Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Celestia/Canterlot subsidizes other areas in Equestria?

Azureth

(edited)

Doubt it. Equestrian government seems to be pretty hooves off everywhere there isn't a princess. Civil defense and emergency services are carried out by civillain volunteers.  

Edited by Denim&Venom

My personal headcanon is that yes, the crown oversees everything, and Celestia and her advisors partner with the mayors to ensure the needs of each town are met.  So, it doesn’t surprise me at all that Celestia is busy all the time.

8 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

My personal headcanon is that yes, the crown oversees everything, and Celestia and her advisors partner with the mayors to ensure the needs of each town are met.  So, it doesn’t surprise me at all that Celestia is busy all the time.

I agree with this. I do believe that the Crown oversees just about everything.

On 2018-04-05 at 2:40 PM, AlbaTross said:

Funnily enough, my personal headcanon is very similar, only instead of the Crown ruling everything, the Royal Family rules with the assistance of a council consisting of representatives sent from each town in Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Lance Shield said:

Funnily enough, my personal headcanon is very similar, only instead of the Crown ruling everything, the Royal Family rules with the assistance of a council consisting of representatives sent from each town in Equestria.

Actually, that's how I think it is too, although I think the real "council" is the mayors themselves who are tasked with knowing the needs of their citizens and making decisions based on what's best for their village, town or city.  As the mayors would be too busy though, they would likely appoint a pony to attend any official meetings in Canterlot in their stead...which now that I think about it works out to be pretty much exactly what you said.  This is actually a very short version of my entire headcanon on Equestria's government and economic system.  

• Brohoof 2

The way Equestria works does seem a bit weird at times.  Overall, it does appear that the various Mayors hold most of the power in their respective cities/villages.  To the point that when they meet in Canterlot for U.N. type summits, they are able to put a Princess under hoof.  Something that seems to be missing from the series, is that we don't see the Royalty really create laws.  Which means this is possibly taking place at the lower levels by the Mayors.  So, even though we have Princess Celestia, Luna and Cadance listed as rulers in some form, at most we seem them in more ceremonial positions rather than the position of a ruler by our standards.

Twilight is in the most awkward of positions.  She's a Princess, yet outside of a few ceremonial purposes, we never see her in a position of excising any type of rule or power.  Sure, we see her status honored out of respect, especially when Spike abuses the use of it, but we see this type of power come for the same kind we give celebrities.  However, there are also times when she visits places during her Friendship Missions and such, that she's treated with indifference or with little care from the public that she's a Princess.  She has a castle in Ponyville, yet isn't listed or mentioned as the ruler of Ponyville.

In this respect, it appears if anything that the 'ruling' Alicon class of Princess' is more akin to being well respected neutral mediators that serve to settle disputes between Mayors so that Equestria doesn't spiral into chaos, rather than those that make the law of the land for all Equestria. 

There is also that little blurb when Princess Luna made her appearance in Luna Eclipse and she carried a much stronger demeanor, and loud voice, we more associate with somepony that rules.  Going on about 'Old Canterlot'.  So was there a time that the Sun and Moon ruled with a more iron hoof?  

Politics doesn't seem to a focus the creators are all that interested in, and I don't blame them.

Just my two bits.

• 2 years later...