Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Silverwisp does math concerning Spike's age

Silverwisp the Bard

I’m doing this math step by step, mostly so I so I got this post handy to link people to. Of course there is a certain amount of guesswork involved, but I think this is a pretty good approximation.

Some ground laying first:

-we’ll assume that ponies life and age at about the same rate as humans (“Cadence’s” comment about Pinkie’s party activities, plus it tends to be the default for cartoons)

-we’ll assume that the Mane Six are adults and relatively close in age

-we’ll assume that Twilight was 20 years old when she moved to Ponyville (TS=20)

-we’ll assume that during S1 the CMC were eight years old (C=8)

Spike was hatched by Twilight at the day the Mane Six got their cutiemark, so logically Spike’s age (S) equals Twilight’s age (TS) minus Twilight’s age at that point in time (TSP).

To do that we’ll first do some guess work on the Mane Six’s age. I think it’s fair to assume that Applejack (mentioned that she was late to get her cutiemark) and Rarity (owns a brand that is clearly already an established name in the business) are a bit older than the others with Fluttershy somewhere in the middle and Pinkie (confirmed to be younger than Fluttershy, only Mane Six not to have her own place) and Rainbow Dash (mentioned that she got her cutiemark relatively early) bringing up the rear. For now we’ll assume that Applejack and Rarity are both 3 years older than Twilight (R=AJ=TS+3=23).

The last bit of information we’ll use is that in “Cutie Mark Chronicles” Applejack mentioned that she received her cutiemark when she was younger than the CMC (AJP<C). Let’s make that one year younger (AJP=7).

So, let’s get cracking, shall we?

S=TS-TSP

S=TS-(AJP-3)

S=TS-AJP+3

S=20-7+3

S=16

Again, this is based on what I consider to be realistic ages for the various characters; your opinion may vary.

And for those who are curious, this would put Spike at seven years younger than Rarity. A large chunk at that age to be sure, but ,in my humble opinion, not a dealbreaker and certainly not enough to make a relationship somehow immoral.

I'll happily discuss any part of this.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

Assuming that correct, and assuming dragons have really long life-spans that could me he's chronologically that age, but much younger mentally and physically due to dragons aging slower. We also have seen teenage dragons, and seen that they were obviously older than Spike.

For all intensive purposes, I'd say he's about 10-12 when gauged by our standards of mental and physical development.    

Edited by Shoboni

Seems logical, but I would say the CMCs are a bit older. I've been writing them as around 13 ish (since I consider getting your cutie mark as more or less puberty). I still see Spike being 16. But your math does check out other than that little tid-bit from me.

• Brohoof 1

While I support Spike being a (rather young) teenager in canon - And sixteen is even better! - I have one thing that seems odd to me here: According to this, Twilight was just four years old when she got her cutie mark, right? Seems a bit young to take an entrance exam for a school.

what are these assumptions based off of?

Guesswork by yous truly. Remember that Twilight was a student at what we can assume to be a university.

For all intensive purposes, I'd say he's about 10-12 when gauged by our standards of mental and physical development.

Well, that's where it's starting to get (even more) theoretical. By any rights, Spike shoud have entered puberty ralready (Secret of my Excess). As for his mind, S1-2 Spike (which to me is the standard for the character to be measured) acts like a teenager and has a skillset that would exceed that of a a child.

While I support Spike being a (rather young) teenager in canon - And sixteen is even better! - I have one thing that seems odd to me here: According to this, Twilight was just four years old when she got her cutie mark, right? Seems a bit young to take an entrance exam for a school.

This was a real tossup for me, but since we know Twilight to be the adorkable little Prodigy that she is, I think its a fair assessment (give or take a year).

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

...spike as 16?

That would be one dorky 16 year old ^^.

I think spike is equivalently 10-12,

and we're all assuming(including myself)

dragons live longer.

I believe that to, but it's never been established in mlp.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that's where it's starting to get (even more) theoretical. By any rights, Spike shoud have entered puberty ralready (Secret of my Excess). As for his mind, S1-2 Spike (which to me is the standard 

You'd be amazed, I had forgotten how resourceful I was at 12 until things really made me start thinking back to that time in my life. 

well i went to this website: http://easycalculation.com/other/fun/Horse-years-to-Human-years.html

and in equestria girls they were in highschool so in horse years the ponies were only about 5 and 1/2. Also in equestria girls spike was a dog so he probably has the same age thingy as dogs so he is probably only about 1 year old

Edited by LazerFlash

Well, that's one of my biggest gripes about Equestria Girls: The (pony) Mane Six are clearly older than highschool girls.

Well, just remember who all of this is originally marketed towards....