Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[UI] User posts and user profile preview window

Luna the Great of all the Russias

Some thoughts that came to mind with the way user posts currently appear.

image.thumb.png.9e96cb017a407f6acdfc948957adf460.png

Red:

It strikes me that it would make more sense if all the options with which a user may interact with a post were located in the same place, or at the very least on the same side of the post. In particular, it seems strange to have the options for quoting to be on the left side while the other options are to the right.

image.thumb.png.a5ecb2ac06533252ddbdffbdf6b0fe4e.png

There is probably a more elegant way to do this in practice, but by putting the quotation options to the right, all the post options are closer together.

image.thumb.png.4a9372ceebf81817cb420ff26fb661bf.png

Here, we have all the post options on upper right corner of a given post. Again, there is probably a more elegant way to do this is changes were to be made, but the options are even closer together compared to the above example. The additional benefit is that this eliminates what would otherwise be blank vertical space in a given post.

Blue:

It strikes me as strange to see a post that is taking up this much vertical space because of various user data situated on the left. This is less of an issue with regular users, but it is more prominent with staff users, users engaged in some roleplay event, or both as illustrated above. That said, I am not sure what would be a suitable alternate design if this is considered worth changing.

Edit:

I think it would be worth making this more compact -- perhaps by having each role on the same horizontal level.

image.thumb.png.f6445fe7cfe7c4003780b47b929a2589.png

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to [UI] User posts and user profile preview window
52 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Some thoughts that came to mind with the way user posts currently appear.

image.thumb.png.9e96cb017a407f6acdfc948957adf460.png

Red:

It strikes me that it would make more sense if all the options with which a user may interact with a post were located in the same place, or at the very least on the same side of the post. In particular, it seems strange to have the options for quoting to be on the left side while the other options are to the right.

image.thumb.png.a5ecb2ac06533252ddbdffbdf6b0fe4e.png

There is probably a more elegant way to do this in practice, but by putting the quotation options to the right, all the post options are closer together.

image.thumb.png.4a9372ceebf81817cb420ff26fb661bf.png

Here, we have all the post options on upper right corner of a given post. Again, there is probably a more elegant way to do this is changes were to be made, but the options are even closer together compared to the above example. The additional benefit is that this eliminates what would otherwise be blank vertical space in a given post.

Blue:

It strikes me as strange to see a post that is taking up this much vertical space because of various user data situated on the left. This is less of an issue with regular users, but it is more prominent with staff users, users engaged in some roleplay event, or both as illustrated above. That said, I am not sure what would be a suitable alternate design if this is considered worth changing.

Edit:

I think it would be worth making this more compact -- perhaps by having each role on the same horizontal level.

image.thumb.png.f6445fe7cfe7c4003780b47b929a2589.png

Yes. Worry not. This is not a permanent feature. Just me breaking the site. ;)

All shall return to order shortly. :pout:
ignore the sounds of sawing and construction work of the site. 

8 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Blue:

This has been bugging me for ages and is not specific to the stuff currently being experimented with. Thank you for mentioning it. I hope to do something about it to make posts a lot more vertically compact but it might come as part of a more comprehensive update to the site's look.

@Silky The Smoll: See? I'm not the only one who is annoyed by how much scrolling short posts create. :P