Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An epiphany

Graveyard Duck

(edited)

So, I've been playing way too much Persona 4 lately, and started thinking about crazy crossovers with different universes using the game's social system. Suddenly, I made this realization:

5lxo54.jpg

Celestia and Luna are The Sun and The Moon, respectively, of course. Twilight is The Magician. And Cadance is The Lovers.

Mitch, I'm onto you.

Edit: I'm not saying they reflect the personalities that the arcana represent, like the characters in Persona tend to, just that they are based on them thematically. Also, it's 4 AM here and I may not be entirely sane right now.

Edited by Graveyard Duck
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I just googled Major Arcana because I have unfortunately not heard of it. Is it some form of card game?

That guy reminds me of BBC's Sherlock. So I will respond to your meme accordingly :P.

tumblr_inline_n0fkugKtZe1qbygev.gif

Edited by Scoots and Dash

I just googled Major Arcana because I have unfortunately not heard of it. Is it some form of card game?

The Major Arcana is part of the set of cards making up a tarot deck (cards traditionally used for fortune telling).

• Brohoof 3

The Major Arcana is part of the set of cards making up a tarot deck (cards traditionally used for fortune telling).

Thank's for the information. I really appreciate it :P.

*Google*

For some reasons, I'd rather see Twilight as The Star than The Magician.

Starswirl is The Magician. :P

Yeah, that could work too. Especially if they ever make Princess Trixie; she would definitely be The Magician. :P

(edited)

Nope, Twilight is the Magician. Thumbnails attached:

Twilight_levitating_the_animals_for_the_

Notice the "infinity" lemniscate shape made of levitating animals above Twilight? It appears twice in that episode ("Magic Duel"): at the beginning, and at the end. And these scenes are quite long, so they seem important and being put there on purpose.

Here's "The Magician" Tarot card for comparison:

1-Magician.jpg

The lemniscate nearly always appears on this card, as a symbol of mastering the entirety of Magic, by combining all four Greek elements (water, fire, earth, air, symbolized by the artifacts on that table) together.

Didn't I mention it in my symbolism thread somewhere yet? Strange...

Edit: Seems like I did (see at the bottom of that post).

But your observation is also valuable. Seems like the pattern is deeper than I thought.

Also, I'm curious if these four groups for ponies in the first picture could be somehow related to the Greek elements: there are Earth Ponies (Earth), Pegasi (Air), Unicorns (Water? it is a bit related to Magic; or is it Fire?), and Aliconrs (with some guest Saddle Arabian horses) (Fire perhaps? or Water).

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 8

(edited)

Nope, Twilight is the Magician. Thumbnails attached:

img-2589519-1-Twilight_levitating_the_an

Notice the "infinity" lemniscate shape made of levitating animals above Twilight? It appears twice in that episode ("Magic Duel"): at the beginning, and at the end. And these scenes are quite long, so they seem important and being put there on purpose.

Here's "The Magician" Tarot card for comparison:

img-2589519-2-1-Magician.jpg

The lemniscate nearly always appears on this card, as a symbol of mastering the entirety of Magic, by combining all four Greek elements (water, fire, earth, air, symbolized by the artifacts on that table) together.

Didn't I mention it in my symbolism thread somewhere yet? Strange...

Edit: Seems like I did (see at the bottom of that post).

But your observation is also valuable. Seems like the pattern is deeper than I thought.

Also, I'm curious if these four groups for ponies in the first picture could be somehow related to the Greek elements: there are Earth Ponies (Earth), Pegasi (Air), Unicorns (Water? it is a bit related to Magic; or is it Fire?), and Aliconrs (with some guest Saddle Arabian horses) (Fire perhaps? or Water).

I can't believe I never noticed that! (I guess it might have to do with the fact that I'm pretty lukewarm towards S3 in general...) The imagery is pretty telling, but The Magician is supposed to be affiliated more with being a charlatan than a true mage (he used to be called "The Mountebank", or swindler) so Trixie might be a better fit in terms of personality-

Wait. The resolution of Magic Duel was that Twilight used deception and trickery, instead of actual magic, to defeat Trixie!

