movies/tv Foreign Films

Away

What foreign (as in foreign to the U.S.) films do you like and recommend? And if you do recommend a film, could you also give a basic (non-spoiler) summary of what it's about? :3

I recently saw 'The Kid With A Bike' and I loved it.

Try to avoid only talking about anime lol

Films that have been recommended

The Kid With A Bike

Persepolis

Chicken With Plums

Seven Samurai

Zatoichi film series

The Way Back

Ikiru

Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior

Kung Fu Hustle

The Lives Of Others

La Grande Bellezza

Un Chien Andalou

Battle Royale

Edited by LatinoChurro
  • Brohoof 3

Well, since you said avoid anime, is it okay to talk about non-anime foreign films? If so, then Persepolis is a gem. Really powerful film. A must that should be watched in the original French (though Iggy Pop is in the English dub). I think it's a film everypony should watch.

• Brohoof 2

Well, since you said avoid anime, is it okay to talk about non-anime foreign films? If so, then Persepolis is a gem. Really powerful film. A must that should be watched in the original French (though Iggy Pop is in the English dub). I think it's a film everypony should watch.

Well, I said to try to avoid JUST talking about anime lol. I don't want this to turn into another anime thread xD. And thanks. I'll try to check it out. Without spoiling it, do you think you could say what it's about?

Well, I said to try to avoid JUST talking about anime lol. I don't want this to turn into another anime thread xD. And thanks. I'll try to check it out. Without spoiling it, do you think you could say what it's about?

I'll do my best to spare you the total details of the story.

The film is the film adaptation of the author's autobiographical graphic novel. It chronicles her life in Iran from the age of ten onward. It deals with her life in pre-revolution Iran and then her life in the new Iran. It's a real wonderful film.

She also wrote another comic called Chicken With Plums (which was adapted in a live-action film in French), which was also very brilliant.

When I heard about Seven Samurai, I decided to give it a chance and it was worth it. :)

A brilliant film. And speaking of samurai films, how about Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman? An amazing set of films.

• Brohoof 1

I'll do my best to spare you the total details of the story.

The film is the film adaptation of the author's autobiographical graphic novel. It chronicles her life in Iran from the age of ten onward. It deals with her life in pre-revolution Iran and then her life in the new Iran. It's a real wonderful film.

She also wrote another comic called Chicken With Plums (which was adapted in a live-action film in French), which was also very brilliant.

Wow, I'm really interested now. It sounds like it could be quite touching. And I'll be sure to take a look at 'Chicken With Plums' too. What's that one about?

When I heard about Seven Samurai, I decided to give it a chance and it was worth it. :)

Sounds cool. I'm guessing it's about the samurai :3

Edited by LatinoChurro

Sounds cool. I'm guessing it's about the samurai :3

Close enough. It's about seven samurais who combat bandits. :3 I won't say the rest. :P

Indeed. And I found it by random and watched it. Was not disappointed.

Neither was I, totally worth it!

• Brohoof 1

Wow, I'm really interested now. It sounds like it could be quite touching. And I'll be sure to take a look at 'Chicken With Plums' too. What's that one about?

It's actually about a relative of the creator (Marjane Satrapi, same as Persepolis) who was a superb musician who could not marry the woman he wished because her father refused. Throughout his life, he continues to play, gets married, and has children, but still remembers the woman he loved before. So with his mind set on death, he takes up a unique way to kill himself (which leads him to reflect on his life in a very unique way). It's a very unique film. I can't really describe it in words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_with_Plums_(film)

• Brohoof 1

Close enough. It's about seven samurais who combat bandits. :3 I won't say the rest. :P

Alright lol. Thanks. :) I just got a Netflix account so I'm pretty excited to check out some films XD

It's actually about a relative of the creator (Marjane Satrapi, same as Persepolis) who was a superb musician who could not marry the woman he wished because her father refused. Throughout his life, he continues to play, gets married, and has children, but still remembers the woman he loved before. So with his mind set on death, he takes up a unique way to kill himself (which leads him to reflect on his life in a very unique way). It's a very unique film. I can't really describe it in words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_with_Plums_(film)

Wow. It sure does sound unique. I'll try to find that one too. XD Thanks :D

Wow. It sure does sound unique. I'll try to find that one too. XD Thanks :D

It will be hard to find, I warn you (I saw it in theaters at an indie cinema, it was worth the two hour drive to see it), but I consider it one of the best adaptations I've seen in a long, long time.

Oh, and since you got a Netflix account, how do you feel about historical films? There was one I watched for a history paper that was really genius.

It will be hard to find, I warn you (I saw it in theaters at an indie cinema, it was worth the two hour drive to see it), but I consider it one of the best adaptations I've seen in a long, long time.

Oh, and since you got a Netflix account, how do you feel about historical films? There was one I watched for a history paper that was really genius.

I'll try my best to find it xD. And I'm fine with historical films and documentaries in general. If you're gonna mention one here though, just make sure it's a foreign film (that is, after all, the point of this thread lol) :P

I'll try my best to find it xD. And I'm fine with historical films and documentaries in general. If you're gonna mention one here though, just make sure it's a foreign film (that is, after all, the point of this thread lol) :P

Well, it is an Australian directed film with British and Irish actors. Does that count?

Edited by CloserToTheSun

Lol I guess so. What's this one about about?

Well, a lot of it is in the correct languages for the locations (mostly)

A Polish POW is interrogated by the Soviets during World War II and since they can't get him to admit he's a spy, they send him off to a gulag in Siberia for 20 years. While there, he finds a few inmates with whom he plans to escape with. While they manage to escape, they realize they had made a mistake with their plan (in escaping, realizing they were better off in the labor camp than the wild). They plan to walk straight south and make it to India. I don't want to spoil too much, but here's the wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_Back  (careful, there are spoilers on there)

It was a great film and it was a great reference for my Cold War paper about the gulags.

Edited by CloserToTheSun

Well, a lot of it is in the correct languages for the locations (mostly)

A Polish POW is interrogated by the Soviets during World War II and since they can't get him to admit he's a spy, they send him off to a gulag in Siberia for 20 years. While there, he finds a few inmates with whom he plans to escape with. While they manage to escape, they realize they had made a mistake with their plan (in escaping, realizing they were better off in the labor camp than the wild). They plan to walk straight south and make it to India. I don't want to spoil too much, but here's the wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_Back  (careful, there are spoilers on there)

It was a great film and it was a great reference for my Cold War paper about the gulags.

Cool. It definitely sounds like something I'll like. Thanks again. :)

Seven Samurai

/thread. Amazing film, right there.

Also, in case you're hungering for more Kurosawa but you're not in the mood for watching samurai, check out Ikiru. An incredibly poignant film about an aging bureaucrat dealing with a terminal illness. One of my favorites.

Edited by Blackbird Braille
  • Brohoof 2

/thread. Amazing film, right there.

Also, in case you're hungering for more Kurosawa but you're not in the mood for watching samurai, check out Ikiru. An incredibly poignant film about an aging bureaucrat dealing with a terminal illness. One of my favorites.

Hmm, I'll take your word for it I'll give it a shot. :)

• Brohoof 1

Of course. I also have plenty of other films to share if you wish to know.

Sure! List them all right here. :D I can't be the only one who's looking for more foreign movies to watch lol

Sure! List them all right here. :D I can't be the only one who's looking for more foreign movies to watch lol

Alright. Um, if you like martial art films, I highly suggest Ong Bak and the following films. It's just stupid crazy, violent, and hilarious (whether it is trying to be or not).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong-Bak:_Muay_Thai_Warrior

• Brohoof 1