Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tips for an aspiring artist.

I don't draw but I do create, so I guess this advice is more generic. But the mantra "practice makes perfect" is soo true. The more you draw (or sculpt, or sew, or ice carve, or blow up mountains to make Presidents' faces, or whatever it is you do), the better you'll get at it! Don't get discouraged if you don't love your drawings at first. Creative people have a curse where we get better as we create things, so it never looks quite good enough to us. But I promise if you stick with it you will see improvement ^.^ 

Oh, also, look at people who make beautiful art in the style you like to do. Let their pieces inspire you, and if they're willing to give advice, take it!

• Brohoof 1

Try drawing individual body parts/objects over and over again until you get their general shape down. Once you do that with all the body parts on a creature/pony/person or all the objects you want in a scene, it's much easier to draw a complete picture from scratch.

Edited by Tholos
  • Brohoof 2

As stated previously; practice, practice, practice! That's the biggest piece of advice you'll get. Also, look for mistakes that you've made in your own work, then try to correct it. If you flip your page around and look at your drawing from different angles you'll be able to see some of the flaws in your work more easily. 
Look around at the art that others have made and try to get your own style down. But again, practice. Just keep on drawing and don't get discouraged. 

• Brohoof 1

If you are going to use acrylics some advice, paint lightly, the colors come out just as bright as they are on the bottle, unlike water paints. Dry and clean your brush out really, really well. Watery paint looks terrible and the paints are really sticky. They also need to dry alot so patience is a key here, though you don't normally need to go back over it very often. Acrylics are hard but very rewarding.

Oil paints suck, I can't stand them so brava for being so brave to use them. Very pretty just messy and time consuming

Now as a basic art advise take a step back from your art from time to time. If you get too close you are going to hate it when everyone else is loving it. Love your work before you even start. (this is going to sound silly) Talk to your canvas. Tell it you are going to love how ever it comes out, cause in all realiry you are telling yourself you know your talent level and you love your own work.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If you are going to use acrylics some advice, paint lightly, the colors come out just as bright as they are on the bottle, unlike water paints. Dry and clean your brush out really, really well. Watery paint looks terrible and the paints are really sticky. They also need to dry alot so patience is a key here, though you don't normally need to go back over it very often. Acrylics are hard but very rewarding.

Oil paints suck, I can't stand them so brava for being so brave to use them. Very pretty just messy and time consuming

Now as a basic art advise take a step back from your art from time to time. If you get too close you are going to hate it when everyone else is loving it. Love your work before you even start. (this is going to sound silly) Talk to your canvas. Tell it you are going to love how ever it comes out, cause in all realiry you are telling yourself you know your talent level and you love your own work.

Actually that sounds like it makes sense. Thanks!  ^_^

img-2573108-1-thumb-do-a-lot-of-work-659

This image is some of the best advice I've ever received as an artist.

Wow! both of you guys, thanks! that is amazing advice. 

Edited by Eldwain