Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I need a bit of art critiquing.

FlutterShay

Hello! I've been drawing my oc for my new tumblr account, but I need a bit of help in drawing her better. Anybody able to help?

Here's Bea.

Posted Image

So, the body is weird, the eyes are wonky, and everything else ain't too great either.

Any help?

which program are you using? if you get a program for vector art you will most likely be able to draw something that looks visually more appealing. The front most line of her back leg needs to come in at more of a curve, it wouldn't hurt for her tail to be a bit longer, and I am not sure about the line underneath the eye. Speaking of eyes, I can not tell where her pupil and sclera are separated. I don't know if you want to do this but it would help if you made the pupil actually black.

Just to let you know, I couldn't do any better. This looks great to me, but again, look at my art. I'm not that great.

• Brohoof 1

which program are you using? if you get a program for vector art you will most likely be able to draw something that looks visually more appealing. The front most line of her back leg needs to come in at more of a curve, it wouldn't hurt for her tail to be a bit longer, and I am not sure about the line underneath the eye. Speaking of eyes, I can not tell where her pupil and sclera are separated. I don't know if you want to do this but it would help if you made the pupil actually black.

Just to let you know, I couldn't do any better. This looks great to me, but again, look at my art. I'm not that great.

Thanks so much! All of this is really helpful. I'll be sure to keep th is all in mind! (I'm using firealpaca, btw.) I'm clueless when it comes to drawing software, so...I'll take a peek at info about vectors.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks so much! All of this is really helpful. I'll be sure to keep th is all in mind! (I'm using firealpaca, btw.) I'm clueless when it comes to drawing software, so...I'll take a peek at info about vectors.

No problem! if you are looking for a vector program I would have to suggest using Adobe Illustrator CS5. It is not technically free, but there are ways...

Going vector will make it much easier to draw straight smooth lines as long as you use the fewest anchorpoints possible. The pupils also appears to have cataracts since the eyes are not black, and there's a darker color used on the outline. Eyelashes may benefit from using the same color for both top and bottom. Show accurate eyes are also not as almond-shaped as yours. Pose also seems awkward as front legs seem to be put together but back legs are spaced apart, and hooves are inconsistently curved.

I am not seeing how the body is off aside for the rump which can be rounder.

• Brohoof 1

Going vector will make it much easier to draw straight smooth lines as long as you use the fewest anchorpoints possible. The pupils also appears to have cataracts since the eyes are not black, and there's a darker color used on the outline. Eyelashes may benefit from using the same color for both top and bottom. Show accurate eyes are also not as almond-shaped as yours. Pose also seems awkward as front legs seem to be put together but back legs are spaced apart, and hooves are inconsistently curved.

I am not seeing how the body is off aside for the rump which can be rounder.

Thanks! I'm still fighting with the eyes, so I'm hoping they'll change for the better. I'm getting a lot of helpful info from you guys! Thanks!

As has already been said, if you use vector drawing programs, you'll end up with a much smoother drawing, and the eye could use a more defined pupil.

One other suggestion I have is to be creative and very loose when starting out your drawing. She's just kind of standing there and look up at the question. You could give her some more personality if you drew her in a different pose; maybe sitting down, facing the audience and looking up at the question with one cocked eyebrow; and you don't have to draw it super well right away. Starting off, just quickly doodle the general idea of what you want to end up with then finesse it as you go.