technology iPhone SE

A lot of people are already criticizing it and saying that Apple only dropped it because Samsung dropped a phone, but that has never forced a phone drop from Apple in the past. Honestly, I think this may be the most clever move Apple has done in a while. This phone will fit all the cases and accessories for the 5S so anyone who hasn't upgraded because they either don't like the 6's design or the 6's size/price will be able to use all their old cases.

The truth is that a lot of people held onto the 5S because they didn't like the 6/6S. This phone makes a great reason to upgrade for them because it has all the hardware of a 6S inside it. If you can deal with a smaller screen there is another thing with this phone Apple is giving another shot and this time they succeeded: an economy phone! Everyone remembers the 5C, but its biggest flaw was that it was really only $50 cheaper as an economy phone. There are tons of pre-paid customers who would love to have an iPhone but can't afford the $700 price tag.

Well this iPhone stands at $399 and $499 for the different models. That's literally a $400 iPhone. It's over $300 cheaper than the 6S. It is even cheaper than getting the LG G4. So in terms of a premium smartphone, it's the best choice for its price. If you  are a premium phone shopper and want a powerful phone for a decent price it right now is the best way to go in terms of flagship phones. If you've always wanted iOS but couldn't afford the price this phone is the perfect way to go.

Honestly I was skeptical about this phone at first, but after I saw the price tag, I knew exactly what they were doing. While I'll be holding onto my 6S until the 7 comes out, I can definitely see this being a great option for people.

I think apple is canibalisisng its own company. they are offering an iPhone 6s in a smaller body at a cheaper price. also, in my eyes, a solution for not getting the SE is the oneplus one, two or X

Edited by Rainbow Dash Boy

Name ideas for next-generation iPhones:

• iPhone LX
  • iPhone EX
  • iPhone Sport
  • iPhone GT
  • iPhone SL
  • iPhone GOTY
  • iPhone Turbo
  • iPhone SS
  • iPhone P85D
  • iPhone Evo
  • iPhone WRX STi
  • iPhone GT-R
  • iPhone Type R

I'm sure there are more out there...

Edited by Azure Flare
  • Brohoof 3

This is why I am not overly fond of most smartphones. You get one, it will be out of date entirely within a year. You can pay hundreds of dollars for something that will be completely inferior in a very short amount of time, Apple here shows that. However, I find it funny how apple for years provides phones with extreme limitations and setbacks and NOW all of a sudden is trying to make a phone that actually can use accessories from an older model. Duuuuuude. That....isn't very special. Many other companies have been doing the same exact thing for years. Whats next? Actual expandable memory too? 

This is why I am not overly fond of most smartphones. You get one, it will be out of date entirely within a year. You can pay hundreds of dollars for something that will be completely inferior in a very short amount of time, Apple here shows that. However, I find it funny how apple for years provides phones with extreme limitations and setbacks and NOW all of a sudden is trying to make a phone that actually can use accessories from an older model. Duuuuuude. That....isn't very special. Many other companies have been doing the same exact thing for years. Whats next? Actual expandable memory too? 

That's the advancement of technology for ya. Moore's law is slowing down, but it isn't stopping anytime soon.

I think apple is canibalisisng its own company. they are offering an iPhone 6s in a smaller body at a cheaper price. also, in my eyes, a solution for not getting the SE is the oneplus one, two or X

Not if you're someone who doesn't like Android. This phone isn't cannibalizing the market because at the end of the day people who want a bigger screen will not get this phone. I know I prefer a medium sized screen. This basically is an iOS device that is affordable to those who want iOS but don't want to pay the insane prices.

This is why I am not overly fond of most smartphones. You get one, it will be out of date entirely within a year.

Same thing with computers and virtually all technology. The PS4 and Xbox One were "dated" on day one because PC hardware was far ahead of them. It's just part of how technology itself works. That being said, this actually is not outdating the 6S because the 6S and the SE have the same hardware, so it's on the exact same level.

You can pay hundreds of dollars for something that will be completely inferior in a very short amount of time, Apple here shows that. However, I find it funny how apple for years provides phones with extreme limitations and setbacks and NOW all of a sudden is trying to make a phone that actually can use accessories from an older model. Duuuuuude. That....isn't very special. Many other companies have been doing the same exact thing for years. Whats next? Actual expandable memory too? 

Except Apple has made it so the old phone can use new accessories for every other phone for years and many of the major phone manufacturers have not. iPhone 4S fit cases from the 4, the 3GS fit cases from the 3, the 5S fit cases from the 5, the 6S fits cases from the 6 and so on and so forth. Samsung can't even make cases from the S6 fit the S7. You can say what you want about Apple, but the other manufacturers engage in far worse practices. Samsung took expandable memory away in the S6 and then brought it back in the S7 and advertised it like it was some kind of huge new feature. At least Apple doesn't take crap away and give it back like it's a huge revelation.

