Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Expedition into Uncharted Land

Nameless Knight

Nymphaea frowned at the mention of her poisoning. It would be a lie to say she wasn't feeling the effects, since the night before the pain concentrated if her hoof had spread and her body temperature was unnaturally high. It was especially hard on her when she was active; that morning she had struggled even to catch the rabbits and squirrels she usually hunted with ease.

"It is taxing on my body and mind, but it will pass in a few days time. Do not concern yourself with my wellbeing."

@@HunterTSN,

(sorry Unicorncob can't mention you :(  )

"I do not you dropping dead while you are guiding us. I would rather not get lost because you died of poisoning..." He said, looking at her. He then looked back at Tyra "Silver is poisonous to her kind, that coin caused it." He said before sighing, he was enjoying his time without the Kelpie but nothing gold can last.

@

@@HunterTSN

(Why can't I be special :()

"Coin?" Tyra blinked, and she reached into her tunic to pull out the very coin in question; the one Chronos gave to her before.

"But, I had the coin this whole time," she muttered, and her ears, and the wings of her helmet, lowered as she began fearing the worst, "Did I do something in my sleep? Did that beast possess me?!" She put the coin away and fixed the Kelpie with a desperate look. "I would never try to bring harm to a companion, please believe me!"

(edited)

@,

@@Unicorncob,

((I don't have a problem mentioning him, are you sure you entered the right name?))

"Do not act so daft" Nymphaea hissed impatiently. "I sought the coin out when we were attacked by the aufhocker knowing full well the consequences of doing so. It was all I could do; had I hesitated our valiant knight would no longer be among us" she sneered.

Edited by HunterTSN

@@HunterTSN,

@@Unicorncob,

(fixed it)

He just sighed and said "Lets just get moving, we are wasting sunlight, just like the creature said." He said pointing at the Kelpie before waiting for Tyra and the Kelpie to stop talking and start walking. He was going to grab the ax he had from the tree, but decided to leave it so that if they returned he would know that he had been here before.

@

@@HunterTSN

(:yay:)

"Off...hocker...?" Tyra muttered, blinking and cocking her head as confusion took the place of her fear. She perked up as Chronos ordered the group to keep moving, and so they did.

As they walked, Tyra, between the Kelpie and Chronos, began to think. If she had been awake during the attack, she could have protected her friend, and she would not have been injured in the first place.

However, this gave her a resolve, and she looked ahead with a determined scowl.

She would not let down her companions again.

For now, she trotted up to the Kelpie's side and muttered to her, "I do wish he would not call you 'creature' all the time, it is so demeaning."

@,

@@Unicorncob,

Nymphaea tensed slightly at the question before quickly falling back into her neutral facade. With a deep sigh she gave in and began to speak.

"My species has no name for itself, only the names that others have given onto us. The beings that once inhabited this island called me Vennet Hest or Backahasten, however in the land of my birth I was known as a kelpie. It is one of the few memories I retain of the world outside of this forsaken hell" the kelpie said solemnly, her eyes not once leaving the ground in front of her.

@@Unicorncob,

@@HunterTSN,

Chronos kept walking and looked at Tyra and the Kelpie. He didn't care what they were talking about at the moment so he just looked forward. He looked down at the soil as he walked over it. He realized that the Husk blood that were on his hooves had been cleaned off. He looked up and sighed, he missed Equestria.

@

@@HunterTSN

Tyra nodded, listening to the Kelpie's story. She had no idea what the first two names meant, but the third put a grin on her face.

"Kelpie?" She repeated, and smiled up at the other mare, "That sounds like a much better name!"

Hoping this would be a good sign to show her good will, as well as to give her something to call her companion, she continued, "Perhaps I may call you that? It sounds much nicer!"

@@Unicorncob,

"You may, I do not mind what you call me" Nymphaea said, continuing to keep her eyes trained forward. "When you have lived so many years of isolation as I, names begin to lose their meaning. They are nothing more than weapons of betrayal to be used against you when the few you choose to trust inevitably turn against you.

