Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Introvert Thread

Cherry Blossom

I'm sure a lot of people here are Introverts, including me. :blush: So I took a deep breath and made this topic.

For those who don't know what introvert means:

in·tro·vert  
Noun
  1. A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person.
  2. A person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things.

Usually I would be very silent in front of my friends and whenever I talk, I feel like I start awkward conversations. Then I also have the tendency to stay comepletely silent in bigs groups and talk a bit in smaller groups. I never really talk about my feelings with my friends so I've been continuously living like this without them knowing. Sometimes I just want to be more outgoing so I can talk, talk, and talk.

Now how about you guys? Any of you feel the same way?

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely introverted, because I'd much rather be home by myself 99.9% of the time rather than being out and about somewhere.

I keep forcing myself to go out and do things though, because I feel like I have to. Of course, whenever I do that I immediately feel like going home as soon as I get there, and I never really have any fun. I don't even know why I leave my house anymore. And it's not that I hate people or society or anything, I would just rather be alone. All the time.

There's also the whole socially awkward thing, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem if I did go out more, but yeah. Practice makes perfect, but I never have the chance to practice...

I've never really had the desire to become more extroverted, though. I lead a relatively boring life because of my introversion, but there's no real desire for me to go out and "learn" how to be more outgoing. I'm pretty content with the way I am, believe it or not.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, I think I'm a little bit of both. My vert-ness fluctuates. At times, I feel like an Introvert, and at other times I feel like an Extrovert.

For those who don't know what introvert means:

in·tro·vert  
Noun
  1. A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person.
  2. A person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things.

Oh goodness... I don't think you should use the dictionary definition to explain to someone what an introvert is. The definition you provided sounds like it describes anyone who is selfish, and that is simply not what defines an introvert. I am glad that most people understand what being introverted is really all about, but posting the "definition" is doing nothing to help.

Introverts get a pretty bad rep for keeping to themselves. Often, they are deemed as secretive, suspicious, and untrustworthy. See a correlation with these assumptions and the definition? It's all very negative.

Being introverted is a great thing! You do not need to depend upon others for your happiness and peace of mind. I wouldn't have it any other way. It just kind of sucks how villainous introverts are portrayed, you know?

Anyway, I don't mean to come across as angry (really, I'm totally chill)... I just want to clarify for any future lurkers who misunderstand what it means to be introverted. I know I have only explained what it doesn't mean, but if anyone doesn't understand, please read up on it before you cast your generalizations.

I'm an introvert (both in this sense and the Jung-style "focuses on the subjective aspects of perception" version, for other personality theory nerds out there). I personally see more misunderstanding online of extroverts than introverts. Extroversion does NOT mean "shallow" or "thinks less". Where an introvert looks at something from an inner perspective, extroverts look at their mind from the outside in, so to speak. Sometimes they have trouble connecting to their sense of self, and introverts have trouble detaching from it and venturing into "The outside world" away from their mind.

However, there will be others who will disagree with my definition. Which is fine, because the definition of introversion and extroversion is so confused and divided, I don't even know where to start. I've taken to saying "according to this definition of introversion/extroversion...". 

That's why there's so much "that's not what it's about!". It depends on who you learned it from. Usually the first thing that comes to my mind is Jung, which is not what comes to most people's minds. 

• Brohoof 1