Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starswirl's Unfinished Spell/Twilight's Completed Spell

Tree

Not too long ago, I watched the season 3 finale, "Magical Mystery Cure". Although, I did not understand one thing. What was the result of the completed spell supposed to be? When the Elements of Harmony transported Twilight the empty void, was it caused by the spell? Or was it simply Twilight being summoned by Celestia in order for the transformation to take place? I could hardly think that this "Masterpiece", as it is referred as, could merely be teleportation via Elements of Harmony...

The spell deals with the Elements of Harmony. It activated them and they teleported Twilight to that place and when she understood what was going on, she turned into an alicorn.

It was like a final exam. Twilight graduated in "friendhsip". Not because of the spell itself, but because the whole problem and experience gave her the insight to complete the spell.

• Brohoof 2

One thing that has been mentioned about that whole scene, when her friends zap her, is that they actually kill her and she is reborn an alicorn. It actually makes sense if you look at the scene. You see her being zapped and she finally puts her head down as if she's resigned to her fate and all that is left is a scorch of her cutie mark. Finally she ends up in this cosmic realm, read heaven, ( or Celestia's movie theater) and she sees her life flash before her eyes. Finally she descends in her new body and is reborn.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 4

One thing that has been mentioned about that whole scene, when her friends zap her, is that they actually kill her and she is reborn an alicorn. It actually makes sense if you look at the scene. You see her being zapped and she finally puts her head down as if she's resigned to her fate and all that is left is a scorch of her cutie mark. Finally she ends up in this cosmic realm, read heaven, ( or Celestia's movie theater) and she sees her life flash before her eyes. Finally she descends in her new body and is reborn.

Life lessons never truly end, you just need to figure out how to deal with those problems and reach another level. This was only a test of friendship, next will be another series of lessons to learn. 

There are so many things Twilight has yet to learn, friendship isn't the only thing on the list. Her transformation scene wasn't of her death, but a change of her appearance, celestia never said she died, just that she would become an alicorn. You don't become one by dying, that would be pointless.

Edited by Rosemary

I don't know about that, it could have just been a different realm. It was just to show her that she has not yet learned all she has to yet, becoming an alicorn was another step towards learning more about friendship. Its not that she died, more like she just evolved to serve a greater purpose.

Well, clearly it was a symbolic death, but a number of analysts mentioned it around the time the episode premiered. If you watch the scene, and think about the symbolism, it is very clear (to me at least) that she was reborn. People might not like the idea, but I think Twilight left part of herself behind when she ascended.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Well, clearly it was a symbolic death, but a number of analysts mentioned it around the time the episode premiered. If you watch the scene, and think about the symbolism, it is very clear (to me at least) that she was reborn. People might not like the idea, but I think Twilight left part of herself behind when she ascended.

She is still the same regardless of her form, she still has moments of paranoia and the like, so there no real difference in her than she was then. Just another lesson, the higher you go, the more you must attain, but Twilight didn't feel happy about the change; more like she didn't deserve it. But her fight with tirek shows her determination to learn more about the world she is in, but some people will see in other ways.

This transformation could mean more than just symbolism, or it could mean nothing entirely. She doesn't change too much, her paranoia is still present sometimes, she still misjudges situations. But these are just my views of it, you don't have to take them seriously, even the analysts don't really know what it was; it was just their own opinion, not everypony else's.

Edited by Rosemary

The spell could also be a step to the Rainbow Power, something which would strengthen their connection to the Elements of Harmony, so that they don't need them anymore to keep their magic of Friendship and ultimaltely be able to unlock and control the Rainbow Power.

• Brohoof 1

The spell could also be a step to the Rainbow Power, something which would strengthen their connection to the Elements of Harmony, so that they don't need them anymore to keep their magic of Friendship and ultimately be able to unlock and control the Rainbow Power.

True, but there's more to it. The items they had were the keys also, which were also instrumental in bringing about that power.

True, but there's more to it. The items they had were the keys also, which were also instrumental in bringing about that power.

Indeed, there's more than Star Swirl's spell, but maybe they would not have got the chest and everything without the spell.

And the fact that " their friendship remains" as Fluttershy said, meaning that they still have the powers of the elements, though Celestia lost the connection - we don't know how long it took , thought, but that only a theory -

My first reply was OT. I think the spell unlocked the Magic of Friendship and her being "zapped" by her friends was the positive version of what the elements do to a villain. Rather than sending her to the moon or locking her in stone it allowed her to internalize all the elements and radiate them back. As Celestia said she showed all the elements, but added the final element of leadership that marked her as a true princess.

As an aside that's why Twilight is the Princess of Friendship and her friends aren't princesses. She's always been an amalgam of her friend's best traits, but she's also transcended them and added her own magic. However, she's also beholded to her friends which is why they have their own place in her castle.

