Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The term "In Person"

Lord Pretty Pie

While I'm not sure if this is the correct category for it, I could not find a more reasonable location. I just wanted to know how, in the show, they would go about using the term "In Person". "In Pony" Doesn't sound right, and they cant just not change it, because what the hay is a person? So... Yeah.

They could get around it by saying something like, "face-to-face" instead.

But I guess since these ponies display the intelligence of humans, they could qualify for personhood. *shrug*

• Brohoof 4

I think "person", along with "people", etc., are normal terms in all fictitious universes. I've seen it used normally, and I think it's a normal legit term. So in all cases, I think that's fine.

The only thing I see normal in the world is "-pony" terms such as "everypony", "anypony", "nopony", etc.

Hmm... Maybe. Perhaps "In the flesh"... But that phrase has always seemed a bit morbid to me. You know, as opposed to meeting someone out of their flesh? :blink:

That made me laugh out loud for some reason xD

I wouldn't think the term "in person" comes up a lot in Equestria, communication seems fairly limited, either you meet face to face or you write a letter so maybe they just entirely avoid saying it or it's even possible that their language never developed a need for the term.

(edited)

I don't think that "person" or "people" necessarily mean "human". I think that any being that is intelligent enough to function in our society could be called a person. Of course, in the real world, the term only applies to humans because we're the only species with this level of intelligence, but in the show the ponies are pretty much on the same level of intelligence as we are so I think they would qualify as "people".

According to Descarte, "the term "person" may designate any human (or non-human) agent which: (1) possesses continuous consciousness over time; and (2) who is therefore capable of framing representations about the world, formulating plans and acting on them."

(from wikipedia)

So yes, I think that ponies can technically be called people.

Edited by Marshmallow
  • Brohoof 1

I've always liked the idea that there was "everypony" and "everyone" in Equestria. While "everypony" would be used most of the time, saying that in front of a griffin would be considered rude.

So maybe Equestria never really developed a need to say "in-person." So when they do need to use it, they say "in-person" because it's all there is. At least, that's how I look at it.