Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Think I Just Filled In EQG's Major Plot Holes....

Sir Wulfington

(edited)

I'll say this before I start, I get the feeling that the writers themselves didn't think this through, and that I'm only luckily able to cover up these holes for them.

Anyway, these plot holes will adress:

-How Sunset knew about what the element of harmony would do in another world and how she knew where to find it

- why the element of magic turned her into a demon and gave her powers

- why she though an army of teenagers would help her take over Equestria

- why the elements of harmony worked at the end when only the element of magic was present

- And why the school let Twi attend when she never applied

So let's solve them in that order, first:

1. Let's say, long ago, Celestia had another protege' like Sunset and Twilight, who craved power. Around this time, they had just figured out how to enter alternate realities. At some point, somebody, within earshot of the protege' (either speaking directly too or he or she was just in the same room at the time) questioned out loud that they wondered what would happen if you brought a magical relic like the elements to another realm, if perhaps in an alternate reality, an element could be used by someone who is not their true bearer. The power-hungry protege' thinks to him or herself "hey, that might actually work".

So, somehow, this pony steals one of the elements (perhaps the elements weren't as well hidden or guarded back then because the princesses may have trusted their subjects better back then, or at the very least, perhaps they left it out in the open in their castle but guarded by...guards, and somehow, this protege' managed to steal one and run through a portal before getting caught. How? I don't know, it may have been possible), let's assume it was the element of magic, and makes off for another realm.

He or she then puts it on, transforms like Sunset did, then tests out what they can do with the power of the element. They learn that they have the power to bend others to their will (among other things I assume), and than try to take over either that world or Equestria. Meanwhile, Celestia and Luna find out an element is missing, figure out which world the protege' went through, said protege' tries to kill them like sunset tried to kill Twilight, only to find that the sisters are shielded by some magic, the element's power returns to them and the power of the elements are activated (somehow) and they defeat the protege' like Sunset was with the magic of fwiendship. How this last bit makes sense, I'll explain later in this post.

So anyway, they write down in a book what happened, Sunset eventually reads that book (said book containing visual depictions of the elements, this parts important) in the future, hence how she comes up with the plan. But, either knowing ahead of time or finding out afterwards that the elements are effectively inert and the magic element is missing. So, she gives up on that plan, eventually she goes into the human world. Some point later on, she comes back to......see what's been going on in her home world while she's been gone. (fuck it I can't think of any other reason why she'd return, I've thought for days and days on this one) She see's Twilight with her crown, recognizes the element of magic in the crown, remembers the book from before, decides to steel the crown. So she goes back in the portal till night time, than she comes back, yada yada steals the crown.

2. She thought her army of teenagers would work possibly because she expected the royal guards would be reluctant to harm what are effectively civilians (I would assume they'd turn into ponies if they went through the portal and appear like normal equestrian residents....with glowing eyes.....and zombie-like behavior. But not just that, she had super powers thanks to the element of magic "more power than I could possibly imagine" or whatever the fuck she said. And seeing as how she could turn snips and snails into demons, it's possible she could turn the other students as well. No, they'd be unwilling, but make them demons+mind slaves, and there you go. So it wasn't as simple as "Ima use teens to take over an entire kingdom HURP DURP".

3. Why the fuck the elements power worked in the other world with only one of them physically present. Well here's my theory: When sunset tried to kill Twi with her magic blast, it failed, because it recognized her (and her friends) as the true bearers, so it would not harm them. In doing so, this being it's only way of being able to tell (if they aren't harmed by the magic than they're the real element bearers..otherwise they're dead), it betrayed Sunset and transfered it's power back to Twilight. Why did they all do a combined element-blast when only one of the elements was physically present, as I said above? Well.....only one, or at least the magic one, is necessary if that world's and or Equestria's element bearers are there together. Why? Fuck it, shit just works differently in that world, I give up. Let's just go with that and call it a day.

And finally

4. Why school let Twilight attend when she never registered. I dunno, either we accept that she did that offscreen (which I don't know if something like that is acceptable in fiction) or for whatever reason that school just lets any kid walk in and attend classes. Why? I don't know fucking know....ugg. Or maybe there's so many students there that they just mistook her for one of the many other multi-colored freaks.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

(edited)

You have definitely filled in the plot holes, I guess like many movies the plot holes are pretty existent.

I suppose I managed too, but as I said in my OP, I really don't feel like the authors made it intentionally "mysterious". This isn't like Dark Souls were the story is basically not even told at all and you're supposed to fill in the blanks with clues you can find throughout the world (item text, npc dialog). I believe they just didn't think it through. And I really hate feeling like I have to justify poor writing, when the actual writers should be making sure their story is coherent themselves.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I suppose I managed too, but as I said in my OP, I really don't feel like the authors made it intentionally "mysterious". This isn't like Dark Souls were the story is basically not even told at all and you're supposed to fill in the blanks with clues you can find throughout the world (item text, npc dialog). I believe they just didn't think it through. And I really hate feeling like I'm just barely managed to justify poor writing, when the actual writers should be doing that themselves.

I totally agree, even for writers they should be able to learn from their mistakes.

I totally agree, even for writers they should be able to learn from their mistakes.

Yeah, and also, If it's gonna be "a mystery OoooOOooOOOoooOO!!!", than they should have a plausible explanation in mind, at least one, so that the audience could possibly make sense of it.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, and also, If it's gonna be "a mystery OoooOOooOOOoooOO!!!", than they should have a plausible explanation in mind, at least one, so that the audience could possibly make sense of it.