Edited by Nature's Spell

My first reply was OT. I think the spell unlocked the Magic of Friendship and her being "zapped" by her friends was the positive version of what the elements do to a villain. Rather than sending her to the moon or locking her in stone it allowed her to internalize all the elements and radiate them back. As Celeatia said she showed all the elements, but added the final element of leadership

So...basically Starswirl was trying to create a spell to unlock the magic of friendship, but he couldn't finish it because he didn't have any friends?  I guess?  I just wonder what happens if one casts the completed spell.  I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but when Twi finished the spell and wrote it in the book, I didn't think she was actually casting it, but just writing it down.  It fixed their cutie marks, and then I thought her transformation just came from within, but I didn't think she actually casted the spell.  So, like the OP, I was unclear on what the spell was suppose to do.

That's a cool theory, and you know what it makes me think of?  Gandalf the White.

So...basically Starswirl was trying to create a spell to unlock the magic of friendship, but he couldn't finish it because he didn't have any friends? I guess? I just wonder what happens if one casts the completed spell. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but when Twi finished the spell and wrote it in the book, I didn't think she was actually casting it, but just writing it down. It fixed their cutie marks, and then I thought her transformation just came from within, but I didn't think she actually casted the spell. So, like the OP, I was unclear on what the spell was suppose to do.

That's a cool theory, and you know what it makes me think of? Gandalf the White.

Yes the spell is a little loosey goose, but my guess is SSB was trying to gain power or perhaps he found the elements and was trying to use them. But since he didn't understand friendship like Twilight he failed, and never finished the spell.

Yes, I've always liked the idea of her symbolically dying and being reborn. The look of resignation on her face, just before she disappeared, always struck me as her accepting her fate.

I'd love to read Larson's original draft of the script. He's made cryptic comments that the script was altered. Perhaps the alterations made certain things less clear. What's important to focus on is what Celestia told Twilight and I mentioned above. That is the clear reason she accended and everything else is bad paraphrasing.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Yes the spell is a little loosey goose, but my guess is SSB was trying to gain power or perhaps he found the elements and was trying to use them. But since he didn't understand friendship like Twilight he failed, and never finished the spell.

Yes, I've always liked the idea of her symbolically dying and being reborn. The look of resignation on her face, just before she disappeared, always struck me as her accepting her fate.

I'd love to read Larson's original draft of the script. He's made cryptic comments that the script was altered. Perhaps the alterations made certain things less clear. What's important to focus on is what Celestia told Twilight and I mentioned above. That is the clear reason she ascended and everything else is bad paraphrasing.

As to your statement about symbolism is't wrong, but then Twilight is strong willed and never seems to lose any of her traits. Her friends still see her as twilight, no matter what. Would you be happy if something like that happened to you? The reason why she looked to resign to it, she knows what's coming and isn't really accepting of it to begin with. But she learns to cope with it and move on. 

There's really no clear meaning to it, anyone is free to think what they want to about it. Princess Celestia said that the locked box containing her future needed to be oened, but six keys were required, leaving the symbolism in question.

Edited by Rosemary

As to your statement about symbolism is't wrong, but then Twilight is strong willed and never seems to lose any of her traits. Her friends still see her as twilight, no matter what. Would you be happy if something like that happened to you? The reason why she looked to resign to it, she knows what's coming and isn't really accepting of it to begin with. But she learns to cope with it and move on.

There's really no clear meaning to it, anyone is free to think what they want to about it. Princess Celestia said that the locked box containing her future needed to be oened, but six keys were required, leaving the symbolism in question.

:-) Well I'm willing to agree to disagree. I will quibble with your idea that she knew what was coming. Clearly she had no idea that she was going to become a princess until Celestia explained it all to her. I get the sense that you're not full comfortable with her transformation, but I'm one of those who feel strongly that she was destined to become Princess and where the show is now is the best possible place to be. Anything else is relegated to fanfic and real head canon. I will agree that my idea is a head canon, but mostly because with have no supporting dialogue. I do agree she is the same Twilight, but saying reborn isn't incorrect. Edited by Nature's Spell

Hey guys! :)

Just a friendly reminder to keep things on topic. It's fine to have disagreements & all; that's part of the nature of a fandom. This topic can especially be a dividing line, but be careful as misunderstandings can easily erupt into something worse.

No one's in trouble; FYI. Now, let's get back to discussing ponies. :)

• Brohoof 2

I've said it before.  I'm not entirely sure SSB really wrote the spell.  I AM fairly sure that Celestia set up the whole "scramble the Cutie Marks" thing as T's final exam. (Or, maybe her midterm?).  As to being killed & reborn -maybe. 

The official line (From both Hasbro & Princess C) is SSB couldn't make it work because he did not completely understand friendship (Just like C was unable to use the 6th Element because she did not)