Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 2 upcoming Sonic games

Still Sonic related, but Sonic 06 is being remade in unity on PC.

On 7/10/2017 at 4:06 AM, Niko said:

I'm not hyped much about the OC stuff, it's more about getting another GOOD 3D game after Generations. 

Mania is going to be good. 100%.

It's the 3D game I'm worried about, since SEGA hasn't been too good with them lately.

Have faith, the new game is using the boost gameplay from Generations.

5 minutes ago, Celli said:

Still Sonic related, but Sonic 06 is being remade in unity on PC.

Have faith, the new game is using the boost gameplay from Generations.

I did hear about 06 getting remade by a fan I think? Sounded quite interesting. 

I do have faith:D About 80% sure it's gonna be pretty damn good.

17 minutes ago, Niko said:

I did hear about 06 getting remade by a fan I think? Sounded quite interesting. 

I do have faith:D About 80% sure it's gonna be pretty damn good.

Yep, it's removing the load times, bugs, and improving performance.

And I'm ignoring Boom, as Sonic Team didn't make that, and Lost World moved away from the boost formula.

41 minutes ago, Celli said:

Yep, it's removing the load times, bugs, and improving performance.

And I'm ignoring Boom, as Sonic Team didn't make that, and Lost World moved away from the boost formula.

I did see the video, it looked fine, just needs more work.

I had no problems with Lost World, though!:D I rushed through the game in like a single day. Was pretty different, but fun nonetheless.

Just now, Niko said:

I did see the video, it looked fine, just needs more work.

I had no problems with Lost World, though!:D I rushed through the game in like a single day. Was pretty different, but fun nonetheless.

There's a kingdom valley demo if you want to try it out.

Just now, Celli said:

There's a kingdom valley demo if you want to try it out.

Oh, I didn't know I could play it. Will do. Thanks for the info!:D

I would be totally okay with a Sonic 06 remake as long as they aren't going to take liberty with it and remove parts of the game because they didn't think they were good.

Mach speed sections, alternate character parts of levels, etc. I want the game as intact as possible. Part of why I loved it was the variety in gameplay.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, Discordian said:

I would be totally okay with a Sonic 06 remake as long as they aren't going to take liberty with it and remove parts of the game because they didn't think they were good.

Mach speed sections, alternate character parts of levels, etc. I want the game as intact as possible. Part of why I loved it was the variety in gameplay.

It's keeping the story, characters, and gameplay all intact, just removing the bugs, horrible framerate, and load times.

Though honestly, even bugs, load times, and any other technical issues aside, oh, and story, the game is still objectively flawed, and there are problems with a lot of the core gameplay mechanics.

Also, you actually liked Sonic 06? Like, legitimately?

Edited by Celli

2 minutes ago, Celli said:

It's keeping the story, characters, and gameplay all intact, just removing the bugs, horrible framerate, and load times.

Though honestly, even bugs, load times, and any other technical issues aside, oh, and story, the game is still objectively flawed, and there are problems with a lot of the core gameplay mechanics.

Also, you actually liked Sonic 06? Like, legitimately?

I did. The only reason it isn't one of, if not the top game in the series was because of said bugs and loading times. Hell, just getting the loading times out would improve the experience from not having to wait every time you die.

11 minutes ago, Discordian said:

I did. The only reason it isn't one of, if not the top game in the series was because of said bugs and loading times. Hell, just getting the loading times out would improve the experience from not having to wait every time you die.

I personally felt the game was waaaay too padded out, the controls felt stiff, particularly on the mach speed sections, you had to make all your jumps at the right moment, and dying always felt cheap, and not like I fucked up. Sonic's base speed in the regular sections was too slow, and there is horrible collision detection in places. Silver is the worst, he's slow, and he has to use items in the stage to kill enemies.

Honestly I feel 60% of the game could have been avoided, there was no need for 13 playable characters. The game drags on forever. And then the final level, instant kill eyes appear right in front of you and you don't expect it. That isn't challenging, that's bad level design.

Oh, and each character played differently, so that's 13 different playstyles. It should have been just 3, and all play like Sonic 3&K. All are fast and play similarly, but each had one gameplay gimmick, like flying for tails, and gliding for Knuckles.