@@HunterTSN

Tyra's wide grin turned into a sad frown; obviously this mare had gone through more than her fair share of hardships in her life.

But she was determined to make friends with the Kelpie, her 'never give up' attitude feeling stronger after her resolve.

"Not all ponies are untrustworthy," she managed another grin, which widened as an idea came to her.

"Perhaps, when we leave the island, you and I may travel together for a while?" Her grin turned into a smirk as she put a hoof over her heart. "With your survival skills and my strength, we would make a formidable duo!"

@@Unicorncob,

@,

The kelpie flinched at the traveling sellsword's offer, clearly distressed.

"I am not keen on adventure" she said, although her normally harsh tone sounded more flighty than usual, as though it were a bad excuse. Suddenly Nymphaea's slow gait became an uncomfortable trot as she pulled ahead of Tyra and the awkward conversation. "We are wasting time discussing this, we still have far to go."

(Sorry I forgot to post here.... My bad)

@@Firehearted,

The sun peaked through the branches of the random bush Atlas and I took shelter under after that terrifying raven attack. My head throbbed and my body ache, I must have over done it with the magic I think... I really couldn't remember last night was a blur to me.

I rubbed my head a little and moved out of the bush when I noticed Atlas wasn't there. There was just this eerie, and the soft sounds of sobbing in the distance.

"Atlas?" I called out as I cautiously approached the cries. For all I knew it could been another crazy monster trying to murder us.

Though sure enough there he was sitting on the forest floor, sobbing in probably one of the most pathetic states I'd ever seen a pony. If this were the streets of Manehatten I would have just left him be, but seeing how he's my only ticket off this rock I needed him.

I called out his name a few times only for him ignore it, he seemed so upset he didn't realize I was there. He was completely broken, he looks as though he'd been crying there all night. I couldn't tell if I was going soft or if I truly gave a damn about this random Pegasus I had just met but I mustered as much magic as I could.

With a simple spell, I filled the air with a soothing tranquil atmosphere. The magical energy mellowed me out and undoubtfully Atlas as the spells calming properties began to, well, work their magic. (Yea I know that was a terrible joke... Sue me.)

"What's wrong, Atlas?" I asked in a mellow, relaxed tone, while awkardly patting his back.

@

@@HunterTSN

Tyra blinked as the Kelpie's tone suddenly changed, and hesitated in her walk as she pulled ahead, ear lowering in confusion. Had she offended her somehow?

She glanced back at Chronos, and waited for him to catch up to her before walking again.

"She told me her people are known as 'kelpies'," she explained with a grin, "perhaps we should call her that from now on? It is a lot less demeaning than just 'creature'."

(edited)

@@HunterTSN,

@@Unicorncob,

"Anything is better than nothing I guess" He said before looking at Tyra. He then looked at the Kelpie. Chronos began to start thinking about the night before. He sighed before looking at Tyra "I somewhat fear that since the kelpie is rushing through this journey, we may run into more trouble then if we just went at a normal pace." He said, not even trying to whisper. To Chronos, a normal pace was the pace of a marching army. 

Edited by Delta-62 Scorch

(edited)

@,

@@Unicorncob,

Nymphaea slowed to a normal pace once out of earshot of the talkative mare, silently cursing herself for showing weakness. Small fragments of bad memories skirted around the edges of her mind, stirred up by the uncomfortable conversation. She felt a slight twinge of regret for being so harsh to Tyra, but it passed quickly.

Edited by HunterTSN

@

@@HunterTSN

"I fear I may have offended her somehow," Tyra admitted, looking away from Chronos and glancing toward the Kelpie, "I offered that she and I could travel together for a while once we were off this island, but she did not seem to appreciate it."

She looked back up at the stallion. "She seems to have had more than her fair share of bad experiences with ponies. I simply wish to prove that she can trust us."

@@Unicorncob,

"I doubt it, like I said, I tried to heal her last night and she scolded me. I'm sure if we ever save her life... she would murder us." He said, his head held low. He sighed and looked at Tyra "I am not sure if that Kelpie will ever trust pony kind. That is why I already know where I will take her once we get back to Equestria."

