Rarity Experiment

Phaeston-e12

...wow I'm speechless at how horrible this try-out turned out to be.

I knew that her 'older' form had some undersketching problem (eyes/chest) but decided to go for it since my main goal was to practise line-art. But I was completely unaware of the fact that I was using a very grey color for my line-work and I realized it as soon as I started to color it.

...I'm not even going to put this on DA; this is horrible.

the left-image is a trace line-work from one of the vector tracing I've done. ugh. oh well. lesson learned.

constructive criticism on the linework would be appreciated. I know there are several problems.

post-5710-0-99786500-1341974128_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

What are you talking about?

This looks great,

I like everything about it, the pose, the eyes, the smile, the horn looks a slight odd since the size, but everything else looks good

Edited by Q. Pinkazoid The Bearded

lel.png

:3

What are you talking about?

This looks great,

I like everything about it, the pose, the eyes, the smile, the horn looks a slight odd since the size, but everything else looks good

Thank you, but I'm not sure if it's my samsung monitor but grey-linework is way too bright on the spot where color is much darker. I think I'm going to deviate from normal color scheme to make it work on the style I'm trying to go for. I completely agree with horn however, I think I need to round it out on the next time; her horn is still short. I also will try to work on making her eye look better next time.

it's so funny, I did an "older" Rarity art a couple of days ago.

well, if you wanted to draw her in your very own style, it looks cool, just put her left pupil more visible, because she looks a bit like derpy. now, if you wanted her to look just like the show, you might want to change that style. Hope it useful to you

• Brohoof 1

signature_by_kyle23emma-d626v04.gif

My OC's: Motion Spark || Beat Spark || Rosebelle

Sorry, I don't take REQUESTS!

(edited)

it's so funny, I did an "older" Rarity art a couple of days ago.

well, if you wanted to draw her in your very own style, it looks cool, just put her left pupil more visible, because she looks a bit like derpy. now, if you wanted her to look just like the show, you might want to change that style. Hope it useful to you

I tried doing vector tracing many times, I've given up on that aside from doing background because there are some things I'm trying to do but doesn't fit that well with MLP vector style. I actually had a slightly different hairstyle for her because of the storyline I was working on would have caused her to look bit more 'rugged'. But I was too lazy and as I've said, undersketch had quite alot of problems so I didn't bother. I've already started on doing another to be comfortable with her older form more.

Perhaps an improved version, still some areas that makes me cringe. But here you go.

*I have got to remember to add that sig*

*god that horn seriously bothers me* <- again the undersketch problem.

post-5710-0-58912400-1341987566_thumb.jpg

Edited by ein12
  • Brohoof 1

I tried doing vector tracing many times, I've given up on that aside from doing background because there are some things I'm trying to do but doesn't fit that well with MLP vector style. I actually had a slightly different hairstyle for her because of the storyline I was working on would have caused her to look bit more 'rugged'. But I was too lazy and as I've said, undersketch had quite alot of problems so I didn't bother. I've already started on doing another to be comfortable with her older form more.

Perhaps an improved version, still some areas that makes me cringe. But here you go.

*I have got to remember to add that aig*

OMG! it's beautiful I love her!!! i'm going to asume that you used your own style with the drawing. It's perfect! how do you did it??

OMG! it's beautiful I love her!!! i'm going to asume that you used your own style with the drawing. It's perfect! how do you did it??

By looking at the other artists, analyzing what makes them tick and what I can learn from them. Right now I'm in process of making my artwork simpler but detailed. The second one I've done I did it while looking at a reference. I'm going to have to draw her again and again to figure out the effective way to carry her out.

By looking at the other artists, analyzing what makes them tick and what I can learn from them. Right now I'm in process of making my artwork simpler but detailed. The second one I've done I did it while looking at a reference. I'm going to have to draw her again and again to figure out the effective way to carry her out.

