how do i create a ponysona ?

angelfish420

i've got a problem that i've been dealing with for a freakin' while (pretty much since i entered the fandom i guess). i can make good character designs and stuff, and i'll make a ponysona that i feel adequately represents myself, but then after a while i turn them into a separate character instead of keeping them as my ponysona. is there any way to make a ponysona for myself without losing interest in it being my ponysona??? this has happened too many times and its starting to annoy me -_- (hope i worded this right, feel free to ask 4 clarification)

• Brohoof 1

When I created my ponysona, the very first one, I started to use the colors I love as coat, like green and then I just projected my own interests into my ponysona. After a while I created my current Ponysona which represents more of my soul (Childish, silly, a goofball) and it works out very well! 

• Brohoof 1

Don't mind me, just waiting for my pancakes.

1969050.gif

Sometimes it's just not in the cards for some people to have ponysonas, I have created many, many characters that were originally going to be sonas, but as I developed them, they ended up as their own, unique characters. I still use one or two to represent me, so in that way they're "sonas", but it's not just me as a [whatever], and that's fine.

I think as long as you just be yourself, even if you use an OC of yours that isn't really you to represent yourself, it'll be ok and people will still want to engage

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, angelfish420 said:

i've got a problem that i've been dealing with for a freakin' while (pretty much since i entered the fandom i guess). i can make good character designs and stuff, and i'll make a ponysona that i feel adequately represents myself, but then after a while i turn them into a separate character instead of keeping them as my ponysona. is there any way to make a ponysona for myself without losing interest in it being my ponysona??? this has happened too many times and its starting to annoy me -_- (hope i worded this right, feel free to ask 4 clarification)

A ponysona is supposed to be a good representation of yourself but it doesn’t have to be exactly like you. For example: My ponysona is a merpony and in their human form, they have a condition that makes it hard for them to walk, I don’t have this condition irl but the sona is still representing me

• Brohoof 1

As the above posters have pointed out, the 'sona' is a representation of you, but it doesn't have to BE you exactly, as was stated in the  post above me by TheElementOfCreativity.

I've created many OCs over the years. Heck, I've slowly created an entire village of nothing but OCs and there will probably be more somewhere down the line. DebonedAngel mentioned it's not in the cards for everyone to have a sona, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. A good way to start out is by deciding what race in Equestria you think you might be/what represents you best, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a pony, despite the term 'pony-sona'. And a sona can change and evolve over time in design, just like many OCs can. to

For example, my sona started out as an earth pony.

MidnightFire.thumb.png.c0b48cb0ae5cfa3418a081900e813040.png

I gave her fire abilities that could go haywire under emotional duress, but she could use them freely otherwise. This was before the episode focusing on kirins/niriks debuted, and I fell in love with the race. The spontaneous combustion made more sense to me and I wanted to turn my sona into a kirin, but I didn't want to give up the earth pony part because i felt like it represented me so well, yet i can have a fiery temper like a kirin sometimes, so I blended them into a hybrid, the best of both worlds. (I also wanted to update her design to be more unique because I was starting to get accused of copying a well-known brony youtuber, but that was only a small part of why I redesigned my sona.)

MidnightFireredesign.thumb.png.b1b0be9bbd63b4f80a654ed727a2c266.png

I turned her into this, and she's been the same ever since.

I should also mentioned I had an incredibly hard time settling on a cutie mark for her, but the drawing pen with the fire coming out of the tip is what I settled on, because her name is Midnight Fire, and I wanted to represent that.

Of course, if you pick a race that doesn't have a cutie mark (kirins don't have cutie marks in the show, but I wanted my sona to have one and she was part earth pony so it made sense) cutie marks don't matter, but it could be that perhaps your sona hasn't earned theirs yet and you could always give them one later.

Something else that can help if you're stumped on what colors to make them is to make them look a little like you (hence why my sona has brown hair/hazel eyes) and/or to use your favorite colors for them. My favorite color is red so her fur became red, and later on her kirin scales became gold because i love the color and it looks really nice with the gold.

In the end though, it's all up to you what your 'sona' looks like. We can all give you suggestions and examples of what we did when making our own - if we have one - but the process is different for everyone. I hope you'll be able to make one if you're really set on doing so. Everyone will help you out as much as they can, I'm sure, and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

EDIT: I can't say for certain if you'll get bored of them again. I can't speak for myself as I've had the came sona since I made her; she just went through a bit of redesign. If you end up tiring of a new one, you could always try doing what Princess Celestia suggested and switch them out every so often if you get bored.

Edited by MidnightFire1222
  • Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1