Not to mention Apple's phones these days when they come out destroy competitors in terms of benchmarks so they are future proof a lot longer. So when you buy an iPhone they remain current a lot longer. Apple releases updates for a lot longer than a majority of their competitors. In fact the iPhone 4S which came out in 2011 is running on the current version of iOS (9.3) and still works with a majority of apps. It is also fully supported. Apple will fix phones for up to 4 years after they come out, which is longer than their competitors by a long shot.

The Galaxy S3 was more or less abandoned after a year when the S4 came out, and the S4 was only supported for like 2 years. Even Google's Nexus devices generally die after 2 years. Many of the other companies have been heavily criticized for using inferior build quality that creates low quality phones. Google used degrading NAND memory in the Nexus devices that more or less for a lot of people died after 2 years right after their warranty and insurance ran out so when they asked for help, Google just shrugged and told them to get a new phone. Samsung's phones STILL suffer from burn in problems that they have since the S4, and they have done nothing about it.

With those amazing Octi-core processors and identical price tag (literally the Galaxy S7 costs the SAME PRICE as an iPhone) you'd think you'd get at least similar performance and longevity of an iPhone, but you don't.

I work with phones, I am required to be up to date on these phone and at the end of the day: the iPhone is the best investment if you are looking for longevity because Apple will make sure your phone is usable for close to 5 years. They now also have a trade in program right through them where they will help you upgrade to the newer iPhones for cheap.

For $400, the SE has the same hardware as a 6S, so $400 for a phone that will last 5 years? That's a far better investment than $650 for a Galaxy S6 which will probably last 2.

Also the OnePlus Two was a neat idea in concept, but it's a fairly obscure phone, it runs on a custom version of android which means you are relying ENTIRELY on a small team to make updates and fixes for that phone. And for the price, the iPhone SE still destroys it in terms of benchmarks for more or less the same price. It's a no brainer.

Apple's ecosystem is just more sustainable than Android because everyone isn't trying to get in on it.

Apple tends to support its phones much longer than most manufacturers. The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are still getting updates.

Yes. This is 100% correct. Hating on Apple seems to just be the "hip" or "cool" thing to do, but few people actually do their research and consider these things. Apple loves brand loyalty. They do their best to make sure customers choose them every time and the best way to do that is make sure they are taken care of.

Apple products are expensive, and they are not even hiding that. Their logic though is you buy one every few years and that lasts you a while.

When you have a product that works so well and you can stand by it, you can justify the price. I will GLADLY pay $50 more than Samsung for quality that I know will last.

Hey folks, i got  question for ya. I'm trying to find the best Iphone around so I can get one for my sister who is returning from her mission from Costa Rica as gift to her. Which Iphone that's currently selling right now is the best one. Note, I don't care about price as that's what payment plans are for.

Hey folks, i got  question for ya. I'm trying to find the best Iphone around so I can get one for my sister who is returning from her mission from Costa Rica as gift to her. Which Iphone that's currently selling right now is the best one. Note, I don't care about price as that's what payment plans are for.

All three of the current iPhones (shy of the original 6) have the EXACT same specs in them. The only difference the 6S and the 6S Plus have that the SE does not is bigger screens and 3D touch, which is a feature many people don't really care about. I would say it depends on how big her hands are. If she has tiny hands, the SE is a good choice, if she cares about having a BIG screen, go with the Plus. Otherwise if she is in the middle the 6S is perfect for her.

All three of the current iPhones (shy of the original 6) have the EXACT same specs in them. The only difference the 6S and the 6S Plus have that the SE does not is bigger screens and 3D touch, which is a feature many people don't really care about. I would say it depends on how big her hands are. If she has tiny hands, the SE is a good choice, if she cares about having a BIG screen, go with the Plus. Otherwise if she is in the middle the 6S is perfect for her.

Thinking of the 6s plus. Her hands are smaller than mine and she has used Ipods before hand so I don't think she'll mind size. I'll need to look those up.

Thinking of the 6s plus. Her hands are smaller than mine and she has used Ipods before hand so I don't think she'll mind size. I'll need to look those up.

Me and my wife both switched to the 6S, happiest we've both ever been with a phone. The design is wonderful, it fits in the hand nicely, I mean I have zero complaints about this phone.

Me and my wife both switched to the 6S, happiest we've both ever been with a phone. The design is wonderful, it fits in the hand nicely, I mean I have zero complaints about this phone.

