Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can somepony help me please?

Eragonrde12

Hi, I want to buy MLP:FiP merch, but for that I must tell my parents (I'm only 13, if I was like 20 or something, I wouldn't have to tell them) -_-

So, how should I do it? They already saw my desktop AND phone background (both of which are ponies), but didn't even question it (they probably thought it was just something from "one of those dumb cartoons" as they say, though they've never seen me watch MLP:FiP) They've also possibly seen MLP:FiP on Netflix in the instant queue and in recently watched, but they probably thought it was my little sister.

So please tell me what I should do to tell them.

I know, I know, its just me watching a show, but it is a show (an awesome one at that) aimed for little girls and their parents, and i have no idea how my parents would react. (I know my brother, who is one of the biggest dorks ever, would call me a "barf sack" (did I mention he is a dork?) as he calls me everyday, but his opinion doesn't matter.) The one I'm REALLY scared about is my dad, he might just shrug it off, or give me a half-hour long conversation (About what? I really don't know) then ban MLP completely from the house.

And my parents are used to me being a weirdo around the house and stuff :lol:, so they might be okay with it, but tell me the LEAST embarrassing/awkward way to tell them, I don't want to start with "I'm a brony" and then they would ask "Whats a brony?" and then it would get all awkward with me explaining it to them... :P

Oh yeah, I'm a boy, so they might take it less lightly. You female bronies/pegasisters (whichever you prefer to be called by) have it easier!

So thanks in advance. /)

Just be honest with them. Thats the best advice anyone can give you.

If you are allowed to leave your house by yourself then just tell them that you are off to buy some toys. Or if they need to follow you just tell them about its fanbase and that you would love to have the main cast on your shelf.

So please tell me what I should do to tell them.

First of all, there's no foolproof method of doing so.  We don't know your parents, so we can't really predict how they will react.  That being said, from what I've seen, most parents seem to react in either a neutral or positive (but most often neutral) manner, so the odds are in your favor.

My advice is to be honest, and don't make it into a bigger deal than it actually is.  Being dishonest will obviously get you nowhere and likely make your parents think that there is actually something to hide.  Making it into a big deal could have the same effect.  In the end, you're really just telling them that you like a well-made cartoon, it's not quite as big of a deal as many people (myself included) make it out to be.

Keep in mind though that I also have yet to reveal this to my parents, so I'm not speaking from experience (I have no need to at the moment since I have all of the capabilities of getting the merchandise that I want on my own).  Hope that everything goes well!

Heres a few thing's to know about buying pony merch. 1. Hasbro pony merch is relatively expensive and the cheaper stuff you will be dissapointed with because the quality is never even close to where it could be. If you commonly go to the mall by yourself or with friends and you find a store like Target or Wal-mart these are the best places to do it. They usually have a large enough section where not everything you might want is missing. I will be doing a review on some plushies i got recently they are only about 7 bucks each. 2. If and when you do get the money to buy pony merch make sure you are comfortable doing it. I being a girl don't have this problem but alot of my brony friends cannot bring themselves to go to the girls aisle to buy a toy for themselves. Work up the courage to do it and noone at the register will judge you. Pretend you are buying it for a younger sister or something. 3. Once you do buy it make sure you have yourself a nice little space where noone would ever find it because i do know that in families where Parents or siblings are not approving of a family member being a brony they sabotage what stuff they do have. I started my collection with MLP trading cards and Slap Bands (braclets). 4. Fan made Pony merch WAYYYYYY better than anything Hasbro can dream of making. Unfortunatly because fan made stuff takes time and is hand made it is very very expensive stuff to buy. Handmade plushes made by the fandom usually sell for anywhere between $50 to $500 on ebay. You may still be too young to buy things online without your parents but familiarize yourself with a site called WeLoveFine. They have tons of fan made MLP stuff thats much better than anything Hasbro makes. If you live near a Hot Topic they have nice MLP clothes there too.

If you are allowed to leave your house by yourself then just tell them that you are off to buy some toys.

I'm not allowed to, even if I was, I don't have a car :P

That would be awesome if they let me though

Just be honest with them. Thats the best advice anyone can give you.

My advice is to be honest, and don't make it into a bigger deal than it actually is.

Heres a few thing's to know about buying pony merch. 1. Hasbro pony merch is relatively expensive and the cheaper stuff you will be dissapointed with because the quality is never even close to where it could be. If you commonly go to the mall by yourself or with friends and you find a store like Target or Wal-mart these are the best places to do it. They usually have a large enough section where not everything you might want is missing. I will be doing a review on some plushies i got recently they are only about 7 bucks each. 2. If and when you do get the money to buy pony merch make sure you are comfortable doing it. I being a girl don't have this problem but alot of my brony friends cannot bring themselves to go to the girls aisle to buy a toy for themselves. Work up the courage to do it and noone at the register will judge you. Pretend you are buying it for a younger sister or something. 3. Once you do buy it make sure you have yourself a nice little space where noone would ever find it because i do know that in families where Parents or siblings are not approving of a family member being a brony they sabotage what stuff they do have. I started my collection with MLP trading cards and Slap Bands (braclets). 4. Fan made Pony merch WAYYYYYY better than anything Hasbro can dream of making. Unfortunatly because fan made stuff takes time and is hand made it is very very expensive stuff to buy. Handmade plushes made by the fandom usually sell for anywhere between $50 to $500 on ebay. You may still be too young to buy things online without your parents but familiarize yourself with a site called WeLoveFine. They have tons of fan made MLP stuff thats much better than anything Hasbro makes. If you live near a Hot Topic they have nice MLP clothes there too.

Thanks, and I do live near a mall with hot topic in it (I think, I don't really pay attention to the mall :P though I'm pretty sure there is one in there)

Just one problem, I will be honest, but what do I say? :huh:

I'm not just going to run in their room and yell "I LIKE PONIES!!!" :P

Just ask them if they can buy you some My Little Pony merch. If they ask why you want it, just tell them the obvious thing: the show was created for younger girls, but you (along with a lot of other males your age and older) like the show, and you want to buy some merch to go with you love for the show. If they're understanding parents then I'm sure that they'd understand.

Just ask them if they can buy you some My Little Pony merch. If they ask why you want it, just tell them the obvious thing: the show was created for younger girls, but you (along with a lot of other males your age and older) like the show, and you want to buy some merch to go with you love for the show. If they're understanding parents then I'm sure that they'd understand.

alright, thanks, I'll ask when I'm with my mom because she's a bit more understanding than my dad, he, I really have no idea what he would do. My mom would probably just give me a weird look and deal with it, or then tell my dad, but idc really :P

thanks anyways

/)

• Brohoof 1

I'm in the same spot you're in, I'm debating with myself how I'm going to tell my bigger sister. I'm 14, a close enough age to you and I am desperate to buy some mercy such as posters and maybe a plush or two.

I personally think that I should start with my sister as she isn't such a jerk as your brother sounds like :D and then make my way to telling my parents.

Yeah, so just don't make such a big deal out of it and do what vengeance said!

When i first told my parents, they didn't really react. They assumed it was just one of those "internet things", which it is. When i first wanted to actually purchase merchandise, they kinda gave me a strange look, but just went with it. And so now i have a giant replica of ponyville on my dresser  B)  But your best bet is truly to just tell them and be honest. Thats what i did and it worked :D

Good Luck!

--Final Smash

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Well, they already know you like MLP I presume, so it wouldn't hurt to ask them. Just tell them what you like about MLP. If they really love you they'll probably understand.