@

"I am sure she would not murder us for helping her," Tyra muttered, cocking an eyebrow, "If we both give her a chance to earn our trust, and we hers, we will certainly become a more effective trio!"

She blinked, and glanced up at him at the last thing he'd told her. "Where will you take her?"

@@Unicorncob

He sighed "Alright, I will give her another chance." He said before noticing her question "The Everfree, it is quiet diverse so their should be plenty of food for her. Also it is away from ponies, most of the time, so I'm sure she will be fine with it. Also, predators will not be a problem..."

@

Tyra nodded, her grin returning. "Good, I am sure she'll appreciate it!"

She listened to his answer, and breathed a sigh of relief; from his attitude toward the Kelpie and his choice of words, it sounded like he would have her executed or something.

"I think I have been there before," she muttered, tilting her head in thought, "It is an awful lot like here...except not nearly as populated with monsters."

There are few things that can make he cry like some kid: my mom, my closest friends, and this.

Hate me. Hate me. Hate me.

I was not about to tell Cosmo about this. I haven't even told Hunter, the person I trusted most and the person who trusted me the most.

"Cosmo... I've done some things"

Hate me. Hate me. Hate me.

"Things no one should do"

A monster.

"The noose is too good fore me, got it. The only reason in keep myself kickin' is because I've got too many people that depend on me" That was half true. I was afraid to die but I'd never show it. Then again who isn't? Then again I don't know what's in store for me after the crimes I've committed.

I sobbed a bit more as I tried to get this off. I locked the thoughts away in the closet in the back of my mind. I put a big chest in front of the door and let it be. I knew it was banging in the door though. It would only be a matter of time before it burst free.

"Come on, Cosmo. We can't burn daylight like this"

I needed some place to clean off and get the tears out if my eyes and coat.

I grabbed my rifle and packed up.

"Whenever you're ready" I finished emotionless.

@@Firehearted,

I nodded and gathered up the rest of the stuff that was still lying around. An awkward silence hung in the air and while I tried my best to say something, anything, I just couldn't bring myself to. My original judgements about Atlas on the boat were right though, there was something incredibly wrong with him. Judging by what he's told me about his past it had to be serious, probably some sort of trauma he faced during the wars he fought. Until he opened up to me I wouldn't be able help him anyway, forcing him to talk about it would only make it worse.

Help him... Ha! I am definitely getting soft. I wonder what the family would think if I told them about me wanting to actually help another pony out. Still I couldn't help but worry about the guy, he is obviously distressed. Though there isn't much I could do, I'm not a trained professional.

I sighed a little in frustration, and finished gathering up my stuff. Once I got everything back together again I looked back towards Atlas.

"So where to next?"

I'll never say a word of what happened and what I'd done... Or so I told myself.

"The nearest body of water then deeper inland" I told him, my voice still emotionless.

"We need to wash up and maybe, if it's good enough, keep our water supply high. Not staying clean is a surprisingly terrible thing to do out in the wilderness. You won't be able to walk from the burn" I threw my heavy pack on.

"We eat on the trail" I took out my morning rations at tucked them under my wing and tucked my machete in the other. Teaching myself to use my wings as extra grabbing appendages was one of the best choices I'd made. I could put food in my mouth with one wing and chop with the other.

It required strong wings though, which is something I have.

"Come on. We don't got time to stand around"

@@Firehearted,

I nodded and followed after Atlas. Luckily I didn't really leave much after last nights attack so it was relatively easy for me to gather up my stuff and head on out. I unpacked a few of my rations, some bread left over from the provisions I swiped aboard the ship, taking only small drinks from my canteen to preserve water.

I ate and marched behind Atlas in an awkward silence. I hardly had any energy really, but I forced my aching body to follow behind him. Last night was rough on us both, I feel as though it was my fault we got attacked. After all, it was my bright idea to take up camp in the middle of that clearing. If I didn't wake up when I did we'd both have been bird food.

The combination of guilt and this splitting headache prevented me from thinking clearly. So I just trudged alongside Atlas, hoping that worst was already behind us.