5 minutes ago, Celli said:

I personally felt the game was waaaay too padded out, the controls felt stiff, particularly on the mach speed sections, you had to make all your jumps at the right moment, and dying always felt cheap, and not like I fucked up. Sonic's base speed in the regular sections was too slow, and there is horrible collision detection in places. Silver is the worst, he's slow, and he has to use items in the stage to kill enemies.

Honestly I feel 60% of the game could have been avoided, there was no need for 13 playable characters. The game drags on forever. And then the final level, instant kill eyes appear right in front of you and you don't expect it. That isn't challenging, that's bad level design.

Oh, and each character played differently, so that's 13 different playstyles. It should have been just 3, and all play like Sonic 3&K. All are fast and play similarly, but each had one gameplay gimmick, like flying for tails, and gliding for Knuckles.

Many of that is in part due to the glitchiness. The stiff controls and unnecessarily strict jumps are all things that are a result of the game being released unfinished and underdeveloped. Same with the gravity-pulling eyes.  Between the platforming and the pull on the eyes being far too strong (not to mention the hitboxes in the game being wonky as all get out) it made the  last part of the game incredibly frustrating.

I personally liked having all of the different playstyles. It's part of why I liked it so much. It added quite the variety and changed the way levels had to be designed.

For all intents and purposes though Sonic 06 was everything a Sonic Adventure 3 would have been. It's a wonder they changed the name.

10 hours ago, Discordian said:

Many of that is in part due to the glitchiness. The stiff controls and unnecessarily strict jumps are all things that are a result of the game being released unfinished and underdeveloped. Same with the gravity-pulling eyes.  Between the platforming and the pull on the eyes being far too strong (not to mention the hitboxes in the game being wonky as all get out) it made the  last part of the game incredibly frustrating.

I personally liked having all of the different playstyles. It's part of why I liked it so much. It added quite the variety and changed the way levels had to be designed.

For all intents and purposes though Sonic 06 was everything a Sonic Adventure 3 would have been. It's a wonder they changed the name.

God forbid they did name 06 SA3, though LOL. That game did NOT deserve to be anything close to the first 2. If they didn't rush 06, sure, might have been a bit better and a good candidate for SA3, but the way it came out... No.

3 hours ago, Niko said:

God forbid they did name 06 SA3, though LOL. That game did NOT deserve to be anything close to the first 2. If they didn't rush 06, sure, might have been a bit better and a good candidate for SA3, but the way it came out... No.

It didn't deserve the name of the first game either.

4 minutes ago, Celli said:

It didn't deserve the name of the first game either.

It's a shame really. Could have been a lot better, the game had a decent amount of potential.

Just now, Niko said:

It's a shame really. Could have been a lot better, the game had a decent amount of potential.

Yeah. And the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" was also extremely lazy. Seriously, it should have been called Sonic Adventure 3, since that's basically what it is. 

1 minute ago, Celli said:

Yeah. And the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" was also extremely lazy. Seriously, it should have been called Sonic Adventure 3, since that's basically what it is. 

Well yeah, I actually remember myself not being able to look at the game since I couldn't find it cause of it's name, lol.

I'm rubbish at pretty much all 2D Sonic games, but I've still pre-ordered Sonic Mania. I played it at Summer Of Sonic last year and it was fantastic. Hopefully it's final release will be just as good. As for Forces, I'm looking forward to it but I have reservations. I love the OC character creation and unique story for it, and the tone looks to be quite dark, something I've wanted since Adventure 2. I still don't like only having Sonic as the sole major playable character... I grew up with multiple stories and characters being developed in Adventure through '06, and wish for its return, which outside of the OC journey isn't happening sadly. The rumours of Jun Senoue not being part of the soundtrack is alarming as well, and the music I've heard from he game doesn't light the soul on fire.