I don't understand, what are you trying to do? a comic? do you want to use show SAME art style or your own? is OK either way, really

(edited)

I don't understand, what are you trying to do? a comic? do you want to use show SAME art style or your own? is OK either way, really

Have a very detailed fan-story thing going in my head; making comic at my limited skill would be a stretch however. But might as well give a shot for it once I can get comfortable with drawing characters but right now I'm just trying to find a linework style and creature style that I can be happy with.

Lesson learned from the above picture is that I need to use a bigger brush to do the linework. The linework I've done with my original character is fairly close to what I've been looking for; then again I've drawn her over and over again and perhaps that's why.

http://einsicht12.de...al-II-313743088

Edited by ein12
  • Brohoof 1

A voice in my head told me to brohoof this. I'm not even kidding, I'm a bit freaked out now. It's 4:30 in the morning, I need to go to bed. Nice work there though. You really got down Rarity's hair.
  • Brohoof 3

GAK

That's really good actually. A few proportions off, but close enough. The one you posted ad had a few bigger proportions off, mostly the front left leg and the horn. It is really great art nonetheless; I've seen good and bad art and this is better than good.

Yeh

Want to know how to get more page views? Click here.

Are you saying I know nothing about art? Because that looks great and not terrible at all! It's awesome!

post-3011-0-11205100-1342809145.png

Don Mec. Lean x Cloud Chaser

All You Need Is Love ~ John Lennon

Signature made by Cloud Chaser

Are you saying I know nothing about art? Because that looks great and not terrible at all! It's awesome!

Thank you, part of my problem is that I'm an absolute perfectionist. I tend to be ridiculously critical about myself and things I do; kind of puts alot of mental stress but least I seem to be able to learn things ... fast?

• Brohoof 1

that's your own Rarity and I approve this. Your drawing is perfect, just adjust her flank, raise her butt and thighs a little bit and put her tail comming out of the center of her butt (I know that sounds weird) because it looks like it's attached to her back.

You're really good and you should be able to create a good comic, if the art is like this and the story is good, I would so read it

that's your own Rarity and I approve this. Your drawing is perfect, just adjust her flank, raise her butt and thighs a little bit and put her tail comming out of the center of her butt (I know that sounds weird) because it looks like it's attached to her back.

You're really good and you should be able to create a good comic, if the art is like this and the story is good, I would so read it

Thank you, I'm still going to tinker her abit however. This was merely a third attempt into her and I still see room for a change. As I've said on my DA page I want to also try doing some bust of her showing different expressions as well.

(edited)

just curious... is the story about her?

Nope, I made the storyline as part of my own character development project. The theme is bit more mature than the original series in terms of the idea I'm trying to discuss. (I've shifted the main character focus of the original series to enable that.) I've planned to have Twilight Sparkles and Rarity as an important supporting character because those two are the kind of characters that my main would actually take interest in. I'm not so sure if it would fit into people's taste however, the character is very old and her appearance shows that.

Well, another poor sketch -> line art attempt done by me.

I'm not particularly happy with this piece because her expression seems... off.

Doing the frontal face is not my area of strength and it's going to take perhaps 20~30 faces to get used to it I suppose.

I'm also not happy with his thick the lines are. I need to choose the appropriate line weight based on what kind of picture I'm doing I suppose.

...castle designer Rarity, in middle of some unexpected photo-shoot from a Equestrian Castle Designer Monthly when she's all dirtied up and in middle of a work. She isn't particularly happy about it.

post-5710-0-50171100-1342056992_thumb.jpg

Edited by ein12
  • Brohoof 1

There is only two problems with the uncolored image

1 - Her mane is cut short near her head, needs a bit more.

2 - She appears to be missing her left hind leg.

You've already mentioned the main faults in the colored one, but there is ONE more here. It's here nose, it's flattened out and makes her appear more like a male pony then female, whom have rounder noses.

Practice makes perfect; but if nobody's perfect, why practice?

http://hazardus-havard.deviantart.com/

Art

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/70801/an-alien-walks-amongst-us

Story