Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Assembling a pony RPG Team.

Bronyponyfanatic

How in the world can sound travel through space to another planet? I have a hunch that you might wanna have some more careful planning to avoid having a cliché story line full of logical holes. If you wanna make history, a bland story is something you probably want to avoid.

Radio waves. They travel at light speed through a vacum and could easily be interpreted by an alien race.

And the story has changed apparently :o. What is it now?

you also havent looked at everything else we have discussed on the other forum i created... The story is completely different now. And also guess what... It's all cartoon logic..

I don't believe the 'it's a cartoon' is a really good response when I hear about a plot that basically destroys the concept of space. It's outer space; there is no sound because there is no physical medium for sound to travel though, such as air.

By the way, you know what it takes to make an RPG more epic than every other RPG out there, right? RPG's are huge projects, and I am not kidding. Here I am creating little side-scrollers in TWO DAYS for a My Little Game Jam competition while my own RPG project with a team of 10-ish people doesn't even have an alpha after three months.

Edited by Pix3M

I don't believe the 'it's a cartoon' is a really good response when I hear about a plot that basically destroys the concept of space. It's outer space; there is no sound because there is no physical medium for sound to travel though, such as air.

By the way, you know what it takes to make an RPG more epic than every other RPG out there, right? RPG's are huge projects, and I am not kidding. Here I am creating little side-scrollers in TWO DAYS for a My Little Game Jam competition while my own RPG project with a team of 10-ish people doesn't even have an alpha after three months.

OK cool? Your posts are becoming more and more... Pointless... In the end there really isn't anyhting you can do to stop us now. :P

Radio waves. They travel at light speed through a vacum and could easily be interpreted by an alien race.

And the story has changed apparently :o. What is it now?

http://ponydev.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=10

most of it is still up for change.

OK cool? Your posts are becoming more and more... Pointless... In the end there really isn't anyhting you can do to stop us now. :P

You're right. I can't. Are you even sure the project will be finished? There are so many dead projects out there that I don't even know even existed. There is somebody on my team who has like half his dropbox folders full of dead game projects. What you do not want is an enormous project that will take forever to finish, and ends up dying as the project loses its direction. This is a legitimate concern as you PROBABLY don't wanna have your hard-earned money for RPGmaker VX or your valuable time gone to waste.

Look at what other people manage to make with a team similarly sized as yours; you should get a good idea of how realistic and achievable your goal is. Your project is just starting, so there are many things you can change at the start before you start making enough content that it's impossible to change your project scope.

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 1

"But. The game will not be traditional. Instead of one really really big rpg that would take forever to culminate (who knows if bronies will rise or decline by the time the whole game is done) we will instead have the story of rescuing the mane 6 from discords evil mind control. This would consist of a lengthy time getting to each pony. And each time you rescue a pony, you get a certain unlock."

I don't know what "lengthy time" means, unfortunately. How many hours of play time are you going for?

Edited by Pix3M

D: I thought this was going to be released step by step so we'd get over the hurdle of taking ages? Y'know like episode wise. But yea this pony's right. We should get our goal sorted of what's actually happening instead of having everything going on at the same time :P Needed to really concentrate the actual aim, instead of this vague idea before opening up the discussion so much to supers and artwork and that. It needs to be really precise and everpony needs to know we're sticking strictly to this plan. A lot of discussion needed to completely refine the ideas.

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree with Pix here.

We should start out with something small. Except the boss could be Discord not something that would require a huge amount of time.

Lengthy time? I say 5 minutes to get each pony.

I have to agree with Pix here.

We should start out with something small. Except the boss could be Discord not something that would require a huge amount of time.

Lengthy time? I say 5 minutes to get each pony.

Haha, I think 5 min is a bit short for an "RPG" though.... don't you think? At that point, I wouldn't call it an RPG but a little adventure game.

