Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Japanese Onomatopoeia: What's Your Favorite?

DJ Legionpony

As I've studied Japanese, my favorite quirk of it is the large amount of onomatopoeia and sounds you can't explain in one word of English. From "Garigari"(scratching sound) to "Bokun"(breaking of a rigid object), there are many words that are quite interesting.

Do you have a favorite one? What's the strangest one you've discovered? Do tell. :D

• Brohoof 1

Well the only japanese i learn is thru Sub-anime, which sometimes i prefer over english dub ugh.... :eww:

As for my favorite words Bakka would be my favorite :D

Dunno if what you meant is that since i don't understand the whole homotowhatever :blink:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Pachipachi (applause). Back when I was in Japanese class a couple of people started saying it whenever they applauded. It soon spread to the rest of the class, and to this day, I can't clap without thinking (and sometimes even saying) "pachi pachi pachi".

• Brohoof 2

じぃーっ (Jiiii). The sound of the stare. Very useful when your friend does something incredibly weird and you want to let them know that you saw everything. Also useful for those times where you don't believe a word they're saying; no words necessary, just give them the stare.

• Brohoof 1