Founded a topic on CNN I believe we should read about.

Nuke87654

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/04/opinion/mccartney-college-students-free-speech/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

This article talks about how we allow extremism and other forms of discourse in colleges to where we disallow any unpopular opinions for the sake of ensuring we have a social environment to our designs. She even suggests to not only discourage such dangers but to also allow forums where we can freely talk about  our beliefs and others and meld minds so to say on matters.

What do you guys think?

You do realize CNN is run by a bunch of conservative jackasses, right? They discourage anything new, or extreme. They're as conservative as Fox News is pointless.

• Brohoof 2

img-28934-1-img-28934-1-img-28934-1-img-

"I'd rather trust and regret, than doubt and regret."

You do realize CNN is run by a bunch of conservative jackasses, right? They discourage anything new, or extreme. They're as conservative as Fox News is pointless.

Exactly why I will not ever go on a CNN website, or watch the channel. Extreme conservatives (extremists of the idiot party).

58fcd718b2e1f_NerdyLuigisSigII.2.png.fbb45443c27c58836244b7fd6f28b2f6.png

Thought the label on them was liberal propaganda :P

Regardless, I particularly liked this article and feel other people needs to read this for my stated reasons.

Thought the label on them was liberal propaganda :P

Regardless, I particularly liked this article and feel other people needs to read this for my stated reasons.

That's Fox News, which is an absolute joke anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Here's how you have to look at it: the government can't truly solve something. When they "try," they end up creating more problems. As liberal as I actually am, they have no right to infringe on our rights.

• Brohoof 1

Here's how you have to look at it: the government can't truly solve something. When they "try," they end up creating more problems. As liberal as I actually am, they have no right to infringe on our rights.

But I'm not asking about that, I'm asking about the idea of creating forums in colleges to allow people to voice their beliefs freely.

Honestly, I thought what the article addressed was fair. I mean, it was presented fairly neutral; favoring neither side.

Really, I think the concern is legitimate, though I never really saw it when I was in college, but I think what the author describes can be good for students in the future.

• Brohoof 2

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

Opinions are nice, but he asked you a question about the ARTICLE. Not the people who wrote it.

Sorry, this thread was getting off-topic fast. Continue.

• Brohoof 1

IpCevg7.png

Silver Herald X Solarshine since 2012!

Honestly, I thought what the article addressed

Merely pointing out a problem of College's allowing extremist views in policital spectrums to flourish and disallow other dissenting opinions to be heard. What the article is suggesting is to disallow such incidences to occur and encourage colleges to create a place to allow people to freely discuss their beliefs.

A government should not intervene unless in a solution accepted by the people. What? It may as well LITERALLY be half of what the Declaration of Independence says. So, agreeing with my quite liberal viewpoints, this may be right, but it'll be no good.

Merely pointing out a problem of College's allowing extremist views in policital spectrums to flourish and disallow other dissenting opinions to be heard. What the article is suggesting is to disallow such incidences to occur and encourage colleges to create a place to allow people to freely discuss their beliefs.

I aologize; when I was first writing that I aciidentally posted it WAY too early. I edited in turn.

Again, apologies. ^^

• Brohoof 1

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

I'm not sure if these CNN bashing posts hold some sort of irony or not. xD
(Pssst! Fox is the Conservative one! Ya mixing 'em up anyway!)

Ah well, the article seems okay, if a little standard. "Echo chambers r bad!" talk of doing stuff, but no real action.

The problem doesn't necessarily lie with extremism, it's that extremism is LOUD

• Brohoof 1

Skype me: PineappleKAKE

If I'm online, I'm up for a chat! ^^

I'm also much more active on skype than ANYWHERE else.

A government should not intervene unless in a solution accepted by the people. What? It may as well LITERALLY be half of what the Declaration of Independence says. So, agreeing with my quite liberal viewpoints, this may be right, but it'll be no good.

That's not what the article was talking about though.

I aologize; when I was first writing that I aciidentally posted it WAY too early. I edited in turn.

Again, apologies. ^^

No problem, thank you very much :)

May not be talking about government intervention, but the college has a sort of governing body, am I correct?

You want anarchy in academia, then? >.>

Skype me: PineappleKAKE

If I'm online, I'm up for a chat! ^^

I'm also much more active on skype than ANYWHERE else.

I'm not sure if these CNN bashing posts hold some sort of irony or not. xD

(Pssst! Fox is the Conservative one! Ya mixing 'em up anyway!)

Ah well, the article seems okay, if a little standard. "Echo chambers r bad!" talk of doing stuff, but no real action.

The problem doesn't necessarily lie with extremism, it's that extremism is LOUD

Agreed that it was a little standard, and the problem is that it's the extremism itself that's often heard and taken over all else.

The article didn't discourage anything extreme, though. Quite the contrary, it encourages people to engage in difficult, potentially offensive debates, but to do so in a respectful manner.

Either way, have you guys read the article? What do you think?

I quite enjoyed the article, actually! Particularly these bits:

These discussions may not lead to universally held views. That shouldn't be the goal. But we can learn to disagree without demonizing, to protest without personalizing.

A form of protest whose aim is to silence a voice rather than engage it has no place at our colleges and universities.
Edited by Henny Penny Benny
  • Brohoof 1

You want anarchy in academia, then? >.>

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that intervention in this, and most cases, should be a people's vote. Before that I stated that I wouldn't support such necessarily. It could go awry. Quite so.