Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Tried to Draw a Pony

Reuel(Crystal Slave)

Okay, I will say this: drawing isn't my forte. Music is. In fact, before this I hadn't drawn anything in a couple years, for the most part. But I decided, after seeing some jaw-droppingly amazing art on Equestria Daily, that I had to try. The following is the result of my work... I started out with a small sketch, scanned it, traced it with Gimp, then added color, shading, and modified some parts.

Please give me tips on how to get better! Thanks! :)

Posted Image

• Brohoof 4

Please give me tips on how to get better! Thanks!

Did you use a tablet or a mouse?

Start with cell shading before moving onto smooth shading. It's a more simplified way to shade and it's kinda like crawling before walking... not that everyone crawls before they walk.

Never use black. Use off shades of black like dark brown, dark purple or dark blue.

Don't use white overlays to represent spots of light, it looks unnatural. When lights overlap each other they create different colors not to mention that there are many different colors of light.

If you haven't already I would recommend using guidelines (the circles and lines before you actually draw anything.)

It's hard to suggest you some further practice without knowing where you want to be in the future in terms of art style. There is one thing I can say though, if you have passion or inspiration to draw then do it. Don't let what you think you are capable of doing hold you back. Everyone was a novice at one point and they only got better through practice and instruction. Natural talent is a myth :]

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 1

Did you use a tablet or a mouse?

Start with cell shading before moving onto smooth shading. It's a more simplified way to shade and it's kinda like crawling before walking... not that everyone crawls before they walk.

Never use black. Use off shades of black like dark brown, dark purple or dark blue.

Don't use white overlays to represent spots of light, it looks unnatural. When lights overlap each other they create different colors not to mention that there are many different colors of light.

If you haven't already I would recommend using guidelines (the circles and lines before you actually draw anything.)

It's hard to suggest you some further practice without knowing where you want to be in the future in terms of art style. There is one thing I can say though, if you have passion or inspiration to draw then do it. Don't let what you think you are capable of doing hold you back. Everyone was a novice at one point and they only got better through practice and instruction. Natural talent is a myth :]

Wow, thanks for the great advice! I'll take it all into account and try making another drawing tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

• Brohoof 1

Don't let what you think you are capable of doing hold you back.

I can probably speak from experience. That tree avatar I drew on a pixelling program... Those are probably the first tree tiles I have ever made, and probably the second tree I've ever spent serious effort on.

Trying something a little different every time.... I find that it gets you places

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 1

I like this. It's really defined and when I first laid eyes on it I thought it was very well done. The only thing that majorly bugs me is the head placement when looking at the neck.

Nicely done!

Here's a tip, flip the canvas horizontally to check for errors e u e Also, try getting some variation in the lineart (thin at he ends, thicker in the middle)

Here's a little thingie I drew to help you:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 4

It's better than I could ever have done! I really like the shading and highlighting that you've done! It looks great! I also like the colours and the background! :) <3

Hey nice job on your first (or one of your first) pictures :)

The improvement's suggested above are all that's needed!

Just keep practicing !!!! Thats the most important part :)

• Brohoof 1

Nicely done!

Here's a tip, flip the canvas horizontally to check for errors e u e Also, try getting some variation in the lineart (thin at he ends, thicker in the middle)

Here's a little thingie I drew to help you:

Posted Image

THANK YOU. This is really cool, I wish I'd seen it before drawing my second one (which still turned out alright). Thanks for the tips everyone, I love the support! <3

I like this. It's really defined and when I first laid eyes on it I thought it was very well done. The only thing that majorly bugs me is the head placement when looking at the neck.

Agreed. I think my next one is wayy better, you might like it. :) It's of Rarity, I just posted it here.

Hey nice job on your first (or one of your first) pictures :)

The improvement's suggested above are all that's needed!

Just keep practicing !!!! Thats the most important part :)

Thanks! I really appreciate getting encouragement like this. :) I'm going to keep drawing and try to get better!

• Brohoof 2