Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Curious/Question] Why MLPFIM artworks mostly Digital made and not traditional?

Geohot

I really hard question i think

I have a subquestion too

I came up with this question

Let me know what you think

Q: which program they use to make digital mlpfim art???

I believe people use Wacom Tablets and connect them to their computer, the cheapest one can vary around seventy to ninety dollars It's very very unlikely but they may be using a regular mouse which is near impossible to use while drawing. Also I presume they do it digitally to make the lines neater seeing as drawing ponies can be .....troublesome.

The program that the majority uses is Paint Tool SAI which is free accompanied by a Tablet of some sort    

I believe people use Wacom Tablets and connect them to their computer, the cheapest one can vary around seventy to ninety dollars It's very very unlikely but they may be using a regular mouse which is near impossible to use while drawing. Also I presume they do it digitally to make the lines neater seeing as drawing ponies can be .....troublesome.

The program that the majority uses is Paint Tool SAI which is free accompanied by a Tablet of some sort

Actually, as far as I was aware, SAI is not free to use... there is a demo, yes, but it is not free after that expires. Personally, I used to sketch on paper, then bring it into my PC to do digitally, but now I just use my Bamboo Pen and Touch Tablet to sketch and draw in Photoshop CS6. That's just me, and I know a lot of artists prefer different programs and have more professional tablets, but I haven't had any problems with mine thus far.

• Brohoof 1

I generally use a combo of paint too sai and photoshop cs6 for the paintings and use illustartor cs6 for vectors.

when I animate I will generally for puppets make the parts in illustrator and then animate in flash or I will make the animation in photoshop or sai if im going for more of a traditional feel.

but I do love occasionally sitting down with some good tunes and a light board to crank out some animation traditionally

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Digital has many advantages over traditional which makes digital drawings all the more appealing. If I draw a traditional image and want to color it in I'll need to not only go out and buy some acrylics/pencils but then I'll need to be careful that I don't mess up during the inking/coloring process. With digital all my color options (plus more) are there and I can simply make a new layer for colors, values, highlights, and anything else I want to add. If I make a mistake in the traditional, depending on what it is, I may need to redraw what I just dun goof'd. With the digital I can simply Ctrl+Z any mistakes I make (I'm trying to move away from that though.)

So long story short, digital is more appealing because you have LOADS more options and tools at your disposal and you'll most likely spend less time and money on your image. As for what program I use it's currently Sai, Open Canvas and Photoshoop. But really it doesn't matter what program an individual uses but how they use the program itself.

Edited by Accellerant

(edited)

I used to be primarily a traditional artist until I started my animation course at uni 3 years ago and was forced to start learning to use tablets and digital software.

Contrary to popular belief, painting digitally isn't necessarily easier then painting with oils or watercolours. (Unless of course, you cheat, which is very easy to do with digital software).

It is however, quicker, and far more convenient. You don't have to worry about which brushes you have, which colour paints you have, sharping your pencils, getting rubber crumbs everywhere, making sure that you have good lighting (which is impossible in my room) or any other annoying peeves that come along with drawing and painting traditionally. 

That, along with the fact that digital art is very popular now days, and that it's much more industry standard then traditional art, is probably why most MLP art (and fan art in general) is digital.

There are certain challenges that come with traditional art that you have to get better at, but there also challenges that come with digital art that you won't have to deal with when using traditional mediums. 

The same goes for animation (at least, for 2D cell animation). But I've had a lot more experience with digital animation then working with a lightbox, so I might not be the best one to comment on it.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 3

Technology is rapidly spreading, and people are becoming more comfortable with digital media than traditional. You can sketch, lineart, color, render - everything - with a single cursor. It's also a very forgiving medium, as @@Accellerant says, and Ctrl+Z can get very addicting.

Furthermore, there are many tutorials for digital art, but not many for traditional art in comparison. In this way, digital is something everyone can learn, but getting enough information on anything else (scratchboard, anyone?) often requires an official class or two.

I generally use a combo of paint too sai and photoshop cs6 for the paintings and use illustartor cs6 for vectors.

when I animate I will generally for puppets make the parts in illustrator and then animate in flash or I will make the animation in photoshop or sai if im going for more of a traditional feel.

but I do love occasionally sitting down with some good tunes and a light board to crank out some animation traditionally

Light boards ftw! I just can't get used to all the digital programs...It's so much more straightforward to just draw frames and not have to worry about glitches.

I used to be primarily a traditional artist until I started my animation course at uni 3 years ago and was forced to start learning to use tablets and digital software.

Contrary to popular belief, painting digitally isn't necessarily easier then painting with oils or watercolours. (Unless of course, you cheat, which is very easy to do with digital software).

It is however, quicker, and far more convenient. You don't have to worry about which brushes you have, which colour paints you have, sharping your pencils, getting rubber crumbs everywhere, making sure that you have good lighting (which is impossible in my room) or any other annoying peeves that come along with drawing and painting traditionally. 

That, along with the fact that digital art is very popular now days, and that it's much more industry standard then traditional art, is probably why most MLP art (and fan art in general) is digital.

There are certain challenges that come with traditional art that you have to get better at, but there also challenges that come with digital art that you won't have to deal with when using traditional mediums. 