My thoughts exactly, or at least build up some suspense.

• Brohoof 1

4. Why school let Twilight attend when she never registered. I dunno, either we accept that she did that offscreen (which I don't know if something like that is acceptable in fiction) or for whatever reason that school just lets any kid walk in and attend classes. Why? I don't know fucking know....ugg. Or maybe there's so many students there that they just mistook her for one of the many other multi-colored freaks.

We'll probably just have to chalk it up to politely ignoring the complexities of registering at a new school. After all, not much of school system in Equestria Girls makes a terrific amount of sense.

If we are to craft an explanation, however, I would select from one of two possibilities:

1. From the first encounter with human Pinkie Pie, Twilight learns that she has an alter ego in the human world. It may be the case that Twilight Prime (that is, the Twilight who originates from the human world) registered at Canterlot High School but had yet to start attending. Thus when Twilight Sparkle arrives from Equestria, burdened with glorious purpose, no one really bats an eye.
  2. Principal Celestia permitted Twilight to attend because she mimics her pony counterpart's predilection for letting events play out with minimal interference. At the end of the film, Principal Celestia is hardly perturbed by the fact Twilight and her friends transformed into magical girls. When Celestia bestows upon Twilight the crown, she talks about a princess "from any world" leading through example. I would hypothesize Principal Celestia is to some degree aware of Equestria; therefore she overlooked Twilight's attendance at Canterlot High because she realized it might very well have a positive outcome.
  • Brohoof 2

We'll probably just have to chalk it up to politely ignoring the complexities of registering at a new school. After all, not much of school system in Equestria Girls makes a terrific amount of sense.

If we are to craft an explanation, however, I would select from one of two possibilities:

1. From the first encounter with human Pinkie Pie, Twilight learns that she has an alter ego in the human world. It may be the case that Twilight Prime (that is, the Twilight who originates from the human world) registered at Canterlot High School but had yet to start attending. Thus when Twilight Sparkle arrives from Equestria, burdened with glorious purpose, no one really bats an eye.
  2. Principal Celestia permitted Twilight to attend because she mimics her pony counterpart's predilection for letting events play out with minimal interference. At the end of the film, Principal Celestia is hardly perturbed by the fact Twilight and her friends transformed into magical girls. When Celestia bestows upon Twilight the crown, she talks about a princess "from any world" leading through example. I would hypothesize Principal Celestia is to some degree aware of Equestria; therefore she overlooked Twilight's attendance at Canterlot High because she realized it might very well have a positive outcome.

I like your first theory, tho for the other one, Principal Celestia might have just said that line because she learned of Equestria via what Sunset Shimmer said about wanting to take over it, and after all the crazy shit that happened in those last few minutes, she didn't question that worlds existence.

I just think no one noticed she wasn't supposed to be there because she just wasn't there that long. If she had been there longer her cover wouldn't hold up to scrutiny and she'd be found out.

I like your first theory, tho for the other one, Principal Celestia might have just said that line because she learned of Equestria via what Sunset Shimmer said about wanting to take over it, and after all the crazy shit that happened in those last few minutes, she didn't question that worlds existence.

I'm inclined toward the first hypothesis myself, though I can roll with the second one given how perceptive Celestia tends to be (at least as a princess).

(edited)

The only logical theory is that Princess Celestia setup Twilight Sparkle to meet Sunset Shimmer and go through this whole ordeal. It was Princess Celestia that tipped off Sunset Shimmer. Principal Celestia was working with Princess Celestia on it. I expect Princess Celestia kept tabs on Sunset Shimmer and needed Twilight to intervene once SS was going to far. There are some oddities like Princess Celestia having the fake crown taken away, the ease of security in the palace, and only allowing Twilight to go through the portal. Important evidence is the timing of the portal being active, Twilight and co. being invited at the same time, and Sunset knowing where the crown was. Coincidence? No, this all points to a deliberate setup with Princess Celestia's hooves all over it.

Edited by Singe

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Well, considering Sunset was Celestia's student, it's not hard to imagine that she read up on the Elements. In addition, she likely came out through the portal a day before Twilight arrived at the Empire and got up the speed from various civilians. She obviously had time before hand to plan.

As for how Twilight defeated Sunset, I think because the element of magic is made up of the other five Twilight was able to share them with the HuMane Five. Friendship is magic after all.

Plus, I don't think Sunset saw her demon form coming. While transforming, she had a look of shock and was even crying during the transformation. Sunset outright said she never had any intention of hurting Spike at all. She's not that bad a person. However, her demon form tried to outright kill Twilight and the group, and her transformation has tears streaming down her face instead of victorious cackling. Her demon form was that bad of a person, the logical extreme of Sunset's personality, something she hadn't counted on. And when defeated by the Elements, Sunset is returned to sanity and realizes how bad a person she could be. She saw her inner evil manifest and didn't like what she saw.

Also, it just hit me how Sunset Shimmer could've brainwashed the princesses...

Twilight wasn't exactly a student but Principal Celestia did say ANYONE was allowed to sign up. Loopholes FTW!

My friend says this too: http://crossreviews.tumblr.com/post/76503097773/thank-you-based-god-that-this-came-out-okay-ive

In addition, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss MLP of having more to it than it seem.

Edited by matt0044