Well, 5 minutes to get each pony. So 25 minutes to get the pony, boss battle, etc. Around 30 minutes for entire RPG to be completed. If it was 5 minutes for the entire RPG...i'd be pretty short >.<

D: I thought this was going to be released step by step so we'd get over the hurdle of taking ages? Y'know like episode wise. But yea this pony's right. We should get our goal sorted of what's actually happening instead of having everything going on at the same time :P Needed to really concentrate the actual aim, instead of this vague idea before opening up the discussion so much to supers and artwork and that. It needs to be really precise and everpony needs to know we're sticking strictly to this plan. A lot of discussion needed to completely refine the ideas.

This would actually work, and give us a reason to work and finish it. If we make a part of the game (For instance, saving twilight,) We could make it much longer, and then release it as a kind of "episode". That way, instead of working on everything at once, we can keep our ideas relatively narrow-minded :D

• Brohoof 1

This would actually work, and give us a reason to work and finish it. If we make a part of the game (For instance, saving twilight,) We could make it much longer, and then release it as a kind of "episode". That way, instead of working on everything at once, we can keep our ideas relatively narrow-minded :D

Lol I dunno about that.. Thats not what i ment though. I ment it would be like how mlp started with a longer story for the first part... then there was a new story in episode 3 that wasnt as long

release one medium sized rpg and then many small additions. with rpg maker its easy since you wont have to start all over. it just adds it onto the current story.

• Brohoof 1

Lol I dunno about that.. Thats not what i ment though. I ment it would be like how mlp started with a longer story for the first part... then there was a new story in episode 3 that wasnt as long

release one medium sized rpg and then many small additions. with rpg maker its easy since you wont have to start all over. it just adds it onto the current story.

Kinda what I meant. Like, for the first "Episode" We can release Three of the Mane 6. That way we can put more effort in less places. And for "Episode One Part 2" we release the final three was an "Add-on". So that way we can make either side much better quality.

Er just how big was every pony seeing this project was going to be? I was committed for a whole year's amount of work for a good few hour RPG. We'd get a good release dat as well, just before the 4th season is coming and everpony is craving for some pony goodness. I was thinking the fandom would still be big after a year whether fans are lost or not.

• Brohoof 1

Er just how big was every pony seeing this project was going to be? I was committed for a whole year's amount of work for a good few hour RPG. We'd get a good release dat as well, just before the 4th season is coming and everpony is craving for some pony goodness. I was thinking the fandom would still be big after a year whether fans are lost or not.

I was thinking the main release(s) in a year, and some of us would continue working on some smaller further stories after. So I kinda had the same idea as you.
  • Brohoof 2

So lets say this hypes up proper, get a good size team. 1 year 2hours of gameplay? Continue with episodes which add 30mins every half year... it'll be easier because we've sorted everything in the first. So maybe only an hour at first then build on it with different ponies working on different stories. I dunna... just an idea

• Brohoof 4

Also guys, there are ways to try to create longer game-play with less time put into development. You just need to understand some basic psychology or at least some basic game design.

If a player does something in a game, they ought to get a reward. If the player likes the reward and feels it's worth the time to do it again, then they'll do that same thing again for that reward again. This reward does not always have to be money and EXP, but can also be flashy effects, huge numbers, cool SFX, anything that feels satisfying in its own way. If you really wanna make game play longer, you just gotta set up something up to feel rewarding to do again.

I think MMO's are great at this, yet from my experiences, that's what makes them kind of infamous. It probably doesn't hurt to see how games try to create longer game play time with less content, but whatever you guys do, keep it reasonable :P

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 2

I'm no good at seeing how much effort = time into gameplay. :/ Really need to ask someone who's tried this before. Cmon. We get a team of 20+ right, working for a year using a lovely duvely program, how much do you calculate? Then got all the stuff sorted and just work on this finalised (you know what I means by finalised) piece of work to makes new stories.

I'm no good at seeing how much effort = time into gameplay. :/ Really need to ask someone who's tried this before. Cmon. We get a team of 20+ right, working for a year using a lovely duvely program, how much do you calculate? Then got all the stuff sorted and just work on this finalised (you know what I means by finalised) piece of work to makes new stories.

