Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions of this new art style for avatars?

Pix3M

(edited)

If you have never seen my works and want to see my older style, feel free to visit my dA page in my sig.

I started an art habit with an intention to improve on an underdeveloped talent, so I would eventually reach a point where I have to stop making more of the same retro-esque stuff and try something new and much more complicated. It was suggested to me by a fellow brony, who happens to be really well-read in pixel-art and wanted to help me out, to use a style that does not necessarily use an outline, and to try out some manual anti-aliasing to soften up my works.

My results? That avatar you see to the left. That avatar style takes a lot longer to make than old style I used though because of the extra micro-management of pixels that comes with it, so I'm feeling pretty beat.

And for commissioning purposes, how much money are people willing to toss at me for an avatar of this new style? I don't wanna make a wild guess just to find myself swamped and overworked from being flooded. :blink:

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Here is the way I work in freelance with regard to over work. If I have no jobs, my price is low. If I have a lot of work and I am not really looking for more work my price becomes very high to make it worth my wild. If someone pays that prices both win. Vary your price based on how much work you already have.

For the price to start at... I would say 5 - 8$ in that style and at that scale.

Edited by Bohtty

Here is the way I work in freelance with regard to over work. If I have no jobs, my price is low. If I have a lot of work and I am not really looking for more work my price becomes very high to make it worth my wild. If someone pays that prices both win. Vary your price based on how much work you already have.

For the price to start at... I would say 5 - 8$ in that style and at that scale.

Pretty basic economics that I already understand, fyi :P

(edited)

Would polling your followers for the most they'd be willing to pay be worth an attempt?

Watch them dishonestly vote low and watch me get trolled :lol:

Nah, not sure if that's a smart move. The only method I can think of without having to ask the very people who would probably want one to start with is to look at my competitors, but the problem is... I own a monopoly :blink: (lol)

Edited by PixMeister

(edited)

Pretty basic economics that I already understand, fyi :P

Then where is your problem :P

Nah, not sure if that's a smart move. The only method I can think of without having to ask the very people who would probably want one to start with is to look at my competitors, but the problem is... I own a monopoly :blink: (lol)

Nah, your in an oligopoly because there are other websites that do pixel specific stuff. Go find someone who does commissions and then compare by hours. Edited by Bohtty

Oh, that's very much true. Well, the best I can think of otherwise is to go higher than previous and adjust as you see fit, thu I guess that isn't too different from what Bohtty was getting at.

Then where is your problem :P

Nah, your in an oligopoly because there are other websites that do pixel specific stuff. Go find someone who does commissions and then compare by hours.

You're probably right that I am not looking outside of my own clique, but the more dissimilar I am to another artist, the more difficult it is to compare. Eh, I'll try that anyways.

As for not seeing what the problem is if I can easily adjust my price, I think what I'm concerned with is being flooded at the beginning.

(edited)

You're probably right that I am not looking outside of my own clique, but the more dissimilar I am to another artist, the more difficult it is to compare. Eh, I'll try that anyways.

As for not seeing what the problem is if I can easily adjust my price, I think what I'm concerned with is being flooded at the beginning.

start very high then, like 10 or 15$ or just say you will raise the price if you get flooded. Edited by Bohtty

start very high then, like 10 or 15$ or just say you will raise the price if you get flooded.

That will probably do. It only feels so strange being able to take this much money so easily after all those years of unpaid work. ^_^

That will probably do. It only feels so strange being able to take this much money so easily after all those years of unpaid work. ^_^

I know exactly how you feel. My web work was exactly the same way.

Personally, I think $8-10 is a reasonable price to pay for an picture made by someone of your skill level, Pix, and an amount you'll probably be happy to earn. If the unscaled picture was a bit larger than 75x75, I imagine people would be willing to buy them even for $15.

The new style with anti-aliasing looks very charming, although I must admit that using fewer colours and no anti-aliasing had a certain appeal to it as well.

(edited)

Personally, I think $8-10 is a reasonable price to pay for an picture made by someone of your skill level, Pix, and an amount you'll probably be happy to earn. If the unscaled picture was a bit larger than 75x75, I imagine people would be willing to buy them even for $15.

The new style with anti-aliasing looks very charming, although I must admit that using fewer colours and no anti-aliasing had a certain appeal to it as well.

Speaking of the older style, I'm not even sure how much I should offer for the older style if people were interested in them, or I want to offer them at all. While it would make more sense to offer less because it takes less effort to make them, I could see it as 'encouragement' to not work on techniques I should be perfecting instead. Eh, I could probably see in the near future a few artists trying their hand with my old style as it's already started to happen, and they'll probably fill in for me.

Edited by PixMeister