open By the Grace of Luna's Deep Pockets - A Saga

DustyQuill

After a few minutes of shame rolling, I steal a couple glances at Spacer to make sure she isn't mad. Even though she seems not to be, I still turn red thinking about what a doof I was. Eventually, I once more settle into a sleeping position, and after a few minutes I'm once more asleep soundly.

(edited)

I still sit outside on a stump, staring into the fading fire. I quickly look up as I hear a pony walking around, but it is just Spacer, for some reason sitting on a log, and then laying down, using a wing and grass as a blanket. I slowly walk towards her, and sit down. "Hey, why aren't you in your warm tent?" I ask her.

(I assume you are laying down anyway)

Edited by Brechard

I slowly look up to Alex to the now moon lit camp and make out his figure. "Oh hey Alex, I was just getting some air. Plus I think I might have upset or embarrassed Dusty" I say looking up at the stars then shrug. "I was going to go back in eventually just wanted to think about things." I say wiping my mane from in front of my face. "Why are you still up?" I say with curiosity.

"I'm gonna go to bed soon. Just, dunno. Just haven't gone yet." I say, messing up a bit. "Why do you think you embarrassed him? I'm sure he is alright." I take my glasses off and my eyes glow slightly. "But if you would rather leave him, I suppose there might be enough room for two in my coffin. Though we would have to cuddle close, and I haven't done that in a long time."

"I'm sure he will be too. I think he just had a weird dream of some sort" I said with a shrug then give a smile. "Thanks for the offer Alex but I don't think I'd be very comfortable." I say rubbing my shoulder. "I've never slept in a coffin before" I get up and stretch again. "But if I come across a bad place to sleep you bet I'll take you up on that offer" I say with a smile before heading back into the tent.

I lay back down and took a look at Dusty again to make sure he was okay then my heavy eyes lids took over my view and I was soon asleep again.

In the very early morning, about half an hour before the sun breaks the horizon, my eyes snap open, and I know I won't get back to sleep. I get up quietly so as not to wake Spacer and leave the tent. Outside, the very last smoldering remains of the fire are burning. I get some wood from nearby and get the fire hot again, then sprint down to the nearby market and pick up some eggs. I get back with them and start scrambling them over the fire. I make a huge batch so everyone can have their fill, and I also pull out some rolls to make egg sandwiches. I have a couple myself so I can focus on serving others, then wait for others to wake up while gazing at the surrounding nature and wondering what I could write about them

I didn't sleep so well last night, due to the cold and the dialogue that riddled my ears. My eyes blinked slowly in anguish as I struggled to-

Ooh what's that appetizing smell? I immediately thought, getting up to the sound of eggs being scrambled. It was Dusty, so I said, "Ah, well I see you're wide and awake. Where did you get- nevermind, I won't ask."

I got up from the tree and sat down near the fire.

• Brohoof 1

While making Oreo a sandwich I wordlessly hold up my Lunar card in response. "Yeah, I usually don't sleep all that long. For some reason, I've never needed it much." Once the sandwich is done, I use my magic to hold it out to him while continuing to make more sandwiches.

Slowly I open my eyes as I wake up in my coffin, and then close them again. "Meh, too tired to get up." I say and roll over, to try and get back to sleep. However I'm kept awake by small chatter and scrambling eggs. "What is that noise?" I ask, tired and slightly angry, and then I push open the coffin door, and then sit up, to see Dusty cooking eggs and Oreo eating a roll.

Looking over, I see that Alex has emerged from his uncommon bed. I grin and hold out a freshly made sandwich to him. "Hey there, good morning sunshine! Come n' get it!" I exclaim, floating the sandwich his way. "Gotta get some protein in you, we've got some traveling to do today!"

"No thanks. I don't eat eggs. I only really need to drink." I say to Dusty, pulling the flask out of the coffin. "This has all I need. Must seem pretty weird, but it really is good enough. And I had a magic spell put on the flask a long time ago so it refills itself, as long as at least one drop of whatever you want is in it, it will make more from it." I take another sip from it and put it back away.

I shrug and take the sandwich, putting it back on the plate with the others. I raise a brow at Alex and ask, "So if that flask is all you need, what is in it? Must be pretty powerful stuff if it can sustain life like that." With all the eggs cooked, I take a seat by the entrance of the tent and munch happily on another egg

"Uh." I rub my head. "Well it's blood. I didn't murder anypony to obtain it. But the mare who gave it to me put her blood in it. She was a very powerful vampony, her blood is one of the best that could be used to stay alive, and get stronger." I shrug at Dusty. "Is either that or I die anyway."