Alright, got one final question for ya before I switch over to the 6s. The 6s plus while bigger also has a better resolution of 1080p compared to the 768 resolution of the 6S. Is there any actual notable difference you believe for an Iphone user?

Alright, got one final question for ya before I switch over to the 6s. The 6s plus while bigger also has a better resolution of 1080p compared to the 768 resolution of the 6S. Is there any actual notable difference you believe for an Iphone user?

I would say no because the size of the screens. If you put a lower res on a smaller screen it's less noticeable. Honestly the 768 that the iPhone 6S has is perfect for the size of the phone. I don't know what Samsung was thinking cramming 1440p into the S6 because first of all it becomes impossible to find wallpapers for it, and second of all, it drains the battery. I have put the two phones side by side running video all day at my store and the S6 will die hours before the iPhone 6S. The battery life is superior due to a smarter choice in screen.

When we're talking about phones, a lot of people will throw numbers out there. "Oh 1080p versus 768!" "Octi-core vs. dual core" etc. But at the end of the day a lot of these numbers are meaningless because when we punch in the other variables they show their true colors. In an example of the S6 versus the iPhone 6S:

• The S6 boasts a 1440p display over the iPhone's 768p. What they don't tell you is that you will basically need the S6 on power saving mode all day if you want to match the battery life, and even then you won't be able to. They also fail to tell you that finding wallpapers for the phone will be hard and the image quality isn't as high. Nor do they tell you about the burn in problem of the device.
  • The S6 boasts an Octi-core 2.1GHz processor while the iPhone only has a dual core 1.84GHz. However on almost every benchmark as you saw, the iPhone performs better. And drains less battery.
  • The S6 boasts 3GB of RAM over the iPhone's 2GB. However iPhone apps tend to use less RAM and the OS uses less idoling. The S6 idols at about 2.3GB of RAM. They neglect to tell you that part.
  • The S6 advertises it's only $650, but they neglect to inform you that's only $50 less than an iPhone.
  • Samsung also has released VERY few updates for the S6, and no doubt plan on stopping all together now that the S7 is out. The S6 stayed on Android 5.1 almost a year after 6.0 was out, and no plans to bring 6.0 to the S6 have been stated. So in other words if they find some issues with 5.1, tough cookies, deal with it. Samsung has already moved on to the S7.

These numbers may all sound like they equal better, but the only numbers that truly matter are performance numbers. Performance is what the consumer actually feels, so specs mean jack and shit if the performance doesn't match them.

Edited by Guest

I would say no because the size of the screens. If you put a lower res on a smaller screen it's less noticeable. Honestly the 768 that the iPhone 6S has is perfect for the size of the phone. I don't know what Samsung was thinking cramming 1440p into the S6 because first of all it becomes impossible to find wallpapers for it, and second of all, it drains the battery. I have put the two phones side by side running video all day at my store and the S6 will die hours before the iPhone 6S. The battery life is superior due to a smarter choice in screen.

When we're talking about phones, a lot of people will throw numbers out there. "Oh 1080p versus 768!" "Octi-core vs. dual core" etc. But at the end of the day a lot of these numbers are meaningless because when we punch in the other variables they show their true colors. In an example of the S6 versus the iPhone 6S:

• The S6 boasts a 1440p display over the iPhone's 768p. What they don't tell you is that you will basically need the S6 on power saving mode all day if you want to match the battery life, and even then you won't be able to. They also fail to tell you that finding wallpapers for the phone will be hard and the image quality isn't as high. Nor do they tell you about the burn in problem of the device.
  • The S6 boasts an Octi-core 2.1GHz processor while the iPhone only has a dual core 1.84GHz. However on almost every benchmark as you saw, the iPhone performs better. And drains less battery.
  • The S6 boasts 3GB of RAM over the iPhone's 2GB. However iPhone apps tend to use less RAM and the OS uses less idoling. The S6 idols at about 2.3GB of RAM. They neglect to tell you that part.
  • The S6 advertises it's only $650, but they neglect to inform you that's only $50 less than an iPhone.
  • Samsung also has released VERY few updates for the S6, and no doubt plan on stopping all together now that the S7 is out. The S6 stayed on Android 5.1 almost a year after 6.0 was out, and no plans to bring 6.0 to the S6 have been stated. So in other words if they find some issues with 5.1, tough cookies, deal with it. Samsung has already moved on to the S7.

These numbers may all sound like they equal better, but the only numbers that truly matter are performance numbers. Performance is what the consumer actually feels, so specs mean jack and shit if the performance doesn't match them.

Alright than. I'll go for Iphone 6S instead. Thank you very much for taking the time to inform me on this Key Sharkz.

• 1 month later...

