Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

C.Discord's Crazy Theory Time: King Sombra, Dark Magic & Luna's Corruption

NavelColt

This theory sort of bumbled out when I was talking with Nascarfan in Skype chat about something a bit similar in relation. But it hit me...

One thousand years go, Celestia and Luna overthrew King Sombra, who had taken over the Crystal Empire. King Sombra was a master in the arts of dark magic; the black, purple and bubbly green magic that we've seen him use, as well as Celestia and Twilight demonstrate in the season three premiere.

We also know that one thousand years ago, Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, fought with Celestia over the moon's eternal place in the sky, and got banished.

What if Luna began to look into dark magic after encountering and defeating King Sombra with her sister? What if the studying and use of the dark magic began to subtly eat away at her psyche, altering her personality for the worst? What if it was this extended use of dark magic that lead to Luna's heart becoming filled with jealousy towards her sister, and ultimately lead to Luna turning into Nightmare Moon?

Bare with me.

Luna was probably already harboring envy for her sister, there's no doubt about that. But if she started screwing around with dark magic, it may have pushed her beyond the tipping point, which could have resulted in Nightmare Moon developing. Dark magic would have probably enticed her, since she's all about the darkness as well and, let's face it, being a bit naive, especially back then, she might have thought the magic was just 'misunderstood'. Young and fairly innocent, her mind may have been heavily influenced by the negative magic's effects, and before you know it, boom, Nightmare Moon: A seed of envy, blossoming forth due to black magic.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 21

And this is exactly why I think Twilight shouldn't be messing around with this black magic stuff. It's dangerous. :|

I thought something about too. I freaked out when Celestia first used black magic, and even more when Twilight did. Very nice theory~ :3

• Brohoof 3

This is what in looking forward to seeing, mainly some sort of Twilight losing control of her new black magic. I mean, it may be a cliche thing, but we at least need to see it done in this show. Twilight's an adorkable magic addict, per se, and it's only natural she'd get a taste of her own medicine, in a way. I'm really excited to see where they go with the dark magic in the show for the future. Plus, the theme is a bit dark, and I really want dark themes for this show. Not of much, but a good amount.

Anyways, this is overall a very interesting theory. I'm glad I was there to as you about it. xP

Edited by NASCARFAN160
  • Brohoof 3

And this is exactly why I think Twilight shouldn't be messing around with this black magic stuff. It's dangerous. :|

I thought something about too. I freaked out when Celestia first used black magic, and even more when Twilight did. Very nice theory~ :3

This dark/black/shadow magic stuff is probably the single most interesting thing to come out of the premiere, for me, especially after seeing Celestia AND Twi using it. I really, really want to see more of it in the future. Like you've said, it's clearly dangerous, and may be the reason Sombra turned into the power-hungry tyrant he is. I'd love to see Twilight delving a bit further into it, personally. There's a lot of things the show could gain by having an episode focused around her looking deeper into it.

• Brohoof 7

Yes, been waiting for this, a sort of darkness or corruptive entity to be introduced in the series. Yes, i like dark themes too^^ Now i shall be waiting for twilight to venture forth into the depths of such magic(if said theory is correct). :lol:

This might make more sense than the Discord theory I have about him leaving something of a curse upon Luna (not unlike how the Crystal Empire fell) if Sombra was defeated after Discord was.

I'd also point out that Luna's powers extend beyond just the regular alicorn magic we've been accustomed to seeing from Celestia and others. Her kind of magic might be a branch of dark magic itself, albeit tamed and cannot be corruptible by conventional means. That said, the two "branches" are so closely related, the purer one (Sombra's magic, obviously) can influence any other branch much moreso than say, Celestia's magic which is a bit different than Luna's.

• Brohoof 4

This is quite the interesting theory, it does make sense. The only real flaw I can think of is that I actually haven't noticed dark magic having any effect on its users yet. I know its dark magic so therefore it should and maybe it'll have more revealed about it, but It doesn't seem to actually have show any alteration in twilight or Celestia when they used it.

Also is it just me or does hasbro like the number 1000 :P

This dark/black/shadow magic stuff is probably the single most interesting thing to come out of the premiere, for me, especially after seeing Celestia AND Twi using it. I really, really want to see more of it in the future. Like you've said, it's clearly dangerous, and may be the reason Sombra turned into the power-hungry tyrant he is. I'd love to see Twilight delving a bit further into it, personally. There's a lot of things the show could gain by having an episode focused around her looking deeper into it.

