Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is Microsoft trying to make Xbox more software-based?

TheMisterManGuy

Recently, Microsoft has been trying to make the Xbox brand more agnostic and floating. First, it started with the Xbox app of Windows 8/10, then it continued with them releasing their games on PC, specifically, their own Windows Store. Now, they've basically merged the Windows 10 and XB1 Xbox ecosystem's together, making it so that all games can be played on both PC and console, with the Xbox One even getting UWP apps.

Is Microsoft trying to turn the Xbox brand into more of a gaming client ala Steam? Granted, Microsoft has said they'd develop Steam versions of some of their games before, and I think I remember them saying something about opening up UWP format software to other distributors. But it feels like Microsoft wants Xbox to be their own "Steam" so to speak.

Microsoft is definitely trying to bridge the gap between their console market and their PC market(a good thing imo). I think things like this are just fallout from the ultimatr goal of wanting to become the biggest home theatre system provider. A smart move to keep up with the ever evolving technology world. 

I think Microsoft is trying to make Xbox into an encompassing brand of entertainment, not just console games anymore. I find this to be a positive move though, it keeps their vision with a wide scope and creates tons of possibilities. Plus it can help stop the bickering between console and PC gamers.