her eyes.

“You know if it’s not the latest Daring Doo book, I ain’t reading it!” She shot Sunder a wicked glance. “And who’s this guy?” she asked almost offensively.

“We rescued him from one of King Sombra’s traps underneath the Crystal Palace,” Twilight began explaining before she noticed Sunder bowing to Rainbow Dash.

“Greetings. I am Prince Sundered Sky of the Crystal Empire.  It is an honor to meet the friend of my rescuers.”

“Get up, that’s embarrassing.” Rainbow shot him a smile. “I’m Rainbow Dash.” she said as she forcibly clopped her hoof to his and shook.  Sunder stared curiously at strange gesture.

“So why the long face, Sunder?” Rainbow asked while Sunder just turned his head away.

“He’s afraid that after being trapped for so long he has no home left to go to.” Twilight’s words were rife with sorrow for her newfound friend’s plight. “We’re on our way to see what Princess Celestia has to say.”

“Pfffttt. You got nothing to worry about, then,” Rainbow dash blurted out. “I mean it’s not like Princess Celestia banishes ponies.” As she finished her statement she caught disapproving stares from Twilight and Cadence.  They began to shake their heads in unison. “ok she only banishes ponies for a good reason.” Rainbow Dash corrected herself.

Sunder dropped his head “the circumstances of my birth may prove reason enough.” and with that he began a slow trot towards Canterlot castle, the others simply looked on in confusion before fallowing after a moment later.

• Brohoof 1