Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cutie-mark and color combinations.

Steel Accord

An OC for my planned fanfiction has a white coat. His name is White Belt so it's kind of a Pinkie Pie, name/color scheme match. However I'm trying to think of a mane color that's better than just black yet not totally eye searing in contrast. Could use some help, especially if a specific shade of white would go better with a specific mane color.

Secondly, I have an idea for a cutie-mark but I'd like to hear other suggestions. As you might tell from the name, White Belt's thing is the martial arts. Although he's not particularly violent. Rather his special talent is that he's basically a walking introduction to the concept of the martial arts as spiritual and physical self-improvement. That training to fight and looking for a fight aren't the same thing. He's always looking for other great masters or lost techniques to learn them.

So his cutie-mark is a spear crossed with a scroll. Any better ideas of what he could have or is that good?

23 minutes ago, Red Cedar said:

A yin-yang symbol might be more appropriate, though it would overlap with Sunset Shimmer's cutie mark.

I had considered it but a couple of things stopped me.

A ) someone else’s OC already has it.

B ) That would imply White Belt is particularly Taoist in thinking and that’s not inaccurate but he’s not Lao Tzu either. He’s just as much a deliverer of Buddhist philosophy and Bushido.

• 1 month later...

I think the spear and scroll is a bit elaborate for a cutie mark. It could work, but they'd have a lot of trouble going unnoticed. Why a spear and scroll specifically? What colors are they? Why? Just little things to ask yourself, especially as a writer to really flesh out White Belt~ <3 

I think white coat/black mane is always a safe bet. If you are really feeling a color change what about adding shades of grey into his mane? I live for tri color manes, and I bet a monochromatic coat/mane would look pretty sick! 

1 hour ago, Moon Sugar said:

I think the spear and scroll is a bit elaborate for a cutie mark. It could work, but they'd have a lot of trouble going unnoticed. Why a spear and scroll specifically? What colors are they? Why? Just little things to ask yourself, especially as a writer to really flesh out White Belt~ <3 

I think white coat/black mane is always a safe bet. If you are really feeling a color change what about adding shades of grey into his mane? I live for tri color manes, and I bet a monochromatic coat/mane would look pretty sick! 

Well the idea is that he’s a martial artist, as the name would imply. The idea being that he does the physical fighting (the spear) but understands the philosophy behind it as well (the scroll).