Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much do you know?

Ghosted

(edited)

So tomorrow, I'm going into a debate round at one of my local high schools. And at this round, I'm presenting a bill that says "Require mandatory My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to be watched by all K-12 grade levels".

The bill proposes that schools implement MLP within the education system, and set aside one episode length of time to be used to teach children/teenagers about the importance of friendship and other morals that school doesn't teach us.

So here's where you come in! What I want is to hear the positives and negatives of this bill.

Think it's stupid? Tell me why, but make sure you back it up with evidence.

Think you can provide something that would help me win? By all means please share!

This isn't sparking a debate here, but instead I want to hear why or why not MLP should be implemented within the K-12 education system so that I can be fully prepared for tomorrow! 

EDIT:

Me here again! I may have forgotten to add that this is for congress of the nonsensical... But nonetheless, I would like to kick some butt so your help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by NeonDinosGoMeow
  • Brohoof 2

No.

While (as many biased people here might say) MLP is a great show, it isn't great for school material. It would just be better to incorporate those lessons into the School system. Not everyone is a fan of MLP, and shouldn't have to be forced to watch it. Even if they are learning something important, if I would rather read a text book, or do a project on the meaning of "X", then give me that option too.

For children under the "teen age group" this may be more acceptable, but I could see a lot of bored, angry, and annoyed teens from this suggestion. It would probably take away from the lesson entirely in a lot of cases.

Nothing infuriated me more in class than watching something I hated. Hating it would only cause the students to ignore the lesson completely, and cause wasted time and effort that could of been put to better use. Well, that is my 2 cents

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Pros:

MLP teaches that politics can be peaceful. In a world where Republicans and Democrats are constantly at war with each other and world politics often lead to embargos and wars, kids need to learn that politics doesn't have to be all about fighting and getting your way. Season 3, Episode whatever: Magic Duel. Celestia is seen at the end of the episode talking peacefully with the Saddle Arabians. The only thing that could really destroy this argument would be the finale of Season 2...y'know, invasion and stuff is kind of violent. But if you can capitalize on that one moment, it might help.

MLP teaches creative problem solving. Twilight vanquishes what borders on being an eldritch god (Nightmare Moon) with the power of frickin' friendship. Pinkie Pie gets rid of the parasprites with a one-mare band. Twilight makes everyone worship her doll so that she can have a lesson to write about (although that didn't end too well). I suck at coming up with examples for this one, but it is there!

MLP teaches that boys' and girls' spheres can intersect. Look at the brony community. We're dudes watching a show originally aimed at young children, specifically girls. But we've all learned from the show and have our own unique reasons to watch it and it is totally okay. While many people think it is weird, many more don't care because in our day and age girls can like boyish things and boys can like girlish things. Then make them manly. As. Buck.

MLP teaches the economic feasibility of the family farm. Season 2, Episode 15: The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000. 'nuff said. 

MLP teaches a gazillion morals and lessons. Every damn episode of Season 1, plus many more.

MLP spawned a community that utilizes these morals and gives back to the world. Talk to any member here and you'll find that they have a favorite episode, a favorite character, and a favorite lesson. Also consider @Feld0 creating this forum to gather us all, then raising money for the children's hospital. How awesome is that?

I know we had more, but I forgot. I feel like one of your biggest oppositions will be the brony community.

Cons:

BRONIES ARE GROSS EW GROSS PERVS. No we're not. Shut up.

Bronies just sit around and do nothing but touch themselves and think about ponies. Again, we raise money for charity and stuff. We're cool like that.

I can't think of anymore...anyway, good luck tomorrow, pal! I'd come watch but I'm lazy.

Also looks like no one realizes that this isn't meant to be taken seriously and obviously is a dumb idea. That is the point of Silly Congress.

Edited by Scoutaloo
  • Brohoof 3

As well intended as this may be it could end up backfiring, people don't like things forced on them and can in many cases dislike something they may have otherwise liked in large part because of that. MLP has some great lessons I am not denying that but there are some other shows which fit that bill as well, what makes MLP unique is that it defies the stereotype of what a "girls show" should be.

(edited)

I don't think the idea is too well. Not every student will like it that they will have to watch a show like this, because a lot of the youngsters will just go and think they're not supposed to watch this because it's My Little Pony, and think "I'm cool if I just don't like this." I'm sure you can think of the rest and what I mean. That's my short two cents worth on this.

Edited by ÷Zero

The idea isn't really going to work. Since the education system is broken, a show like My Little Pony teaches lessons but not the kind of lessons that a school would approve of. My two cents inserted right there.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

(edited)

I reckon if you got the core aspects and lessons out of it then it'd work, but 1. The school system is kinda busted where I am, 2. Haters are everywhere. I honestly think it would be detrimental for a school to incorporate a children's tv show into a young adult eco-system, no matter what the reception.

Then again, Bill Nye the Science Guy worked tongue.png

Edited by AStone
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I reckon if you got the core aspects and lessons out of it then it'd work, but 1. The school system is kinda busted where I am, 2. Haters are everywhere. I honestly think it would be detrimental for a school to incorporate a children's tv show into a young adult eco-system, no matter what the reception.

Then again, Bill Nye the Science Guy worked img-1475086-1-tongue.png

You can't beat that intro. "BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! Bill Nye, the Science Guy! It was just too cool and awesome. And the shows were actually both informative, and interesting. The difference between Bill Nye and MLP is Bill was targeted at students for teaching, MLP was not.

Edited by Hayze
  • Brohoof 1

You can't beat that intro. "BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! Bill Nye, the Science Guy! It was just too cool and awesome. And the shows were actually both informative, and interesting. The difference between Bill Nye and MLP is Bill was targeted at students for teaching, MLP was not.

Yeah :)

That was one of the reasons I thought MLP wouldn't work, it *was* a show made for teaching, but it definitely wasn't made for teaching students.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you everyone! This has sufficiently prepared me for the debate round tomorrow. I will make sure to post my results when I can. The expected congressional size is about 30 members, so I will see how many people will be convinced by me. 

Also, I am going to pass a bill about implementing cats into the United States Military. Spy Kitty go!

(edited)

Also, I am going to pass a bill about implementing cats into the United States Military. Spy Kitty go!

You make me want to join debating.

Too bad I have my concert band on at the same time as debating club sad.png

Good luck with your debate smile.png

Edited by Fallen Spark
  • Brohoof 1

Here's the update that I promised. The MLP bill passed 4:1:0, and now it's being considered for a bigger serious tournament/fund raiser! Thank you every one :)