Have any tips on hand-drawing ponies?

FlooterShy

I'm not sure if this is the complete correct forum for it, but I'm assuming.

How do you guys draw ponies so well. I mean do you look at something or just draw it from your mind?.

How do you draw so well? All of you, I've seen so much posts of all these amazing drawings, and wish I could do the same.

• Brohoof 1

PSN ID: Flootershy

I'm a bit new to drawing ponies, too, but I'm doing fairly well with it, so I'll give you a tip that I figured out that helped me the most. And that is this: Don't be afraid to get curvy. Ponies have very shapely bodies and heads, so be ambitious when you shape them. For example, their necks and abdomens. Same goes for shaping their nose and jawline to make the muzzle. Also keep a close eye on how your lines intersect (neck to head, legs to abdomen, etc).

Hope that helped. :)

Edited by StratoPegasus

31ziw.gif

Follow me on Tumblr! http://stratosthestallion.tumblr.com

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/01/pony-drawing-guides.html

This page helped me a TON when I began drawing. After about a month of drawing ponies and getting a tablet, I've stopped using circles for the body and skeletons for the limbs. It all seems natural and you can tell when something's not right. One thing I still always do is start with a circle for the head and add guidelines for the face, to place everything on the face at the right angle. Nothing has to be perfect. Many styles create different ponies, some taller and some with longer legs, some with small snouts. It all comes down to what looks good to you. Hope this helps

• Brohoof 1

I can't draw very well, either! For so long, I've been wanting to draw my OC ON MY OWN, but I can't even draw a simple pony to begin with!! This thread will help me as well. Someone care to answer?? Any artists out there willing to spread their knowledge?? 

I learned how most artists learn, but with a bit of a twist.

I studied nude images of people to get their anatomy down, copied the outline of them over and over until perfection, then started working slowly on the details. It takes a long time.

As weird as it may be, I suggest drawing from nude images so you can later 'fit' clothes onto their body better.

Take each line SLOWLY, and pay attention to EVERYTHING.

Artistic ability isn't something people are born with, it's something you learn. It takes a lot of time.

Never give up and let your brain take over. Your brain will want you to draw a simple representation of an object. Learn to ignore it.

Pay attention to the lines, not to your brain.

You'll get what I'm meaning though experience eventually.

Just as a side note.

My main style which I use is very cartoony and simple. I choose this style out of my others because it's quick and easy to do on a tablet. On the other hand though, I can draw super detailed drawings if I wanted to, and I have.

I'm kind of re-learning a lot of techniques with my tablet. I can't really 'shade' or 'sketch' like I do with a pencil.

Edited by Zink
  • Brohoof 2

zinksig2.png

I like to break down ponies into shapes when I draw. :3 I always draw a circle for the base of the head so I don't make them too large or too small, same with the body proportions. I'm pretty sure you've heard this plenty of times but; practice makes perfect! I've surely improved a whole lot from when I started drawing by drawing everyday. o-O That sentence bugs me. XD But my way might not work for everyone, find the way that works best for you. :3 

To answer one of your questions, I mostly draw ponies from memory. 

Tip **Also color in the dark black in the eye last, it helps it not smudge as much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some helpful links:

http://twilightflopple.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Drawing-Guide-Heads-268211758

http://twilightflopple.deviantart.com/art/Random-Pony-Drawing-Guide-263679771

These should help.

Edited by Bronyette
  • Brohoof 1

v7PAGdl.png

Click on the Banner for more info!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/01/pony-drawing-guides.html

This page helped me a TON when I began drawing. After about a month of drawing ponies and getting a tablet, I've stopped using circles for the body and skeletons for the limbs. It all seems natural and you can tell when something's not right. One thing I still always do is start with a circle for the head and add guidelines for the face, to place everything on the face at the right angle. Nothing has to be perfect. Many styles create different ponies, some taller and some with longer legs, some with small snouts. It all comes down to what looks good to you. Hope this helps

Well, This is really helpful.^^)  I will try out these techniques! Soon enough I'll have my OC drawn and ready to go for all you lovely people to see!! Thanks to all the people who posted links and tips. Wow, I'm acting like I'm the one who asked the question first.  :wacko: All credit goes to you, FlooterShy for even THINKING of this question!  :wub: