Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Judge My First Serious Attempt At Art

Marty McFly

Right, so I previously never really seriously tried art before. Well, I just did. I put my all in to it and I need your hardcore critical responses. It's supposed to be Weiss from "RWBY". First image is the official image of her and the second is a couple of mine. (Stupid right eyes, I know)

post-19840-0-88065300-1380134783_thumb.png

post-19840-0-15139200-1380134847_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty McFly
  • Brohoof 3

Well, it takes time to gain a strength in a talent. Keep it up, and you'll be better in no time! I would suggest making the whole thing bigger, and the lines more accurate.

It is bigger, but the iPhone doesn't have a great camera, so I had to back up a little, unfortunately. And, I wanted actual criticism, not just "Keep going". Come on, you know you want to bash my awful skills XD

When i saw this i was all like: post-19005-0-30390800-1380135255.gif

Then i calmed down and was all like: 1349472189209980.gif

"An Excellent Attempt."

good job bro and keep improving biggrin.png

Edited by Subsonic Rainboom
  • Brohoof 1

When i saw this i was all like: attachicon.gifOwlPsy2.gif

Then i calmed down and was all like: 1349472189209980.gif

"An Excellent First."

good job bro and keep improving biggrin.png

Goddammit, that's the second time you got me today with Chef Excellence XD Now I feel like (and secretly hope) he will show up in every thread. I was even photoshopping pictures of Chef Excellence during online classes to stick up at appropriate times. 

• Brohoof 1

Don't bring yourself down like that. But if you want, I'll deliver my opinion. The eyes are out of shape, and don't really match each other. The head also has an odd shape to it. Also, I think you should show more of the neck. Finally if you fix the lines, it will look great! 

Another thing, add the whole body together. Don't put it in separate portions.

Is that what you wanted? 

Edited by Breeze

Do you use the circle thingies? I forget what they're called...

how-to-draw-my-little-pony-friendship-is

Something like that. If you don't, it's best to start using them. It's annoying at first, but you'll get used to it and your art will improve. 

I suggest you look up tutorials on how to draw dem humans, it helps as well.

Don't bring yourself down like that. But if you want, I'll deliver my opinion. The eyes are out of shape, and don't really match each other. The head also has an odd shape to it. Also, I think you should show more of the neck. Finally if you fix the lines, it will look great! 

Another thing, add the whole body together. Don't put it in separate portions.

Is that what you wanted? 

I knew about the eyes (and even commented on them on the paper lol), and I never thought of them as quite... out of shape. Could you elaborate? I mean, the left eye on the largest picture seems okay for anime. I can see what you said about the neck, and I've always struggled with heads. And the lines are hard to fix with pencil and paper :/ Plus, the body was drawn away because I didn't even want to try to connect the largest picture with a body, it'd look stupid because I am still learning bodies. I think you see this as like it's supposed to be like a portrait or something, when I was seeing it as something like concept art so you're just spilling your brain out onto the paper.

But, yes, that's what I wanted. Thanks happy.png

img-1876968-1-how-to-draw-my-little-pony

Something like that. If you don't, it's best to start using them. It's annoying at first, but you'll get used to it and your art will improve. 

I've always tried ponies with circles, but I can never even get the circles correctly in terms of scale and location. I've kinda shunned that tactic ;_;

Edited by Marty McFly
  • Brohoof 1

Goddammit, that's the second time you got me today with Chef Excellence XD Now I feel like (and secretly hope) he will show up in every thread. I was even photoshopping pictures of Chef Excellence during online classes to stick up at appropriate times. 

Together you and i we will make this forum into "An Excelle...post-19005-0-23595400-1380136017.gif NO! XD it was nessecary (by the time you relise this doesnt say anything its to late to stop reading it)

• Brohoof 1

I've always tried ponies with circles, but I can never even get the circles correctly in terms of scale and location. I've kinda shunned that tactic ;_;

Believe me, I was exactly the same when I first started drawing circles. Now I can't do without them. Circles can be used to draw humans as well, you can draw almost any living creature with the help of circles.

I found a website that has tutorials on how to draw manga and anime style. Maybe it'll help.

Edited by LittleRawr

img-1876968-1-how-to-draw-my-little-pony

The circles are referred to as Joints. Obviously. They're always in the spot of joints in legs and arms and anything else. JOINTS MAN, JOINTS.

The circles are referred to as Joints. Obviously. They're always in the spot of joints in legs and arms and anything else. JOINTS MAN, JOINTS.

