Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Editors for The Daily Canter (1x1 between Rainbow Eclipse and Eloquence)

Rainbow Eclipse

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Eloquence grinned despite herself and gave Riley a playful shove. "I may have romantic interests, and I may date ponies, but I wouldn't be interested in anypony who describes me like I'm some trophy or possession." She lifted her head in pride. "I consider myself too far too highly to be treated in such a manner." She tossed her mane with a smile before breaking her bravado with a laugh. "So, is Mr. Macho over there a friend of yours then?"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@@Eloquence,

Before Riley could get a word in, the buff pony invited himself into the conversation. "That's right!" he said, wrapping his broad arm around Eloquence. "Mr. Riley Blythe here is an awesome bar buddy!"

"Easy there, Brutus, you'll squeeze her lungs flat like a balloon!" joked Riley.

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

Eloquence grimaced as she was squeezed by the overbearing stallion, struggling to breathe and feeling very much in need of some personal space. She squirmed out of his grasp. "Ah, well isn't that lovely. Pleasure to meet you, erm, Brutus." She said after taking in a few large lungfuls of air.

@@Eloquence,

"Pleased to meet ya too, er..."

"Eloquence."

"Eloquence! Isn't that a wonderful name!" said Brutus.

Riley looked at the menu. "So... hayburgers, then? Bailey, the bartender here, makes really good ones," he said to Eloquence. "Perhaps you could write a review on it afterwards?"

"The... bartender makes them?" Eloquence asked, tilting her head and looking puzzled. "Don't bartenders usually just, well, bartend?" Though a bit unsure about the food, Eloquence had no intention of speaking ill of somewhere she was invited to by a friend, not to mention she was starving. "A hayburger sounds perfect, and I'll let you know later if I decide to write anything." she said, leaving the second part of her sentence intentionally vague. If she were going to write about this place, she wouldn't want any of it's staff knowing she might do so before she made up her mind.

@@Eloquence,

At that moment, Bailey showed up. "Hello, Riley!" he said, brohooving the red stallion. He turned to Eloquence.

"This is Eloquence," said Riley.

"Nice to meet ya, Ellie!" said Bailey.

"Two hayburgers?" said Riley.

"Coming right up!" said Bailey, and left to go make the food.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence hardly had time to say hello before the bartender was off and running. With him gone, she spoke to Riley, half looking at him and half looking at the various liquor bottles lined up behind the bar. "Is there anything else this bar serves, besides hayburgers and drinks?"

@@Eloquence,

Riley surveyed the menu. "Well... for food, you've got hayburgers, corn dogs, pretzels, onion rings... yeah, all the food this place serves is on the menu."

Just then, Bailey came back and threw one plate in front of each of them. On each plate lay a hayburger, dripping with grease.

Eloquence looked over at Riley's menu. "So standard fast food fare then. I expected as much, but of course to write my article I will have to find things that are unexpected."

She thanked the bartender when he returned with the food, then looked down at her hayburger. It looked somewhat unappetizing, but perhaps she would be pleasantly surprised. She apprehensively watched the grease drip from it as she levitated the hayburger to her mouth and took a small bite. It tasted alright, but not like something she would be writing about any time soon.

@@Eloquence,

Riley took a hearty bite of his hayburger. "Mmhmm!" he said through his mouthful. "As good as any other time!"

"Don't get too addicted to them," said Brutus, reaching over and lightly smacking Riley's belly.

"Hey!" said Riley with a giggle.

"It's true, you know," joked Brutus, and poked Riley's rump a bit. "You could build a town on this."

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence giggled at the two stallions and their exchange as she took small bites of her hayburger, knowing full well that she would regret eating all this grease but also knowing she was too hungry and polite not to. "This is pretty good Riley" she said, "and I was really in the mood for burgers."

Eloquence stopped munching on her burger, which was only about half-eaten at this point, to reply to her friend. "That would be lovely. Does this bar have any sort of signature drink? A local favorite, perhaps?" She took another bite and dabbed the grease from her mouth with the third napkin she'd picked up, the other two now too greasy to use.

