Fluttershy: The Empress

Applejack: Strength

Celestia: Temperance

Luna: The Moon (what are the odds?)

Discord: The Tower

Sweetie Belle: The Fool

Apple Bloom: Death

Scootaloo: Wheel of Fortune

The Star is the eighteenth card in the Major Arcana, and is given the number 17 to indicate the conscious mind represented by the Magician (1) opening up to the many directions possible with the control over his Chariot (7). Below one giant yellow star (1), and seven smaller white stars (7), a beautiful woman kneels with one knee on land and one foot on the water. With a jug in each hand, she pours water into both. She is taking inspiration from her creative, intuitive side (water), applying it to her surroundings and daily life (earth), and using the power it gives her to replenish the source of her creativity (water), making a complete cycle. In essence, she is healing herself with water, the source of all life. Her nakedness is symbolic of her purity and honesty, to others as well as to herself. She is in her most natural state, indicating that her task comes with ease, and her calm, serene expression gives her work a meditative quality.

That's sounds pretty spot on for Rarity.

The Chariot is the eighth card in the Major Arcana, and is given the number 7, whose Qaballistic significance is victory. The number seven is also commonly associated with good luck. An armored man stands in an elaborate chariot, drawn by two sphinxes. One black, one white, they symbolize the positive and negative forces the charioteer has learned to balance and integrate. Above his head, a canopy of stars, indicating his travels beyond the mundane world. The crescent moons on his shoulders—one smiling, one frowning—denote that he has done the same with the gamut of his emotions. His armor shows that he is ready for physical challenges and his sceptre symbolizes his status and control.

The Chariot denotes victory over the extremes in your life through balance, self-control, and the enforcement of your True Will. It can indicate success in the battle against old patterns and vices. By grounding and centering yourself, you can get a handle on your situation. Mentally take the reins. Utilizing the power of your mind, you can chart the course to your goals.

I can see the connection there with Rainbow Dash.

The Empress is the fourth card in the Major Arcana, and is given the number three to signify many forms of fertility, including the reproduction that comes from human partnership. She, like the planet Venus whose symbol adorns her, rules love. The gentleness and emotional sides of motherhood are her domain. Growth is embodied in the fields of grain beneath her feet. The grain sustains and supports human life. The Empress is, in this way, an expression of mother Earth. In some instances, she can indicate a pending marriage, or herald the arrival of motherhood.

Sounds like Fluttershy

Strength is the ninth card in the Major Arcana, and is given the number eight, which is a number of great good fortune in Eastern traditions. This card is often associated with the Zodiac sign Leo, which is ruled by the Sun, and eight is the number of solar festivals celebrated by many Earth-centered religions. A gentle looking woman, robed in white for purity, cradles a fierce lion’s head in her tender hands. She appears to be soothing the beast, closing its japing jaws. The red lion symbolizes anger, rage, and violence. The symbol over the woman’s head is the sign of infinity, reminiscent of a halo, and denotes her spirituality and her enlightened mind. You may imagine the two figures on the card as the two sides of yourself: the woman is your superego, and the lion is your id.

The Strength card encourages you to get control over your anger through an understanding of where it comes from. This card can indicate a need to change your approach to difficulties and issues with others as well. By seeking first to understand and accept the more negative aspects of yourself and others, your situation can be managed more effectively, and with more beneficial results for everyone involved.

For Applejack this is a little iffy...

The Tower is the seventeenth card in the Major Arcana, and is given the number 16 to indicate the conscious mind represented by the Magician (1) faced with the breakdown of the unity found in the Lovers (6). Atop a craggy peak, the once-crowned Tower begins to crumble. Fire and Lightning ravage it from within and without. Two people, calling to mind the man and woman in the Lovers card (but clothed, indicating concealment), plunge to an uncertain fate, as flames erupt from the explosion. The destruction is devastating, but there is a purpose behind it. The walls of the Tower have been constructed by the materialistic Ego, and the force of chaos has come to tear them down in the name of spiritual development. The small, tear-shaped flames are symbolic because they resemble YOD, the first letter in the Hebrew name for God. They represent the spark of enlightenment that will brighten even the darkest hour.

I guess so...thematically I think the Devil fits better, but sure, why not.

The Wheel of Fortune is the eleventh card in the Major Arcana, and is given the number ten, which corresponds to the number of sephiroth in the Tree of Life. The Wheel spins in the midway point of the Major Arcana, indicating a crucial turning point. It is a metaphor for Karma, Fate, and Destiny. The creatures pictured in the corners of the card symbolize the elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, just as the Pentacles, Swords, Wands, and Cups of the Tarot do. The letters on the great Wheel can be arranged to form many different words that each have meaning: ROTA, the Latin word meaning wheel; ORAT, the Latin word meaning speaks; TARO, the phonetic pronunciation of Tarot, TORA, the Hebrew holy book and the word seen on the scroll of the High Priestess; and ATOR, thought to be another name for Hathor, an Egyptian Goddess. The snake on the Wheel has long been associated with evil, but is also an important symbol of transformation. The jackal-headed man is a representation of Anubis, an Egyptian God who is the guardian of the Underworld. The sphinx is attributed to Horus, associated with resurrection. In these three figures, the Wheel’s course of life, death, and rebirth is embodied. Only when you step back from the daily events in your life can you see the greater patterns—the Wheel itself in motion.

The Wheel of Fortune indicates situations in your life that are coming to a close, as well as new opportunities coming to replace them. Major life decisions and milestones are coming, and some have just passed. Things you set in motion some time ago are beginning to bear fruit. Seeds you plant now will be sprouting when the Wheel comes full circle again. When you step back and examine the cause and effect of your present situation, you can adjust your actions accordingly to produce a better outcome.

I just don't see this for Scootaloo....

[edit: Unless this has something to do with her disability, but I think it's stretching it.]

Edited by KelGrym
  • Brohoof 2

I'd rather say:

Celestia: The Sun (isn't it the obvious choice?)

Luna: The Moon (for sure)

Pinkie Pie: The Fool.

I assigned The Fool to Pinkie Pie, because The Fool represents someone who is naïve, careless, light-hearted etc. Someone who follow the maxim that "Ignorance is bliss". Note however, that The Fool doesn't mean someone stupid. It's rather someone who doesn't care much about the troubles going around him/her, and is always optimistic about everything. For me this is a perfect description of Pinkie Pie.

259865__UNOPT__safe_apple-bloom_reaction

Can you justify them somehow?

Apple Bloom is Death because Death is a card representing transitions. Oddly enough, "death" rarely represents "death". (Blame weird mystic people) Apple Bloom's main focus seems to be her cutie mark (seemingly a bit more than the other CMC, too) and generally passing from childhood to adulthood.

Rarity: The Star - The star can represent inspiration. Odd fact: Originally Rarity was going to be the element of inspiration.

Rainbow Dash: The Chariot - The Chariot represents determination and victory.

Fluttershy: The Empress - The Empress has a connection to nature and is represents nurturing and caring and general "femininity".

Applejack: Strength -Strength represents determination and resolve, but also compassion.

Discord: The Tower -The Tower represents disaster, best laid plans going wrong, the fall after pride.

Scootaloo: Wheel of Fortune - Similar to Death, this is another card about change, so cutie marks. It also represents good fortune.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Andaasonsan,

Okay, well if you put it that way it makes sense. In a broad generalized sort of way. Interpretations, I guess. I can roll with it.

And boy golly!

I'm glad Lauren Faust didn't make Rarity the element of Inspiration! (known about that fact for while)

If she did then my model of synchronization between the four core elements [Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity] with the four classical elements would have flopped on its head.

[edit: Now I just need to think of a way to incorporate the tarot into it.]

Edited by KelGrym

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Oh well, I widely prefer this! :muffins:

To be a little more poetic, the fool represents the great uncarved block which has all the potential in the universe to become anything and everything.

[edit: I just don't like Trixie being the magician...]

Edited by KelGrym
  • Brohoof 1