( tried to make that as light as I could)

My eyes widen, whether in glee or in fear it's at first hard to tell. "A... Vampony... So those are real after all..." After staying silent a moment, my face breaks out in a grin. "A real, live, VAMPONY! How cool is that??" I spring to my hooves and instinctively grab a scroll from my saddlebag, gearing up to write down notes. "Tell me, really, what's it like? How many of us here have you thought of taking blood from?"

"It's okay I guess. Living basically forever." I stop for a moment to actually think about what it's like. "It's just like being a normal pony, but we need to drink blood to survive, which is why my flask comes in handy. Then we don't age. It burns a bit when we go into sunlight, so I prefer to go out at night." I giggle at the thought of drinking all of their blood. "Well, I haven't really thought about it, except of course when I was waking up and there was a lot of noise." 

I frown a bit. "You're not able to go outside in the sun without getting burned? What kind of burn are we talking here? Sunburn? Flesh melting?" While I ask this, I'm taking note of everything Alex is telling me, the words appearing directly on the scroll without the aid of a quill.

"Well, just like how any other pony gets sunburn, but we get it a lot faster and a lot worse. I have an umbrella in my coffin though." I chuckle slightly. "Yes, I do sleep with things like umbrellas and clothes for the next day in here." I get the flask and take another sip. 

Hearing all of the commotion outside, my eyes open and my ears turn to the talking source. Vampony? Hm no wonder he had a coffin. I thought before stretching out in the tent. I slept pretty good for being up last night for awhile. Still I couldn't wait to depart on a adventure.

The tent flap opened as I came into view of Dusty taking notes on Alex's vampony characteristic's. I covered my eyes a little to block out the rising sun as they adjusted and rested myself on a stump near the fire. I yawned a couple times and flapped my wings. I smelled egg sandwiches and couldn't help but hoof one off the plate and nibble on it as I listened to the others converse.

I smile at Spacer as I notice she has woken up. "Morning, Spacer! Go ahead and have as many eggs as you like," I say cheerfully. "By the way, in case I wasn't adamant enough last night, I would once more like to inform you that I am in fact sorry that in my sleep I don't always keep to myself. Kinda dumb, but it comes with the territory." I smile guiltily.

I watch Spacer come out of the tent and eat eggs. "Morning Spacer. Your mane is messy in a way that makes it seem you did some things during the night." I chuckle jokingly to her. "You want to borrow a brush? I've got one in here." I pull a brush out of the coffin and hold it in a hoof.

(sorry for late reply)

I swallow a bite from my sandwich before answering Dusty. "Good morning Dusty, its alright. I haven't been hugged in awhile and lets just say you surprised me but I didn't mind it." I give a warm smile. "I think I can handle your territorial self on our adventure." I said with a wink.

"Morning Alex" Just as I took another bite I heard what Alex said. I quickly put my sandwich down and feel my mane that was in all sorts of directions as if I wrestled with a bear. I blushed red. "No no no, there was no messing around last night....at least nothing I was aware of." I said trying to turn the question into a joking answer. I do nod for the brush and hoof it from Alex and begin the grueling task of getting the tangles in my mane occasionally making a face when the brush got caught in large knots. "The bad thing about camping is the morning after." I said with a quiet giggle. 

"Okay. You two don't seem like the sorta ponies that would do that within about an hour of knowing each other. And I think if there was a bear without any of us waking, you'd probably be able to handle it yourself." I take the brush once Spacer is done and put it back in the coffin. "But what ever you two potentially got up to is your business." I take yet another sip from the flask and then look at the ponies still sleeping around.

(is going to bed now.)

I grin at Spacer. "Well, hugs are always in high supply from me." I then turn and announce to the whole team, "Y'hear that? Hugs for everypony!" Turning to Alex, I explain, "While it's not fair to say she was up to anything in the night, it's certainly fair to say her rest may have been interrupted. See, I was having a dream in which Vinyl Scratch, myself, and some toast were the only defense for an entire town against a treacherous invasion of Star Spiders. While the trio was triumphant, the celebratory hug ended up being very real. Thus, shenanigans."

• Brohoof 1

"It may not be fair to say she did, but that mane. No offence Spacer." I laugh out at them. "And that deems sounds pretty weird. How the heck do you stop star spiders with toast? Couldn't you have just used a bass cannon if it was with Vinyl?" I step out of the coffin and then sit on a log.

I now finished my sandwich and giggled through my blushing face at Dusty's dream. "So that's what you were dreaming of." I stated "I sure wouldn't mind a hug from time to time that's for sure" I added to make sure things were good between us.

Alex's point did make sense and I added in "yaaaa where was vinyl's bass cannon? I mean toast only works for so long." I say with a part smike before getting up and started to collapse the tent. I shivered at the thought of the spiders again as I began to place the varies poles of the tent in a bag.