Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rookie at it's Finest

notaphillyated

I'm very new here, but I've been glued to my computer ever since I joined. I have a burning passion to join the masses of talented artists here, especially the singers

The only problem is that I lack the professional equipment to put my voice out there for people to hear :c

If anyone has any tips of any sort for a starting point, or even where you started, they would be much appreciated! Even a small start is better than no start at all. :)

(edited)

- Audacity is free and strong enough as a vocal processor. Apparently the latest version even has plugins like EQ and compressors which you can learn to use. Download it.

- Cheap professional quality microphone you could try is the Shure SM57. It's designed as a snare mic and voices aren't typically bombastic on it, but it's nearly impossible to destroy, cheap, and it captures vocals well enough (more than once in a recording session a Shure on the instrumentalists was fine for backup vocals).

- Research and follow up. Look into everything concerning music, Google guides to the genres you like. Every term you don't know, look that up. Experiment with everything you learn. You'll slowly get a grasp of how music works.

- Develop your ears. Listen a ton to the voices and styles you want to emulate, determine what the quality of their sound is specifically like. Then strive to emulate it. Then put your own spin on it once you've mastered the copying part.

And welcome to the world of music, baby. You haven't picked an easy hobby, or a cheap one, but it's so worth it if you love it.

Edited by Fluttershyvana
  • Brohoof 1

People like you, make me love this place!

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep this all in mind, especially a decent mic to start off with c:

I have a bass-baritone voice, high notes aren't my thing at all. So I guess knowing my limits is a start.

• Brohoof 1

Oh. Allow me with my four years of choir experience to say something about that. Vocal exercises. Play basic chords (if you know them) up and down a scale, sing words and sentences, tounge twisters. Focus on annunciation, make sure you have a variety of syllables, vowels, consonants, and different combinations of those syllables. Push yourself as far as you can go up, as far as you can go down. Learn to use your falsetto. Learn to sing in a relaxed manner. And ask me if you need me to clarify any of those ideas.

• Brohoof 1

@Thunder-Dash

Noted, I'll have to look into these programs for sure c:

Also, once you sign up for finale's commuinity (which enables you to get Finale Notepad 2012), Finale will start sending you emails to upgrade to a better Finale program. Finale actually does have recording capabilities. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here.

Edited by NONAME
  • Brohoof 1

I'm only 16, but I've got spare time to job search over this March Break. So saving money for this kinda stuff will be a top priority on my list :)

Anyone got sites/store references as to where they bought their equipment?