I think it HEAVILY depends on the genre. RPG's are complicated and they are among the toughest projects you can possibly take on. There are other genres that are stupid easy to code, such as side-scrolling shooters, which are rather fun for how little it really takes to code for one.

Also guys, there are ways to try to create longer game-play with less time put into development. You just need to understand some basic psychology or at least some basic game design.

If a player does something in a game, they ought to get a reward. If the player likes the reward and feels it's worth the time to do it again, then they'll do that same thing again for that reward again. This reward does not always have to be money and EXP, but can also be flashy effects, huge numbers, cool SFX, anything that feels satisfying in its own way. If you really wanna make game play longer, you just gotta set up something up to feel rewarding to do again.

I think MMO's are great at this, yet from my experiences, that's what makes them kind of infamous. It probably doesn't hurt to see how games try to create longer game play time with less content, but whatever you guys do, keep it reasonable :P

The whole idea on going longer is so one, we don't get overwhelmed, two, we have more time to make a QUALITY piece. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

• Brohoof 1

Cmon. We get a team of 20+ right, working for a year using a lovely duvely program, how much do you calculate?

By the way, the larger your team, the harder it is to be organized. It means that there are more people to keep track of, and more people who need to be kept up to date to know what's been done and what hasn't, and more people to get into a consensus for the direction of a game project.

• Brohoof 2

Everyone who is commited to actually helping us out in this forum, I think what we need to do is all just sit down and get one thing sorted before we try and dive into everything at once.

If it gets too confusing for people (like now, I dont think half of us even know what's happening) then they're not going to want to do it, and it's just going to be another dead-end project.

• Brohoof 1

Are any slots open for composers for background music? I can make retro/chiptune music, along with Drum and Bass, trance, Prog rock and Hardcore. I might also be able to make similar battle music to Fighting is Magic if you want

If you are still looking for people to help you out with the game, I would be more than happy to. I have (some) experience in coding, making sprites and such. Im also pretty good at drawing.

I could atleast help out people with the coding and drawing some background stuff.

This is something I have wanted to do for a while, but never had a team to do. I have a copy of RPG maker XP, Im nto sure which you are using, so I dont know if I can help. But I will suggest you find tilesets as well and everything to make it nice. If you need any help testing or scripting, or just designing maps, let me know! :lol:

I'm pretty much excited and can't wait for this to start.

I'm planning out the NPC scripts right now. :D

Meh, I'm doing about 10-NPC's per town. Not counting main-character ponies. Is that OK with you guys?

ooh this sounds fun, I would really love to help!

I can do help with concept art or give creative input and criticism or maybe I can help the the organization if no one is already, stuff like when can everybody get together for discussion, Like a coordinator or something rather. Also, skype would be a great alternative to a public forum!

If this is going to be a legit process and get developed as such, I am comPLETELY on-board for music. Some good practice with Reason and FL Studio is in order, I guess. And I can do acoustic if we need it because I have a really good setup for that.

Electronic or acoustic, either way I'll help out as much as I can.

Since I don't know any advanced, technology stuff, I would like to voice Fluttershy if you would be adding audio to the characters. Maybe also a screenwriter, but considering I procrastinate, I dunno... :P

If you need another tester I can find bug easy... I been on many beta testing and can be quite hoofy (handy get it?) and can also handle anything in the way of concept ideas.

I can help with gameplay mechanics, I've worked on several games from a mechanics standpoint (none that ever got off the ground, sadly). Also, story concepts, universe building, stuff like that.

I'm not familiar RPG Maker, but if it's anything like Game Maker, I can help with code.

This idea... it pleases me. I would be more then happy to help. Level design, story writer, I can do either. Would I need a personal copy of RPG maker though?

OK EVERYPONY! Feld0 has officially gotten our own developing forum up and running!! Everyone be sure to bookmark, and of course register!:

http://talesofequestria.mlpforums.com/

I know the forum isn't much yet, but I need some help from feld0 to get some themes going on, and to get some plugins working too.

I also got to go to work right now, but I will be on at about 9 (EST)

looking forward to working with you guys! /)