Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Coincidence? King Sombra, Nightmare Moon & Discord

PurpleBaconEater

am i the only one who has wondered if it was just lazy writing or a coincidence that [almost] every villain from MLP FIM seems to have first appeared 100 years ago? i wondered about that.

we all admire the show, so im sure none of us really believe that the writers are at all lazy. so, hen whats the explanation for the whole 1000 yrs. ago business? I have had more than a few head cannons, but as to make this intro not to confusing and clogged i will post those in an independant comment below.

anyhoo, what are your thoughts? i would give my ideas first, but i dont want to accidentally limit this conversation to just what i think. so feel free to post head-cannons and discuss below ^.^ I'm excited to se other ideas and opinions.

(edited)

I've wondered about this a lot too... and hoped for a spinoff series or some movies detailing that time period img-1326417-1-smile.png

My main theory is that Celestia and Luna came from somewhere else to Equestria around that time, went on various quests beating up the baddies that had been occupying the land, and in the process of dealing with Discord also had an adventure searching for the elements of harmony (In Return of Harmony, Celestia said they discovered the elements when fighting him).

One mystery to be solved is that in the Hearth's Warming Eve story, Celestia and Luna apparently weren't around yet, or at least not ruling (unless perhaps if Princess Platinum was in fact Celestia herself), but the original Equestrian flag is a picture of them. The only thing I can think of is that there was a prophecy of some sort relating to them. Or that it was originally different but they used the modern flag in the play for the sake of the young ponies in the audience to understand what was going on. Or it was just an animator oversight.

Here's another thought... what if Celestia and Luna were born normal ponies in the 1000 years ago era (probably unicorns on the sun and moon moving committee, to explain their cutie marks), and discovering the elements of harmony is how they became alicorns? The elements were involved in Twilight's transformation, after all. Only problem is Cadence, because she was a young alicorn recently, and the elements had apparently not been used since the banishing of Nightmare Moon.

EDIT: Just discovered that there's a semi-canon explanation of Cadence becoming an alicorn (born pegasus) in the book "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell" (go here if you want more detailed spoiling tongue.pnghttp://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Princess_Cadance#Twilight_Sparkle_and_the_Crystal_Heart_Spell), so apparently the elements aren't the only way... but that does make the theory I described above plausible smile.png

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 4

I've mentioned this in a few places before but, my basic head canon is that Discord came prior to NMM and Sombra. He was the very first plague across the land of what would one day be called Equestria. Celestia and Luna overthrew him, and that's when they became rulers of the land. Then came Sombra a fair bit later on, who the sisters banished in order to save the Crystal Empire and thus all of Equestria. Nightmare Moon then formed not long later, obviously within the same year most likely. That's where the biggest chance for head canons comes in. Did Sombra have anything to do with Nightmare Moon? I think it's definitely something interesting that's worth talking about. I have a head canon concept for that, here.

• Brohoof 1

Because ancient evils are far more interesting than some big bad who just came out of no where with no history. By writer saying they are that old the audience wants to know more about them. Plus it gives plenty of speculation for let's face it, a fandom that looks way too much into a silly fun show about cute cartoon ponies.

im also curious about headcannons that explain what corrupted luna. am i the only ine who has wondered about some mysterious force that came and plagued her  mind and drove her jealousy into hyperdrive? i saw one story on deviantart with that theory (id need to find it though) and then there is a video by BronyCurious on YT that has a really cool explanation centred around what made sombra so powerful is the same thing that happened to luna. he makes a lot of great points (and i know i cant do him justice so you can go check it out yourself) anyway, my favourite theory has to be that discord came first and that he isnt the only spirit and some mysterious force affected luna turning her into NMM. i really would love to see some expansions on this "spirit-thingy" anyone else wonder if there are more?