I will admit, the recent usage of more "mature" themes like combat and drama has been risky, and it has either greatly surprised us (A Canterlot Wedding), or slightly disappointed us. This black magic business would have been executed a lot better if they focused on Sombra a bit more, like how they did with Chrysalis by giving her some freedom as a character and letting her develop on her own, to great - and I repeat, great effect. Not only did she top favourite character polls more than just a few times, it paved the way to use some of her traits and incorporate them into future villains.

I will admit, the recent usage of more "mature" themes like combat and drama has been risky, and it has either greatly surprised us (A Canterlot Wedding), or slightly disappointed us. This black magic business would have been executed a lot better if they focused on Sombra a bit more, like how they did with Chrysalis by giving her some freedom as a character and letting her develop on her own, to great - and I repeat, great effect. Not only did she top favourite character polls more than just a few times, it paved the way to use some of her traits and incorporate them into future villains.

While it would have been nice if Sombra was around a bit more to show the black magic off more himself, I'm incredibly happy Twilight and Celestia actually used the black magic themselves. Knocking a few holes in the 'black and white, good and evil' wall is a great thing for a series to do in my opinion. By having the good guys, neigh, not just the good guys, the two most harmonic ponies in the series using the black magic and not just having it be a bad-guy thing brings more light to the 'people aren't born good and bad, it's the decisions they make that determine who they become'. For example, Sombra would have chosen to let black magic engulf him, probably because he desired power above other things. Meanwhile, Celestia clearly also studied black magic, but was wise enough to know that it had the power to corrupt.

It's also the fact that the good guys used black magic, causing the concept to not be hands-off to good guys, that makes my OP theory all the more believable. If Celestia knows it, Luna probably does too.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 5

That makes.. alot of sense. It seems obvious to me that Sombra was corrupted, not just born evil, and I think it's definitely through the dark magic. I actually freaked out a little when Twilight began using it. I think Twilight will descend down the same path that Luna does in your theory which should make for a great episode. It all makes perfect sense, to me at least.

I was not this pumped during the week in between episodes last season, I'll tell you that.

That's what I was thinking on the post: http://mlpforums.com...mpire-vanished/

Luna and Sombra have similar powers like being able to shift into a smoky apparition. Also need to note that Sombra was big on enslaving ponies. On http://mlpforums.com...ackstory-ideas/ himanuts points out all the Crystal ponies were Earth ponies... King Sombra the only unicorn. This could mean that Sombra could possibly been a nazi/unicorn supremacist that believes unicorns should be top and earth ponies the slaves. Perhaps Sombra has even higher regard to alicorns and attempted to transform into one? Kind of like thinking the aryan is the the most advanced human being.

It's possible that King Sombra planted some ideas into Luna and they may have learned the same kind of magic after all Luna transformed back to her old self when she was hit by the Elements of Harmony and Sombra for a brief moment was himself again with no smoke. I also think Twilight might gain a darkside or something after messing around with that dark magic that stuff always happens to the main character.

Edited by poniesforfun

Is it weird i was actually expecting another one of your little head-canons after the premiere? Probably not. Anyway that theory does make plenty of sense. Can't really disprove it and it gives a justifiable reason as to why Luna turned into NMM. I like it. And i do agree i would definatly want to see more of this dark magic myself. Perhaps we can have some other antagonist who delved to deep into the stuff too? Like some wizard or scholar or something that seems nice then turns evil. Really i would just want to see more stuff about magic in genral. Its very fasinatin'. Magic in this universe is a very interestin' thing isn't it?

• Brohoof 1

:huh: Huh, it's definitely possible. Very interesting theory, and very plausible, considering she obviously didn't turn evil overnight. She probably was impressed by the fact that a unicorn, in wielding dark magic, could even present a threat to the two most powerful alicorns (and only alicorns that we know of) in Equestria, and that could certainly have initially drawn her into looking into dark magic. Although I have to wonder if Celestia looked into it as well, considering she actually used it in some form early in Episode 1? However, if she did, she probably looked into it after she had banished Nightmare Moon to the moon, maybe even a couple centuries afterwards, when she was much older, maturer, and wiser, and thus able to handle studying dark magic.

:huh: Well... that, or she's just evil in her spare time, as I've long suspected. B)

Oh I am so getting banished to the moon! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

The dark magic bit is setting up to be a prime example of Chekhov's Boomerang. How could one not ask about where Celestia learned about dark magic, or how it relates to King Sombra? Twilight used is successfully; but tapping into evil rarely if ever works out for protagonists. And since the scuttlebutt is that this season will be one large arc rather than a bushel of slice of life episodes wedged between mini-arcs, the introduction of dark magic---and the re-establishment of the Crystal Empire---might very well be addressed down the road.

Until we see Luna using dark magic, however, I don't feel in a position to comment on it. Should she do so, then all bets are off.

