FlutterBoop! Trying to get traditional drawing down my troat

Bugplayer

(edited)

Hai there everyone!

Like I said in the title, I'm trying start with traditional art for various reasons, and there's some quick thoughts shenanigans about that in this paragraph down bellow.

You can just skip it if you want :3

_______

Sometimes, digital arts tend to give me a fake impression about someone's talent.

The fact that you can just undo or move parts of the drawing because it's in the wrong position just seems not right to me, it got me to think if I was actually good at drawing or if it was just an illusion caused by my computer. 

From a personal opinion, I think starting on digital isn't the right choice, and I would encourage awesome peoples around here who are used to draw on digital, to try with traditional for a while. Having a good foundation about ponies anatomy is a very important step to get good at drawing, and taking out the ability to undo/move things on a canvas really force you to take your time and concentrate to make great looking ponies.

And for some reasons, I think traditional arts is always more impressive, it shows directly what someone can do with a pencil.

_______

OKAY!!! Sorry about that.  ;)

So yeah, I wanted to try again with traditional, and I got the will to do it from someone on DeviantArt, much respect!

I started with a Pinkie Pie, which has a few flaws of course, but it gave me the occasion to try a few techniques with the pencil. I don't personally see the purpose of uploading it as an image Url, but if you're interested, here it is! 

http://sta.sh/0azxldk81d5

But of course, it's not why I'm here! 

I though about a concept for Fluttershy, and I'm personally really impressed by how it turned out.  :yay:

Of course I'm far form the bests when we talk about traditional, but I think it's pretty decent!

Here it is:

img-2835972-1-flutterboop_by_bugplayer-d

Source: http://bugplayer.deviantart.com/art/FlutterBoop-467266876

I really like the concept of the interaction between the drawer and the pony itself. It's a great feeling...  :lol:

On that, I would love to hear your opinion about it. Particularly about her different body parts. The size and things like that.

Also, if anyone have a few shading tips or tutorials on traditional art, I would welcome them open arms!

Edited by Bugplayer
  • Brohoof 7

So CUTE!

There's maybe something wrong with her hair next to her left hoof (it's almost nothing but I can't find anything else), but other than that I love it. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

*Clutches at heart* Its... Too... Adorable... I'm... Going... Down... *Collapses*

No seriously, OMG THAT IS SO CUTE  :(  :(  :(  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Took a second look after looking at Blobulle's post, & yeah I think her leg might be bending backwards... I don't know pony anatomy like the back of my hand but I thought that their legs bent forwards, similar to how our knees bend forwards, not like our elbows which bend inwards to our bodies...  :blink:

Edited by KokuraiNoSenshi
  • Brohoof 1

As I said already on DA, this is bloody adorable. The far forehoof (yes, I'm going to be persnickety about anatomy) is off. It is draw as if straight, requiring it to be going outwards at a seemingly awkward angle instead of coming down before bending forwards like with the near forehoof. The eyes are good, but a handy method (I find) is to draw the highlights much lighter then shade around them, getting rid of that hard line and making it look a bit more like light reflecting. I'm sure you've already caught some of the little details, but overall this is definitely a really good drawing.

• Brohoof 1

So CUTE!

There's maybe something wrong with her hair next to her left hoof (it's almost nothing but I can't find anything else), but other than that I love it. :wub:

I agree, I should have added a little tip like the other part of her mane and her tail. Gotta keep that in mind, thanks! :3

*Clutches at heart* Its... Too... Adorable... I'm... Going... Down... *Collapses*

No seriously, OMG THAT IS SO CUTE  :(  :(  :(  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Took a second look after looking at Blobulle's post, & yeah I think her leg might be bending backwards... I don't know pony anatomy like the back of my hand but I thought that their legs bent forwards, similar to how our knees bend forwards, not like our elbows which bend inwards to our bodies...  :blink:

Haha XD I so happy to know you like it! ^.^

Her leg is kind of derpy, her joints actually bend the proper way, but her shoulder is way too low, and her ankle is kind of non-existent. Sorry about that :P

I did a quick image to show what I mean. 

post-9970-0-51739400-1405137529_thumb.jpg

I agree, I should have added a little tip like the other part of her mane and her tail. Gotta keep that in mind, thanks! :3

Haha XD I so happy to know you like it! ^.^

Her leg is kind of derpy, her joints actually bend the proper way, but her shoulder is way too low, and her ankle is kind of non-existent. Sorry about that :P

I did a quick image to show what I mean. 

So I was wrong, who knew? :P Sorry, like I said, I am not a pony anatomy expert... :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It`s adorable :yay:  I love how you made it look like the pencil was touching her nose ;)

Such a beautiful picture.

Thanks guys! 

And I agree, that pencil boop is really adorable actually :P

::Finds appropriate youtube clip to express emotions::

Woot!

As I said already on DA, this is bloody adorable. The far forehoof (yes, I'm going to be persnickety about anatomy) is off. It is draw as if straight, requiring it to be going outwards at a seemingly awkward angle instead of coming down before bending forwards like with the near forehoof. The eyes are good, but a handy method (I find) is to draw the highlights much lighter then shade around them, getting rid of that hard line and making it look a bit more like light reflecting. I'm sure you've already caught some of the little details, but overall this is definitely a really good drawing.

Hey that was you! ^_^

I agree totally with the hoof. If you are talking about the closest one, I explained it a little in a comment. And yeah, it's off X)

And I drew the highlights before actually, but I may have gone a little too fast and I colored inside them a little bit. 

But yeah, I'm not used with traditional, gotta practice more. On that, thanks my friend for the feedback! Gotta keep that in mind :muffins:

So I was wrong, who knew? :P Sorry, like I said, I am not a pony anatomy expert... :P

I didn't made it easy either for you though :3

Edited by Bugplayer