The same goes for animation (at least, for 2D cell animation). But I've had a lot more experience with digital animation then working with a lightbox, so I might not be the best one to comment on it.

regarding lightbox animation I find it easier to go the traditional route I dont have to worry about stupid things like autosaving,updates or toggling frames...ugh I hate that...I just draw,lightbox,check ink it and scan...cel painting is its own beast and is an artform...due to the digital age its sad to say 2d animation (traditional) is a dying art form.

I'm more of a computer nerd and love doing anything on a computer. If anything I wonder why people draw traditional art. (Don't get me wrong, it still looks good, but I'd rather do it on a computer if given the choice.) 

(Kinda offtopic, can you use a touchscreen computer in lieu of a drawing pad?)

(edited)

regarding lightbox animation I find it easier to go the traditional route I dont have to worry about stupid things like autosaving,updates or toggling frames...ugh I hate that...I just draw,lightbox,check ink it and scan...cel painting is its own beast and is an artform...due to the digital age its sad to say 2d animation (traditional) is a dying art form.

I wanted to try out the light boxes more when I was still at uni, but it just wasn't possible due to time restraints and deadlines. Traditional animation does look very appealing, but the one advantage digital animation has over traditional is that it's much faster. Mostly because you don't have to take a picture of every damn cell you draw.

Also the age-old "flicking vs rolling" debate isn't as relevant.  :P       

Traditional animation is still used quite a bit by independent companies though. Some of the companies I applied for work seem still seem to use light boxes, which is always nice to see. I also know that Gobelins push traditional animation... and, well... they're the best course in the world from what I know

Edited by Hansel

I'm more of a computer nerd and love doing anything on a computer. If anything I wonder why people draw traditional art. (Don't get me wrong, it still looks good, but I'd rather do it on a computer if given the choice.) 

I actually use an asus eee slate as my drawing pad..its a very slim and lightweight tablet with a full computers capabilities

There are some things you can't do with digital; for example, with watercolor, lettiing water spread the pigment and directing it by tilting your board gives an effect and control that digital can't give (for now). In addition, there's the draw of a "one of a kind" piece of art that digital can't give you. If nothing else, it'll sell for a lot more than a print.

I did once see someone attempt to make a digital piece "one of a kind" by printing it out and then deleting all digital files of it. Though, in the end, wouldn't that make it traditional in a way? :umad:

using a regular mouse which is near impossible to use while drawing.

Objection! My avatar was made completly with my mouse, no tracing.

I usually draw stuff on paper, then trace it in Inkscape. If i'm being lazy, i'll just draw something solely in Inkscape.

Ok

Conclusion:

Expensiver but better results

Im more traditional artist

I have deviant art full of mlp:fim art

(Not pc edited)

Go on with the questions i like everyone's opinnion so far c;

-Disordered Child

(edited)

Objection! My avatar was made completly with my mouse, no tracing.

I usually draw stuff on paper, then trace it in Inkscape. If i'm being lazy, i'll just draw something solely in Inkscape.

Pfft, Vectoring doesn't count. It's not tr00 drawing. even a baby can do teh vectoring.

troll-face..png

On a more serious note:

Expensiver but better results

Well, not necessarily. Traditional mediums can give wonderful results. Some of my favorite artists are traditional painters and illustrators.

tumblr_ltwrbcq7rc1qghk7bo1_1280.jpg

scribe.jpg

Noct-Lucere-Lacuna.jpg

535831_10151225046221164_1677458977_n.jp

hr_giger_desktop_1200x808_wallpaper-1791

mc-escher-humanity.jpg

Truth is, if you're gonna spend the time training with traditional mediums, chances are you'll be better at that the digital mediums, and vice versa. It deppends on what you feel more comfortable with. 

Edited by Hansel

img-1689312-4-Noct-Lucere-Lacuna.jpg

THIIIS! I've been looking for this artist for ages! I love this kind of creepy cartoony art. 8D I have her name now, whoohoo! I bought one of her art books years ago but didn't bring it with me when I moved. Thanks! *studies style*

Oh, and, er, to stay on topic...A lot of people say that digital is easier and faster, but I've seen traditional artists zoom through a full pro painting in minutes, then throw it to the side and start on another. It really just takes experience and skill. Traditional artists learn how to control their actions to the point that they don't need a "Ctrl+Z" at all, and that makes them more efficient and more skilled in my opinion.

In addition, some say digital gives you more options, but it's nearly impossible to do mixed media. If you want texture, among other things, you have to fake it. On the other hand, you can glue eggshells onto a painting and you'll legit have texture that you can see and feel. Paintings and other media can also create special effects made by physical depth - something that flat digital art can't make use of.

I haven't ventured into digital artwork. All my pieces are canvas and acrylic paint. I'm more comfortable with and brush, actually. Me + mouse = disaster. And everything kinda has a charming originality about it. 

THIIIS! I've been looking for this artist for ages! I love this kind of creepy cartoony art. 8D I have her name now, whoohoo! I bought one of her art books years ago but didn't bring it with me when I moved. Thanks! *studies style*

Yeah, I've been a fan of Garcia's work for a while now, she's an awesome artist. I have her Alice in Wonderland book, the illustrations are incredible.  ^_^