Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How good Celestia is at performing tasks like weather etc.

silvadel

How proficient is Celestia  

13 users have voted

1. 1. How proficient is Celestia?

• She can apple farm better than AJ, do weather and tricks better than RD, etc. Beat any pony at their own talents
    • She can beat most ponies at their own talents and has done a wide range of things to master level
    • She has done what she has interest in and what her role demands, so unless she had a real interest in weather at some point, Dash could beat her at it.
    • She has had so many demands on her over the ages that except for a few specific things, she actually can do much less than you would expect

I had a somewhat heated "on the other side" discussion in skype about what Celestia could accomplish.  I said that Rainbow Dash probably has more experience with the weather than Celestia has.  To which I was told that that was the most stupid statement I had ever made.

But really, why would Celestia have spent say 10 years working with the weather, even in the couple of thousandish years that she has lived?  There would have to be a reason for her to do it or she would have to really enjoy it enough to make it a hobby.  If not, then RD should have more experience with it.

Ditto for tricks.  Celestia may have had a stunt flier kick at some time in her past, but most likely not.  She flies around enough to not be awkward at it, but she teleports more than flies to get from place to place when she isn't being carried.  If she tried to do a Dash level routine, her guards would have heart attacks. 

Could she gain such experience and knowledge?  Sure, but even with thousands of years of time, a pony as busy as Celestia does not have -- in my opinion -- enough time or will to accomplish mastery in more than a relatively few areas (she could be a secret masterpiece artist say), plus of course social knowledge at unparalleled levels through all the gatherings she has attended.

Edited by silvadel

Well, if you read the Journal of the Two Sisters, Celestia used to race Commander Hurricane, the fastest pegasus at the time(also first leader of the Wonderbolts, right?) In the show, the Wonderbolts thought it important enough to take note of her flight pattern; the Icharanian Sun Salutation. I'd say there's cause to believe she's a pretty impressive flier.

As for weather manipulation... Rarity, completely magically untrained, manipulated an entire weather system, to the point where she made the sunlight intense enough to burn the hair off of ponies. She also managed to cover a localized area in several feet's worth of snow. Luna casually and accidentally alters weather systems when she gets angry. I think her eggheaded older sister could do better if she was inclined to.

edit: as for being better in specific talents, probably not. I'm not going to say she can applebuck better than Applejack, that just seems a little far out for me.

Edited by Shimmer5000

Nope, I haven't read the Journal of the Two Sisters.  If Rainbow ever were to know that she had raced Hurricane, the first thing I expect her to do would be to beg Celestia to a race and then to teach her flying techniques.  Celestia would probably not be happy about it, but you never know.  What you said there elevated it to "one of Celestia's specific interests" at one time or another. 

Luna on the other hand seems quite a theatrical pony.  That she had a definite interest in weather, at least for dramatic effect, is assured.  Celestia is not Luna though.  Rarity's weather was an uncontrolled utter failure like the other ponies with mismatched talents in MMC.

Rarity's weather was an uncontrolled utter failure like the other ponies with mismatched talents in MMC.

True, but considering Rarity only had the talent for hours, the scope and scale of it was still impressive; she patterned clouds to the horizon in a geometric pattern. Celestia should be magnitudes more powerful magically, and if she didn't know how(doubtful, since she's more learned than Luna), she could probably learn incredibly quickly.

True, but considering Rarity only had the talent for hours, the scope and scale of it was still impressive; she patterned clouds to the horizon in a geometric pattern. Celestia should be magnitudes more powerful magically, and if she didn't know how(doubtful, since she's more learned than Luna), she could probably learn incredibly quickly.

Actually I always thought that MMC took place over the course of MONTHS.  I mean it takes quite a while for things to go downhill that much on the farm etc.

Actually I always thought that MMC took place over the course of MONTHS.  I mean it takes quite a while for things to go downhill that much on the farm etc.

Actually, you may be right, considering how far everything had degraded. It looks like she at least did it in the span of seconds, though.

I believe Celestia could decently perform tasks such as weather control and would certainly be strong enough to buck apples off a tree, assuming she didn't accidentally kick the tree over (though she'd probably just pick them magically like Twilight does). But this isn't really her "thing".

For example, Celestia can raise the sun AND moon.

She had to do all the night time stuff in place of Luna for a LONG time. But not only is it not her talent, but she would HAVE to get some sleep so she could deal with all the political crap during the day. So while I think she would be able to do a perfectly serviceable night, especially after centuries of practice, she doesn't really have the time or the artistic flair for it like Luna does. Her nights just aren't as pretty, just like Luna's sunrises wouldn't be as pretty as Celestia's.

I totally think Celestia, being a bit of an academic and several thousand years old, would have a working knowledge of a LOT of talents and jobs. But they aren't what she's meant to be doing.

That said, I have a headcanon...

For the sonic rainboom to have been an "old mare's tale" someone HAD to have done it a long time ago. But it had to be so long ago, and not have had many witnesses or anyone that wrote it down.

I like to imagine it was a young Celestia.  :D

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

As to Magical Mystery Cure taking place over months.  NO!  It is canon Episodes 1&2, took place over 2 days June 20 & 21.  In S4 E1 Princess Twilight says it is 2 days to Summer Sun Festival (canon) & Princess C strongly implies (but does not specify) that this is the 1st since Luna was freed of Nightmare Moon.  MMC, it shows T casts spell at night, next day the Cutie Marks are messed up & she spends all day trying to reverse it.  It is that night she returns as an alicorn.  The devastation was perhaps exaggerated to show how bad it was.

Shadobabe, you might be on to something about the Rainboom.  There have been hints, (mostly in the books & comics) that C has done more with her life than just sit on her butt in the palace.  Although, G1 Firefly might also be a contender.  She was 1st to fly to Earth & bring back a human, she had to be pretty good.

A better question might be Given the 1st Rainboom, why doesn't everyone know about it before E16 Sonic Rainboom?  It would be kind of like not knowing about a tornado or a major earthquake.  IMO, they knew about it (hard not to) but did NOT believe Dash was responsible.  Probably thought it was just some random disaster, a wizard spell gone awry, perhaps.  (Now, Dash, you see what constant bragging leads to?  You actually do something & everybody thinks you are just boasting)

As to RD outdoing C at weather control.  IMO, C is enormously capable, has over 1000 years experience, but she isn't better at everything than everybody.  D might well be able to do better at weather control than C.  (Wouldn't bet too heavy on it, though)

As to Magical Mystery Cure taking place over months.  NO!  It is canon Episodes 1&2, took place over 2 days June 20 & 21.  In S4 E1 Princess Twilight says it is 2 days to Summer Sun Festival (canon) & Princess C strongly implies (but does not specify) that this is the 1st since Luna was freed of Nightmare Moon.  MMC, it shows T casts spell at night, next day the Cutie Marks are messed up & she spends all day trying to reverse it.  It is that night she returns as an alicorn.  The devastation was perhaps exaggerated to show how bad it was.

Shadobabe, you might be on to something about the Rainboom.  There have been hints, (mostly in the books & comics) that C has done more with her life than just sit on her butt in the palace.  Although, G1 Firefly might also be a contender.  She was 1st to fly to Earth & bring back a human, she had to be pretty good.

A better question might be Given the 1st Rainboom, why doesn't everyone know about it before E16 Sonic Rainboom?  It would be kind of like not knowing about a tornado or a major earthquake.  IMO, they knew about it (hard not to) but did NOT believe Dash was responsible.  Probably thought it was just some random disaster, a wizard spell gone awry, perhaps.  (Now, Dash, you see what constant bragging leads to?  You actually do something & everybody thinks you are just boasting)

As to RD outdoing C at weather control.  IMO, C is enormously capable, has over 1000 years experience, but she isn't better at everything than everybody.  D might well be able to do better at weather control than C.  (Wouldn't bet too heavy on it, though)

That line is in 4/1 at any rate.  There is NO reference to the summer sun celebration in 3/13.  Yes 4/1->4/2 happened in a short time.  3/13 is open ended as to how much time it took.

As for "It all happened in a year," I do not fall into that camp.   

Silvadel  I'm trying to quote you, but my computer (& my lack of skill) prevent it

Princess Twilight obviously took place very shortly after the end of Season 3, IMO a day or 2 later.  As to "it took place over a year", I, too have strong doubts.  The weight of public opinion seems to favor this (that alone means it is probably wrong ;) ) & it does explain why the Summer Sun Festival is the only duplicated holiday

Getting back on topic, Celestia does seem to be getting weaker.  I mean 1000 years ago she singlehandedly sent Nightmare Moon to exile for 1000 years & in Princess Twilight she gets kidnaped & held captive by a weed?  Dash maybe could outdo her.

I point out, in Twilight's Kingdom, she could have taken all the power into herself & fought Tirek, instead she picked Twilight to do it.  This shows she trusted T to do better in the fight despite all her experience

Edited by sweetolebob18

i  think one if celstia tried half the stuff rainbow dash did on regular basis she wolud pulll a muscle that and the fact shes a troll 1 she gives twilight two tickets to the gala knowing she has six friends 2 sends luna to moon 3 makes spike puke up every letter twilight sent