Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

request Cutiemark Redesign Brainstorm

PhantomThorns

So as a brief history, my OC`s cutiemark has remained basically unchanged since way back when I first designed him when i was first getting into the fandom, even though a lot of the rest of him got some tweaks

downsized_0707121435.jpg.f64e9158f0f95b7203e339e2b9a28cd8.jpg

This is my first real art of him

725956277_PhantomRef.thumb.png.98446f3b48c36673618a3975bf0e25fb.png

And this is the most recent. I feel hair and stuff has become a lot better but part of me feels like the cutie mark is a bit lacking. Its meant to be a sort of magic symbol or rune, essentially something representing his talent in studying/practicing magic but thats a bit hard to make out at a glance. I want to try and spruce it up or tweak it a bit but possibly keep some of the elements of the original and im not too sure how to approach it so looking for ideas, suggestions, redraws, or anything else that might help out. Maybe a good new design would persuade me to change it completely or perhaps some of you might think its fine as is. All input welcomed.

• Brohoof 1

Considering pretty much all magical talismans are crystals, a retexture could help get the magic message across better! Maybe adding some shading and texture to make the rune look like it's made out of jewels, or connecting it to a chain to look like an amulet.

9 minutes ago, Starforce said:

What is the cutie mark supposed to be?

Its meant to be a magic symbol or rune

9 minutes ago, JaspersFeathers said:

Considering pretty much all magical talismans are crystals, a retexture could help get the magic message across better! Maybe adding some shading and texture to make the rune look like it's made out of jewels, or connecting it to a chain to look like an amulet.

This could be real interesting...

I tried a bunch of tweaks to the gem idea but nothing i did i felt fit as a cutie mark well.

After a bunch of tinkering and throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks i came up with this idea i like

771623658_PhantomRef.thumb.png.f8dba9c9e896b2922566a3d6a89ddba6.png

Looks a lot more mysticy i think, still plenty of thanks for all replies for getting my creative juices flowing

• Brohoof 1