Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Debate Pit for MLP-related topics

StarSwirlTheBearded

It has occurred to me multiple times recently that MLP-related topics can get very heated.  For example, I've been closely monitoring a thread I made a couple of weeks ago titled "Should I watch Equestria Girls?", which has at times escalated to DP-like conditions.  Thus, I consider adding a Debate Pit for things pertaining My Little Pony.  I suppose that it isn't really necessary, but a lot of threads seem like they need it.

As with most subsections it depends on the amount of threads that exist that need sorting. I dont think this idea is bad, I just dont know how many threads we'd have for it. It could become complicted for moderators deciding whether a topic is debate worthy or Sugarcube corner worthy.

• Brohoof 1

With how conservative the site staff tends to be about creating subforums I highly doubt this will happen, the debate pit only happened because of the massive influx of political and religious topics in general discussion. After a massive influx of Equestria Girls and twilicorn topics flooded show discussion and sugarcube corner they had their own sections but those were dissolved once they outlived their usefulness.  And there is also the matter of exactly what makes a topic more "debate" or sugarcube corner/show discussion worthy? Topics on clop and grimdark are the closest I can think of that may warrants their own subsection but all suggestions for that have been turned down and theoretically nearly any topic that would fall under sugarcube corner or show discussion has the potential to devolve into a flame war. The fact is that no matter what section is being posted in users should still be respectful to each other and inappropriate behavior should be reported.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

Bottom line is, there aren't nearly as many 'tabboo from the getgo' pony discussions as there are with overall discussions, which have everything from religion to politics, ethics, other beliefs, etc. As my pinned topic inside the Debate Pit says,

> As a rule of thumb, users should treat this subforum as an extension of General Discussion. This means no fandom stuff. Topics 'debating' fandom concepts or anything MLP:FiM related in and out of show does not belong here, but instead over in Show Discussion or Sugarcube Corner, depending on the topic. Even if you organize a fandom topic to be like a debate in both title and post content, it doesn't belong here. This section is aimed towards things like politics, religion, moral and ethical concepts overall, not show or fandom stuff.

They could make a section where threads that got too ridiculous could be moved to, but at that point it's probably better to just lock them.

Which means it comes down to that. The few pony discussions that have gotten out of hand tend to be clop topics, and that's about it. Those were just locked when they got to the undesirable point, and I believe it's better to not go through unnecessary segregation again, and confuse even more people and make even further work for the staff, for something that won't garnish very many topics at all.

• Brohoof 1

For example, I've been closely monitoring a thread I made a couple of weeks ago titled "Should I watch Equestria Girls?", which has at times escalated to DP-like conditions.

Please start reporting heated posts if you see any thread outside the debate pit reach that point. Every last one of them.