Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want a collection, within control, tips tips tips?

*Rarity

TLDR: I want to build a collection, but I'm afraid of becomming addicted to collecting. Tips?

Okay, I REALLY want to start collecting ponies, because they are just adorable, and I just feel really happy to watch all of your collections. 

One problem though, is that I feel that I would possibly "never be satisfied" with it, and just keep buying untl I become like this woman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3rK2DQrSY

No offense to her, as I said, I like watching all of your collections, and I become happy by it (she just earned another subscriber, that's for sure) - but I don't want to fill my house with them myself, I would regret the money I spent on it, and I would hate to throw them away (which I would probably have to if I got so many).

If I was 40, I could think, yeah, I have a room where I can place all of my collections, no problem! But I'm 16, I live at home, and say in 10 years, I get a wife, and she doesn't like MLP? Well, damn. I wouldn't throw them away, but it would sure be REALLY easier if I just had a few. And even if she did like MLP, I would have storage problems anyway.

So, do you have any tips for me? Any suitable/resonable collection size (goal)?

Oh yeah, please share your own aswell, I don't mean your collection, we have a thread for that, but I mean your IDEAL collection, is yours too big, is it too small?... do you buy ponies all the time... etc.

An affordable thing to get addicted to would obviously be the blind bags. But if I get addicted to that intentionally, I would have to limit myself to like, one bag every month, or maybe less than that, after I built up a reasonable collection... I'm laughing at myself now, for this is kind of silly - atleast to me it is, I've never collected anything like this before! Except steam games... uh, don't want to talk about it. That's something I certainly stopped spending so much on, but I had a wave where I literally spent all the money i could get on more steam games, which wasn't very good... It's good now, and luckily all those games doesn't take any place, since they're all stored digitally.

I found the "blind bags" to be VERY awesome, since I can get those at the supermarket, and they are really cheap, and so many to collect... and so small! But I would also maybe want atleast one plushie... and... Damn it, I'm starting already... I see it as a very likely thing, that I could end up wtih a quadrillion ponies which I spend thousands of dollars on.

Oh and please don't tell me there is a thread like this already... That would be, annoying.

EDIT: The reason for my worry is as mentioned, I know that I could very easily do that personally. I got addicted to buying steam games, that just took one sale and I spent so much money I don't even want to look at the reciepts anymore... It's just embarrasing how much I spent in such a short amount of time.
Thank you everypony! wub.png

Edited by Flottershy
  • Brohoof 1

Perhaps you should start out with maybe a few bags, and perhaps one or two plushies, and maybea few vinyl figures. I personally don't have any pony merch, but once my job kicks in, I'm gonna go buck wild.

My dream collection will all fit into one romm of my house. I'll have a room 100% dedicated to MLP:FiM. I'll have Vinyl Figures, Plushies, Bags, Flags, Clothing... The whole lot! All-in-all the whole room would probably be worth like $300,000... BUT IT WOULD BE WORTH IT wub.png

I would suggest picking a certain type of Ponies to collect.  For example, I too have had problems in the past with never being satisfied with my collection.  So what i've decided to do with MLP is that I would only collect one specific line of Merch at a time.  ATM i'm trying to buy the FUNKO POP Vinyl figures.  I also buy the card but other than that, nothing really else.  I've bought one blind bag pony, and one Fash'Em pony, but I don't intend to buy anymore of those.  So I suggest picking a certain line of figures or merch and what not, and sticking with that.  Of course I'm not saying you should stop after you have all of one line, expand a bit but don't go crazy.  I have a huge 5 shelf holder thingy with all my stuff, and I plan to fill one shelf with MLP stuff, and the rest with other things.  So I think that setting a desired place to put you MLP Merch is a good idea as well, that way you don't expand outside those boarders.  Anyway, hope that helps.  Also sorry for not spacing things out.

I strongly recommend the blind bags. Being small, they're easy to display, low maintenance and don't take up too much room so they don't cause clutter. They're also among the cheapest, yet highly detailed, merch. They also come with high resale value, so if you ever need to weed out a collection, just sell them off smile.png

A good way to keep it under control is to collect only certain ponies. For instance, I collect only characters who actually appear in the show, thus ruling out a lot of the HasbrOC ponies. But find whatever works for you ^^ Maybe only pick your favourite ponies?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe it's best to collect only what you really like?

I like Princess Luna and Twilight, so I would collect blind bags/toys of them.

Just a suggestion, though.

Yeah, this is kind of really hard to do, I like all of the ponies almost equally, if I have to pick a favorite, it's Fluttershy, but I really hate to make a list, because then someone gets last, and I love everypony! I found a REALLY CUTE applejack plushie on ebay, which I will definately get, but after that I got the dilemma of the other ponies... Other plushies? nope, couldn't find any good ones. Vinyl figures? Oh yes they are adorable, but they cost way too much.

I think I'll have to live on mostly blind bag figures.

I strongly recommend the blind bags. Being small, they're easy to display, low maintenance and don't take up too much room so they don't cause clutter. They're also among the cheapest, yet highly detailed, merch. They also come with high resale value, so if you ever need to weed out a collection, just sell them off img-1914042-1-smile.png

A good way to keep it under control is to collect only certain ponies. For instance, I collect only characters who actually appear in the show, thus ruling out a lot of the HasbrOC ponies. But find whatever works for you ^^ Maybe only pick your favourite ponies?

Yeah I really like the blindbags aswell, problem is that they seem to always be out of stock in the local Toys'R'Us, I'll cal them tomorrow and ask when they get in another batch. I don't want to order them online, since I'd want to check the letters on the front to make sure I don't get dupes/and only get the ones I want. Of course, I could order them, and then return the ones that I don't want... I'll do that as a emergency solve, if that's the only possible way... AAH I WANT IT ALL BUT I AM TOO RATIONAL TO BUY EVERYTHING! 

Okay, okay. Calm down me, you can get the applejack and some blindbags, and how about some t-shirts? yes, that sounds good, t-shirts will be no rush with, there will always be plenty of those, and I love t-shirts... Phew. Well, tomorrow I'll order that Applejack plushie.

EDIT: Okay, I REALLY love these blindbag ponies... Not feeling any need to get those vinyl, expensive ones when I can get these... Oh crap so cute! So cheap! AAAAAW.... Some of the main 6 look a bit weird in neon, but they all look cute anyway... Wallet is happy.

Edited by Flottershy

Well I think the self control of buying has to come from you: if you think you’d be over doing it buying that toy then don’t buy it. I can’t speak from expirince though, I have a big collection of pony stuff

Very simple way to limit the size of your collection is to have no money... I really want a moderately large collection but have no money to get anything... So frowny face there... I mostly depend on other people to get me stuff since I don't have a job.

(edited)

Very simple way to limit the size of your collection is to have no money... I really want a moderately large collection but have no money to get anything... So frowny face there... I mostly depend on other people to get me stuff since I don't have a job.

Haha... Well that sure is one simple way of solving things. Unfortunately I'm a cheap ass in all ways, and I have a lot of money... Spending it all would take some time, and I would really hate doing so aswell. I don't like spending too much money on one area in a short amount of time, because I would most likely buy first think afterwards that way, or so it feels...

Thanks for the tips everypony, and keep talking if you want to, I always like writing and reading and all! :)

Edited by Flottershy