Egoraptor_mind_blown.gif

Who wrote Magic Duel again? *googles* Larson. *engages tinfoil hat mode*

Edited by Graveyard Duck
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

Actually tarot cards were originally used to play card games, most commonly French Tarot or Italian Tarocchini, in much the same way as modern card decks are used today. They number usually around 78 and have four suits: Cups, Coins (or pentacles), Swords and Staves/Wands. In each suit there are pip cards numbering 1 to 10 (no ace as such) and four face cards: Knave, Knight, Queen and King. There are then 21 trump cards, or the Major Arcana, which are the Fool, the Hanged Man, Justice, Death etc. which everyone knows as the divination set (but the entire 78 card deck is actually traditionally used for divination, not just the trump deck). Using the Tarot deck for divination only started in the early to mid 16th century and the cards evolved into modern card decks by dropping the knight and the Major Arcana along with changing the knave to a jack and renaming the suits Spades, Clubs, Hearts and Diamonds.

I hate to sound like I'm correcting but I thought I'd just give a little background to the Tarot deck.

Edit: 22 cards in the Major Arcana: 21 trump cards plus the fool, sorry.

Edited by Taviscratch
  • Brohoof 6

This is what I got so far:

Pinkie Pie: The Sun

Twilight Sparkle: The Magician

Rarity: The Star

Rainbow Dash: The Chariot

Fluttershy: The Empress

Applejack: Strength

Celestia: Temperance

Luna: The Moon (what are the odds?)

Discord: The Tower

Sweetie Belle: The Fool

Apple Bloom: Death

Scootaloo: Wheel of Fortune

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have to agree with Andaasonsan. Despite Celestia is the princess of the Sun, her tarot card is not related to Sun at all. Pinkie suits the Sun, since she's always happy and such. Celestia does resemble Temperance.

Let's see. Assuming the mentioned above is true, then what's left is:

The High Priestess

The Empress

The Emperor

The Hierophant

The Lovers

The Justice

The Hermit

The Hanged Man

The Devil

Judgement

The World

The Question is, who fits the bill?  :P

Edited by TheShyPony
  • Brohoof 1

Very interesting theory.
Even though I never was interested in tarot at all I very like such theories.
But I thinks that most of this is rather a coincidence, a very interesting coincidence.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is what I got so far:

Pinkie Pie: The Sun

[...]

Celestia: Temperance

Luna: The Moon (what are the odds?)

I'd rather say:

Celestia: The Sun (isn't it the obvious choice?)

Luna: The Moon (for sure)

Pinkie Pie: The Fool.

I assigned The Fool to Pinkie Pie, because The Fool represents someone who is naïve, careless, light-hearted etc. Someone who follow the maxim that "Ignorance is bliss". Note however, that The Fool doesn't mean someone stupid. It's rather someone who doesn't care much about the troubles going around him/her, and is always optimistic about everything. For me this is a perfect description of Pinkie Pie.

Apple Bloom: Death

259865__UNOPT__safe_apple-bloom_reaction

Rarity: The Star

Rainbow Dash: The Chariot

Fluttershy: The Empress

Applejack: Strength

Discord: The Tower

Scootaloo: Wheel of Fortune

Can you justify them somehow?

Edited by SasQ

I'm not really surprised by this. It's been suggested to me before by someone on fimfiction that there was a connection between the tarot and ponies but I never really looked into it.

I should have! I had all the damn pecies, it was practically handed to me on a silver platter, then I forgot about it!

Then you pieced it together...

So_Jealous_by_xbooshbabyx.jpg

Pictured: Me right now.

I always recognized the Sun/Moon yingyang dichotomy of Celestia and Luna, and always thought of Twilight best represented by the magician, but Cadence being represented by the lovers completely flew over my head.

And it's like...duh, now.

homer-3.jpeg

Still though it makes you think...holy cosmic coincidences batman! If this shit wasn't intentional, just...damn.

So yeah, kudos and many thanks for bringing this to my gold fish sized attention span.

Now...

I have everything I need to build my pony based religion and subvert America to my will!

mine_is_an_evil_laugh_by_fongsaunder-d5r

Bow down to the Fool and taste Irony!

• Brohoof 1