• Brohoof 2

I also think Twilight might gain a darkside or something after messing around with that dark magic that stuff always happens to the main character.

So do I.

If Celestia knows it, I don't think Luna wouldn't, so even though she hasn't yet, I doubt Luna has never used it before. But we'll have to wait and see.

Mmm, perhaps we'll get light shed on how Luna transformed into Nightmare Moon through the episode of Luna and Celestia's past. (If it's a real thing...please, Celestia. Please.)

I like your theory though, I could see it happening.

The dark magic bit is setting up to be a prime example of Chekhov's Boomerang.

Well speaking of Chekhov's Boomerang, I know I'm not the first pony to say this, but Sombra's horn could also turn out to be a Chekhov's Boomerang as well. Granted, none of the Mane 6 actually used it per say, but it was an item that featured in the episode, and the creators felt the need to show it simply getting blasted into the distance, unlike its presumably deceased owner, so I would not at all be surprised if it turns out to be a plot device in a future episode (most likely the presumed return of Trixie episode).

But yes, I could just as easily see the dark magic playing the role of a Chekhov's Boomerang as well. It was simply used just a bit too casually by Twilight to just be ignored and not come up again in a future episode.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with the idea of the Sombra Event possibly giving way to Nightmare Moon somehow. And I specially love how you explained Luna's possible motives and understanding to pursue Dark Magic after their confrontation with Sombra.

• Brohoof 1

This theory sort of bumbled out when I was talking with Nascarfan in Skype chat about something a bit similar in relation. But it hit me...

One thousand years go, Celestia and Luna overthrew King Sombra, who had taken over the Crystal Empire. King Sombra was a master in the arts of dark magic; the black, purple and bubbly green magic that we've seen him use, as well as Celestia and Twilight demonstrate in the season three premiere.

We also know that one thousand years ago, Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, fought with Celestia over the moon's eternal place in the sky, and got banished.

What if Luna began to look into dark magic after encountering and defeating King Sombra with her sister? What if the studying and use of the dark magic began to subtly eat away at her psyche, altering her personality for the worst? What if it was this extended use of dark magic that lead to Luna's heart becoming filled with jealousy towards her sister, and ultimately lead to Luna turning into Nightmare Moon?

Bare with me.

Luna was probably already harboring envy for her sister, there's no doubt about that. But if she started screwing around with dark magic, it may have pushed her beyond the tipping point, which could have resulted in Nightmare Moon developing. Dark magic would have probably enticed her, since she's all about the darkness as well and, let's face it, being a bit naive, especially back then, she might have thought the magic was just 'misunderstood'. Young and fairly innocent, her mind may have been heavily influenced by the negative magic's effects, and before you know it, boom, Nightmare Moon: A seed of envy, blossoming forth due to black magic.

Huh I said something similar on a thread about King Sombre and how underused he was. :) Nice to know somepony else is on a similar wavelength there.

Although I speculate that perhaps Luna became infected, for lack of a better word, and became Nightmare Moon. That would explain the story arc I see unfolding ahead.

Its already been mentioned by Tara Strong that Twilight will become an Alicorn at some point in a tweet. So I'm running on the idea the Luna was infected by King Sombre, and King Sombre was infected by something very very bad. And thats why Luna and Celestia are training Twilight, so she can become an Alicorn and defeat whatever this evil beastie is.

Edited by Fridge

Damn I just thought of this. King Sombre faced off against Shining Armor, how did he survive that?

Running on my idea of infection perhaps he has implanted a little of himself into Shining Armor in the event of defeat. I mean, it would be perfect. He would have a new body, a unicorn no less and he would already legitimately be on the throne.

Its the only reason I can think of for King Sombre to allow him to survive.

From what I've gathered, that Hub Tweet was a fake. With Tara Strong even confirming it after somepony asked her about it. So atleast at the moment, no source confirms alicorn Twi. https://twitter.com/...014805901172736

I stand corrected then. Well the theory still stands up minus the Alicorn part.

Thats a shame I had thought that was a damn good idea, especially if you make it only temporary so she can have normal adventures afterward.

...What if it was this extended use of dark magic that lead to Luna's heart becoming filled with jealousy towards her sister

I don't like that theory. Firstly because Luna would have no reason to even be interested in dark magic.

Secondly, if dark magic would have such effect on users, I doubt Celestia would allow Twilight to use it

And thirdly and most importantly: It takes away from the Mare in the Moon Tale. To me, the best part of it was the fact that a being as powerful as Luna was brought low by the all too mortal suffering of feeling neglected/unappreciated and Celestia's failure to notice her sisters grief in time. To say "she turned evil because of dark magic" would make the whole story a lot less unique and take away much of the tragedy.