D:

Dnt killz me plz

I had a brain fart, okay? xD

Ponies People can have brain farts, right?

Maybe I should rename myself to Miss-Derpz-A-Lot derpy_emoticon1.png

D:

Dnt killz me plz

I had a brain fart, okay? xD

Ponies People can have brain farts, right?

Maybe I should rename myself to Miss-Derpz-A-Lot derpy_emoticon1.png

Why in Equestria would I kill you? ohmy.png

Brain farts feel funny KUbAnTY.png

Yes, ponies people can have brain farts derpy_emoticon2.png

Why in the name of Luna would you name yourself that? huh.png

• Brohoof 2

They tickle my brain a little bit :3

Farting brains aside...

I found another site of how to draw in manga style. I've used this one myself a couple of times. 

Your prof pic is SO CUTE! Is it supposed to be an OC or Woona or Luna? I can't tell... But it's just too darn cute wub.png

@@Marty McFly

I can see an obvious line in her hair that's supposed to be her head... It shouldn't be there.

I can see the her right eye is thinner/bigger than her right eye.

Her arms seem to just come down from her torso, no shoulders at all.

Too many lines in her hair.

Her shirt and necklace are both too high.

I'd recommend making her head a bit larger and maybe having hair be bigger.

• Brohoof 1

@@Marty McFly

I can see an obvious line in her hair that's supposed to be her head... It shouldn't be there.

I can see the her right eye is thinner/bigger than her right eye.

Her arms seem to just come down from her torso, no shoulders at all.

Too many lines in her hair.

Her shirt and necklace are both too high.

I'd recommend making her head a bit larger and maybe having hair be bigger.

The first thing, honestly I think that's a nitpick, I mean it was first-time conceptual work lol.

But the rest are the most descriptive criticisms yet. Thanks ^_^ I never would've noticed the shoulders ;_;

Your prof pic is SO CUTE! Is it supposed to be an OC or Woona or Luna? I can't tell... But it's just too darn cute

It's Woona. That's the reason why I chose this picture to be the profile picture vsTALhM.png

@@Marty McFly,

Maybe you should start with only the head-area first, before moving on how to draw the rest of the body? Might be easier. 

The first thing, honestly I think that's a nitpick, I mean it was first-time conceptual work lol.

But the rest are the most descriptive criticisms yet. Thanks happy.png I never would've noticed the shoulders ;_;

A lot of my IRL friends claim that I'm good enough to be a professional Critique... And even if it is your first time, you wanted actual criticsm:

And, I wanted actual criticism, not just "Keep going". Come on, you know you want to bash my awful skills XD

It's Woona. That's the reason why I chose this picture to be the profile picture img-1879791-1-vsTALhM.png

Adowable wittle Woona wub.png

If I were put into the Pony universe, Luna would be my waifu vsTALhM.png

Celestia's cool too, but she's not the one who was on the moon for 1000 years dry.png

• Brohoof 1

I

A lot of my IRL friends claim that I'm good enough to be a professional Critique... And even if it is your first time, you wanted actual criticsm:

Adowable wittle Woona wub.png
If I were put into the Pony universe, Luna would be my waifu vsTALhM.png

Celestia's cool too, but she's not the one who was on the moon for 1000 years dry.png

It's Woona. That's the reason why I chose this picture to be the profile picture img-1879791-1-vsTALhM.png

@@Marty McFly,

Maybe you should start with only the head-area first, before moving on how to draw the rest of the body? Might be easier. 

I've been drawing RWBY chibi stuff for the last half hour.Turns out I'm great with chibis! I'll upload pictures later! Might even start a "Ask Team RWBY" Tumblr where  everything is cute times ten. 

• Brohoof 1

I've been drawing RWBY chibi stuff for the last half hour.Turns out I'm great with chibis! I'll upload pictures later! Might even start a "Ask Team RWBY" Tumblr where  everything is cute times ten. 

Perhaps if you included RD in them they would be 20% cooler after already being 10x cuteness derpy_emoticon2.png

Just an idea, but hey, what do I know? I know a lot actually...

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps if you included RD in them they would be 20% cooler after already being 10x cuteness img-1879850-1-derpy_emoticon2.png

Just an idea, but hey, what do I know? I know a lot actually...

@@Marty McFly,

http://askchibiteamrwby.tumblr.com/

I have dedicated an entire Tumblr to my new-found semi-talent. It'll get better with experience! Hopefully I have time to draw tomorrow!