Would I be right in thinking a iphone is just a iphone 6s in a iphone 5 case?

But honestly I think apple are appealing to a market that dosent exist. If you want a cheap phone you would get a budget android phone right? If you wanted a cheap iphone youd get a second hand one right? Perhaps there is a market for it I just cant see it

Would I be right in thinking a iphone is just a iphone 6s in a iphone 5 case?

But honestly I think apple are appealing to a market that dosent exist. If you want a cheap phone you would get a budget android phone right? If you wanted a cheap iphone youd get a second hand one right? Perhaps there is a market for it I just cant see it

Just because people want a cheap iPhone doesn't mean they want a used phone. This is just filling the market that budget android phones have but now you have the option of iOS instead. It's pretty crap that when you are on a budget your options are only Android, or Windows phone, or other phone OSes that never caught on. Some people really want the Apple ecosystem and should not be denied that because of budget.

Just because people want a cheap iPhone doesn't mean they want a used phone. This is just filling the market that budget android phones have but now you have the option of iOS instead. It's pretty crap that when you are on a budget your options are only Android, or Windows phone, or other phone OSes that never caught on. Some people really want the Apple ecosystem and should not be denied that because of budget.

Is the iphone SE really cheap enough for a budget, I’m not insulting apple, apple users or users on a budget I’m just really curious about the iphone SE. But I guess you make a good point with what your saying

Is the iphone SE really cheap enough for a budget, I’m not insulting apple, apple users or users on a budget I’m just really curious about the iphone SE. But I guess you make a good point with what your saying

Well considering if you get the phone on installment billing with a post paid carrier the phone is like... $16 a month for 2 years. To give you some numbers:

With Sprint that's basically just $70 a month for unlimited EVERYTHING. That's not that bad a price here in the US for an iPhone. I mean it's still more expensive than say... A $50 android with pre-paid, but honestly the performance difference is quite a huge jump for that price. Like I work in phones, and I have a lot of these phones in the store and I can safely say that even if you got like a $200 Android (which is close to the same price point as the SE) the level of performance difference on the SE is night and day.

For $400 this phone can match up to the $800 Galaxy S7, and the $800 LG G5. It's for people who WANT the premium experience without the premium price. Budget phone buyers are always going to go for cheap phones, but this is for people who don't WANT to be budget phone buyers but can't afford the premium phones.

Honestly I get customers all the time that insist that going pre-paid and getting the no contract phones is the "best" route due to price, but honestly... For only a LITTLE more on say... Sprint, you walk away with better service, better phones and you're paying not THAT much extra depending on what you get. Also... I get a lot of people that get like a $50 prepaid phone that end up having to get multiple ones because... Well... Prepaid phones don't last that long. They are usually low on the hardware front and the build quality is usually poor as hell.

I have one customer who has bought literally 8 of these $20 ZTEs because they keep breaking. It's meant to be a throw away phone and she has spent $160 on just replacing the phone over and over because she refuses to get a post paid phone.

Pre-paid works for some people, but really it doesn't ALWAYS save you money, and it DEFINITELY doesn't always give you the same experience.

Well considering if you get the phone on installment billing with a post paid carrier the phone is like... $16 a month for 2 years. To give you some numbers:

With Sprint that's basically just $70 a month for unlimited EVERYTHING. That's not that bad a price here in the US for an iPhone. I mean it's still more expensive than say... A $50 android with pre-paid, but honestly the performance difference is quite a huge jump for that price. Like I work in phones, and I have a lot of these phones in the store and I can safely say that even if you got like a $200 Android (which is close to the same price point as the SE) the level of performance difference on the SE is night and day.

For $400 this phone can match up to the $800 Galaxy S7, and the $800 LG G5. It's for people who WANT the premium experience without the premium price. Budget phone buyers are always going to go for cheap phones, but this is for people who don't WANT to be budget phone buyers but can't afford the premium phones.

Honestly I get customers all the time that insist that going pre-paid and getting the no contract phones is the "best" route due to price, but honestly... For only a LITTLE more on say... Sprint, you walk away with better service, better phones and you're paying not THAT much extra depending on what you get. Also... I get a lot of people that get like a $50 prepaid phone that end up having to get multiple ones because... Well... Prepaid phones don't last that long. They are usually low on the hardware front and the build quality is usually poor as hell.

I have one customer who has bought literally 8 of these $20 ZTEs because they keep breaking. It's meant to be a throw away phone and she has spent $160 on just replacing the phone over and over because she refuses to get a post paid phone.

Pre-paid works for some people, but really it doesn't ALWAYS save you money, and it DEFINITELY doesn't always give you the same experience.

Makes sense, I mean I guess its all down to personal choice