Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need a little help with pony names/ designs

ManaMinori

(edited)

I'm trying to put together a few pony parody characters that are (hopefully) loosely based off of existing MLP ponies from G4, G3, and G1; namely, Sunset Shimmer, Rarity, Star Catcher, Toola Roola, and Pinkie Pie/ Surprise. I'd like opinions on whether the parody ponies are too closely resembling their Hasbro-owned counterparts, of if they're just different enough to get a pass.

3outof5_zpsowq12af4.png

4thru5_zpsqabrxbrj.png

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

Personally, I like their designs, and while they made me ask myself if they were purposely made to resemble established characters, they look perfectly distinct. I think you're doing great walking that line.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I like their designs, and while they made me ask myself if they were purposely made to resemble established characters, they look perfectly distinct. I think you're doing great walking that line.  ;)

thank you. I really appreciate it. And yes, they were purposely designed to resemble the originals as closely as possible, without crossing over into copyright territory. (I hope)

would you mind offering a suggestion on a parody name for Toola Roola? I'm kind of having a bit of trouble with that one.

@@Nightmare Muffin, that actually sound like a hard one. :wacko: Like, really hard.

I'll just spit ball a few, see if it at least jogs some ideas.

Rooty Tooty

Prism

Fruity Cutie

Coola Foola

Fine Line

Yeah, she's hard to come up with something for, jeez.  :please:

@@Nightmare Muffin, that actually sound like a hard one. :wacko: Like, really hard.

I'll just spit ball a few, see if it at least jogs some ideas.

Rooty Tooty

Prism

Fruity Cutie

Coola Foola

Fine Line

Yeah, she's hard to come up with something for, jeez.  :please:

I know. Sorry. I've just been having the toughest time trying to think up one, myself, so I figured I'd poke around for a bit of inspiration, while I'm asking for thoughts on the characters. (if i had an idea of what her name even meant, then I could likely put together a parody of it, myself, but I don't even know what the hay Toola Roola is supposed to mean) XD

I kinda like the sound of Rooty Tooty, and it still keeps the initials of the original name. Mind if I use it?

(edited)

@@Nightmare Muffin, yeah, I tried looking for something it came from, but I couldn't find anything either. But yeah, go ahead. ;)  

Edited by SFyr

@@Nightmare Muffin, yeah, I tried looking for something it came from, but I couldn't find anything either. But yeah, go ahead. ;)  

I'd love if someone could successfully decipher the meaning of it, where we failed to. I mean, if there is one. (and I'm sure there has to be, because the other past gen ponies had names with words that made sense)

Thanks, though. And thanks again for the name drops.

I could use a few more perspectives/ opinions on whether on not the designs of the ponies are appropriate for parody, or too closely toeing the line of copyright image

• 2 weeks later...

Copyright issues are often unjustified. And walking that line too fine is a danger.

So on that note, I think Vanity is a tad too close to Rarity's design, considering the colour-scheme, fashion-focus, and manestyle, so you might want to maybe consider changing a colour or somesuch, just to be safe.

I also think Smilebright's cutie-mark might be a little too close to Pinkie's, but I might just be being a little too safeguarding.

Maybe I'm just being a stickler, but I don't want anything bad to happen, 'cos those five are awesome! 

Well, Star Prancer looks a little derivative of Sweetie Belle and Cadence (G4), Vanity is close to Rarity and Silver Spoon (G4), and SmileBright is similar to Pinkie Pie (G4) and Surprise (G1).