@@Eloquence,

"Well... there's the Fruit Salad Alky, which basically tastes like lots of fruits mixed with vodka," said Riley. "I make sure to get one whenever I come."

He looked towards the bar. "Yo, Bailey! A couple of Fruit Salads over here?"

Bailey showed up with two small glasses of the drink and placed one in front of each pony.

Eloquence levitated her drink and took a sip, quickly finding that she was pleasantly surprised by it. Light, refreshing, but with a bit of a bite to it. She took another drink and licked her lips a bit. "This is delicious." she said to Riley as she looked into the glass, identifying the various fruits within it. "Now this is the sort of thing I'm looking for!" She pulled out her notebook and immediately started scrawling notes. She looked up for a moment to address Bailey. "Bailey, would you mind terribly if I asked you a question or two?"

@@Eloquence,

Bailey turned around to face Eloquence. "Certainly. What are they, Pretty-Eyes?" he asked.

Riley couldn't help but let a chuckle out at Bailey's flirting. 'Seriously dude, you need a marefriend,' he mused. Riley himself was currently single, but at least he had his ambitions locked on a certain mare.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence ignored the stallions awkward... flirting? Was that supposed to be flirting? She wasn't sure, but regardless she went ahead with her questions. "I'm a newspaper columnist, currently working on an article on Manehattan food and drink. Would you mind terribly if I made a few notes regarding your bar? Also, perhaps you could tell me a bit more about your drink specialties?"

@@Eloquence,

Bailey smiled. "Note-taking? No trouble at all, Mint-Cheeks. I'd be quite honoured to have this place appear in an article."

'I wonder what 'cheeks' he was referring to...' thought Riley with a snicker.

"But as for our drink specialties, I'm sorry, I can't let that information slip," he said. "If ponies knew how to make it, then we wouldn't get people coming in for it. But still, it's nice that you're interested."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Once again Eloquence did her best to ignore his odd commentary, though she did hope he meant the cheeks on her face...

"Oh, I just meant which of your drinks are especially popular or noteworthy. I certainly wouldn't expect you to divulge anything like your recipes, which of course you would want to keep secret."

(edited)

@@Eloquence,

"Well, the Fruit Salad Alky, the one you're having now, is quite popular," said Bailey. "Most of the drinks we manage to sell is cider, since it's the cheapest on the menu, and most of us have more than one mug."

Just then, a stallion feell to the floor. He struggled to get back up as he made some incoherent slurred speech.

"Good to know. I suppose cider is popular everywhere, isn't it? And I would imagine this alky would be popular, it's really delicious."

Her next sentence was stopped by the sound of a pony hitting the floor. She turned to look at the stallion. "Umm, should, should someone help him?" she asked.

@@Eloquence,

Before anypony else could get a word in, a mare, probably the stallion's wife, stormed into the bar. "There you are!" she said crossly, and grabbed the drunken stallion by the scruff of his neck.

"...This tends to happen a lot with that particular guy," explained Bailey.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"Oh, goodness..." Eloquence scrawled another note or two. This place was certainly interesting, if nothing else. She watched the stallion get dragged out, one eyebrow raised. "I suppose it would be rude of me to ask any questions, even if I am rather curious..." she said to no one in particular.

(edited)

@@Eloquence,

"He'll be fine next time he comes," explained Riley. "Shows up, gets drunk, gets dragged out, shows up, gets drunk, gets dragged out... and so the Circle of Life continues."

"This booze is the best!" announced the stallion. "Lick your glasses clean! Lick 'em like me and my sweetie here licked each other's cheeks last night!"

That earned him a firm clout around the back of the head from his wife before she dragged him out of the establishment completely.

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence nodded slowly as she sipped what was left of her alky. "What an odd relationship..." she muttered.

She finished her drink and spoke again. "So, do you have any other plans for today? I suppose I should start looking around for places to write about, but I'm still not sure where to start..."