Mania is the the game many wanted, and I'm happy for that. Forces has the potential to be awesome, but it could go wrong. While I loved Colours, Generations and Lost World, I want Forces to be a huge success. If it can match Generations in terms of gameplay, I'd happy, if it could match Adventure 2 in scope and depth of story and character development, I'd be happy. If it could match Colours soundtrack in diversity and quality, I'd be happy, if it could match Lost World in graphical quality, I'd be happy, if it could match the 2D games in Boss difficulty, I'd be happy. Hell, I want Forces to be the 'ultimate' 3D Sonic Game... and with all I've noted alongside a  Chao Garden, it would be perfect. I'm unsure whether it can all come together, and with Mario Odyssey looking to be Mario's game changer, I don't want Sonic to fall by the wayside in the same release month with a half-arsed attempt to be tonally and stylistically different from the Plumber just to diversify the 3D-market. While Mania will bring the nostalgia and grounding the franchise needs after years of uncertainty despite some good things, I want 3D stability and if Forces can deliver that, I'll be more than satisfied even if some of the above noted desires and wants aren't met.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Vocal Analyst said:

I'm rubbish at pretty much all 2D Sonic games, but I've still pre-ordered Sonic Mania. I played it at Summer Of Sonic last year and it was fantastic. Hopefully it's final release will be just as good. As for Forces, I'm looking forward to it but I have reservations. I love the OC character creation and unique story for it, and the tone looks to be quite dark, something I've wanted since Adventure 2. I still don't like only having Sonic as the sole major playable character... I grew up with multiple stories and characters being developed in Adventure through '06, and wish for its return, which outside of the OC journey isn't happening sadly. The rumours of Jun Senoue not being part of the soundtrack is alarming as well, and the music I've heard from he game doesn't light the soul on fire.

Mania is the the game many wanted, and I'm happy for that. Forces has the potential to be awesome, but it could go wrong. While I loved Colours, Generations and Lost World, I want Forces to be a huge success. If it can match Generations in terms of gameplay, I'd happy, if it could match Adventure 2 in scope and depth of story and character development, I'd be happy. If it could match Colours soundtrack in diversity and quality, I'd be happy, if it could match Lost World in graphical quality, I'd be happy, if it could match the 2D games in Boss difficulty, I'd be happy. Hell, I want Forces to be the 'ultimate' 3D Sonic Game... and with all I've noted alongside a  Chao Garden, it would be perfect. I'm unsure whether it can all come together, and with Mario Odyssey looking to be Mario's game changer, I don't want Sonic to fall by the wayside in the same release month with a half-arsed attempt to be tonally and stylistically different from the Plumber just to diversify the 3D-market. While Mania will bring the nostalgia and grounding the franchise needs after years of uncertainty despite some good things, I want 3D stability and if Forces can deliver that, I'll be more than satisfied even if some of the above noted desires and wants aren't met.

I actually miss playing as different characters and their own unique levels aswell. Though some Knuckles/Rouge levels were quite annoying to play, I still had no problem with those games overall and actually liked that type of playstyle.

I'm not a fan of the unique characters, stuff, though... I never really had the intentions of creating my own characters, since I lack creativity for it(lol), but I could still enjoy the game even with those features, I guess.

And yeah, there's lots of risk when it comes to 3D sonic games, lol. You can never be 100% sure:D

@Vocal Analyst I like multiple playable characters as well, but one of the biggest problems with 06 was the overabundance of different ones. Seriously, there are 9 playable characters. Don't you think that's a bit much? And they all played differently. I'd have settled for 3 or 4, personally. Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles and Tails. Let the others be guides or something.

23 minutes ago, Celli said:

@Vocal Analyst I like multiple playable characters as well, but one of the biggest problems with 06 was the overabundance of different ones. Seriously, there are 9 playable characters. Don't you think that's a bit much? And they all played differently. I'd have settled for 3 or 4, personally. Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles and Tails. Let the others be guides or something.

Definitely. Sonic Adventure series had it best, a good amount, with a decent amount of difference, going fluidly with the storyline. 

God damn writing so much about these games makes me want to beat them again.:D

10 hours ago, Niko said:

How it was received and how it was designed are two different things though. It has all the major factors that made up both Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 from gameplay to how the story played out.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Discordian said:

How it was received and how it was designed are two different things though. It has all the major factors that made up both Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 from gameplay to how the story played out.

Sure, it was SUPPOSED to be that, but because of it's extremely poor execution I doubt that it would deserve to be SA3.