Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trying to get better at writing

The Deus Ex Machina

So recently I've been trying to get better at writing and I need a interesting subject to write about yet I find nothing laying around in my mind worthy writing about that isn't insensible theories of aliens and stuff that probably doesn't exist anywhere else than my own distorted mind's depths.

Please nothing like a fanfic of something like VGcats or even Mlp. Like we don't have enough of those stumbling around like tumbleweed on forums and textdump sites.

also, comic sans just for annoyance why not huge comic sans just for annoyance.

Edited by The Deus Ex Machina

There isn't too many fanfics, there isn't enough time to read them, methinks.

Anyways, are you trying to get better at creative writing or reports and essays, or what?

For creative writing, I remember Stephen King once said "Read and write four to six hours a day. If you cannot find the time for that, you can't expect to become a good writer." so if you have that kind of time...

For reports and essays, I have no idea.

The best things you could possibly write about are those things that you pull from "your own distorted mind's depths."

They're the things that you've had ruminating in your brain for a long time. One day, you should just write one out. And pay no mind to whether or not it comes out good. It helps to get an idea out. You can develop it later.

I wub comic sans.

COMIIIC SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS

The best things you could possibly write about are those things that you pull from "your own distorted mind's depths."

They're the things that you've had ruminating in your brain for a long time. One day, you should just write one out. And pay no mind to whether or not it comes out good. It helps to get an idea out. You can develop it later.

This. This is something I do alot with my own writing.

If you need a jumpstart to help get you going, listen to some music, write down whatever the first scene/idea that pops into your head is. Another way to get you started is to write down whatever dream you had the night before. (I look for inspiration for my own writings this way all the time.)

After when you are done collecting your ideas, go back an look them over. Maybe you will see a way on how to connect all those more interesting random ideas. Go for it! Take those ideas, organize and rewrite them all in a coherant manner.

Heres some tracks I always let my own imagination run wild with to help you get started:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2ZgK9JADQ

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4fO-f33K0

Have fun!

Edited by SailorCardKnight

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you're theories of aliens might make an interesting sci-fi plot. That said, if you want to be grounded more in reality you could try your hand at another genre you like. Western, Noir, Wuxia, Epic poem there's an entire collective history of works to be inspired by. A good mantra to go by is, "you don't have to be totally original, just creative" some of the most honored works of fiction weren't groundbreaking, just playing the known tropes in a new way. (Casablanca, Dirty Harry, West Side Story, Star Wars.) For a more cerebral narrative form of self expression, you could write a character drama where your main character goes adventures fighting aliens, but the adventures are all internal. For inspiration, I recommend "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber.