Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Explorer in Training (1x1 between Rainbow Eclipse and PathfinderCS)

Rainbow Eclipse

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner chuckled; having similar experiences herself. ​"Ah, Canterlot isn't so bad. I mean yeah, some of the denizens are downright rude, disrespectful jack-flanks, but I've met some good ponies. Plus they have some of the best libraries around."

"Though, again, respect to Anala. I never really bothered to eat at the fancy places there myself," she remarked. "Good food, but some snooty attitudes there. It's pretty much one reason I live in a nice, rural area."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley nodded. "You know, Anala lives in Manehattan too, but she's told me in the past that she wishes she could move to a more rural area," he said. "Her job is that she teaches ponies how to use a bow and arrow. Five Bits for a two hour session. She does it in a field in the outskirts of the city."

"She lives in Manehattan because A, it's where she grew up, B, she needs to ensure that there are plenty of ponies to show up, and C, it has the best apartment room she can afford. Before we got out of school, she cleverly came up with her job that required no qualifications and would basically be getting paid to do what she loves," he went on. When Anala was involved, he could go on for hours.

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner nodded, listening to the stallion. Every word he breathed pretty much had a hint of Anala in them. "I think she'd like it if she moved to a rural area. The problem though is that she'd possibly have less prospective students to teach than she would in an urban environment. There are exceptions like large towns like Ponyville or towns like Derbyshire that have an academy with students. Aside from that, she'd probably better off considering her line of work."

Of course Riley pretty much covered that point anyway. "Of course I grew up in Batlimare myself, but I found that the academies there were a bit too big for my taste. Not to mention I like the peace and quiet of the rural setting. For me, I find it best when it comes to the long hours of research I inevitably have to delve into," she finished with a smile.

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

"I'm happy with where I live," said Riley. "It means I can visit my family often."

He reached into his pocket and took out his wallet. He opened it up to reveal some photographs. One of which was a family photograph taken at his cuteceneara.

He pointed to the happy, giddy young colt - his younger self. "This is me..." He pointed to the even younger colt that resembled him, but with a slightly different manedo, a slightly paler colour scheme, and no cutie mark. "This is my brother, Reece..." He pointed to the cheery-looking pink mare with a brown and white mane. "This is my mom..." He pointed to the maroon stallion with a grey mane. "This is my dad..."

He continued pointing to family members and naming them off.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner smiled as Riley continued showing the pictures. It was good to know that at least he had a decent upbringing as a young colt. "Well, it looks like you have a good family there," she remarked. "They must be good to raise a nice, respectful young stallion."

"I must admit you have quite the big family as well. Really, I only know of my father. Does your family line go back a while or is it just a big family in general?"

@@PathfinderCS,

"Heck if I know," said Riley. "But I must have had some pretty good ancestors in order to end up with the awesome family I have today."

He rummaged about in his saddlebag and took out two cookies. One for him, and the other he held out to Sojourner. "My mom made these. Want one?" he offered.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner chuckled at that remark. "I'd have to agree. You've been given a solid foundation to grow off of which leaves you plenty of potential on down th road. Ponies that have a good mindset from the start can have great futures."

"Sure, thanks," she said as she took the cookie, taking a bite. "Mmmm, not bad. I can see she has a nice talent for baking goods."

@@PathfinderCS,

"You bet she does," said Riley through a mouthful of cookie. "Back in school, I'd sometimes get the other kids asking to trade parts of lunch with me. Mom packed a cookie in my lunchbox for dessert every day, unless I was being punished."

"And I'll agree that yes I do have a good mindset. Don't mean to brag," he went on. He shifted a bit to show his flank and the directional arrow cutie mark it bore. "Tell me, what do you think my cutie mark means?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Smiling, Sojourner was reminded of her childhood somewhat. "That kinda reminds me of my filly days. My dad would make me some nice lunches. Of course he wasn't the greatest of cooks, but he'd make a mean sandwich. Ah, good memories."

Sojourner took a look at his cutie mark, studying it somewhat. "I'd guess it means you're a forward-thinking stallion," she remarked. "Meaning that you're likely a positive thinker who doesn't let the past bog him down."

@@PathfinderCS,

"Well... close enough," said Riley.

"When I was a kid, I went through that phase in life where you desperately attempt to seek out your special talent and earn your cutie mark. I tried tons of things, like shooting arrows with Anala, playing video games, baking... but still, it didn't work. However, I still kept my head held high and was determined to find my destiny."

"My family and friends thought that something was wrong with me and that I was feeling stressed, and asked me if I wanted to take a little break. But I said, 'No! I need to keep trying if I want to get this thing that could change my life!'... And that's when it appeared."

He smiled. "I'm pretty sure I stared at my own butt for hours when it finally happened."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"That's fairly unique, at least from my own experience," mused the brown mare. "I must say though that I'm impressed with you. While I do know that other colts & all really get enthusiastic about their cutie marks, you seemed to have been one of the more driven that I've met. Kudos to you." She ended that with a small wink.

"My story is a little more simple. Really, all it took for me was a book case falling on me and the right book landing open in front of me. I was so enthralled with what I was reading that I saw myself in those adventures. And when I was pulled out, my cut ire mark appeared," she said with a slight grin.

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley seemed suitably impressed at Sojourner's story. "Considering what an experienced explorer I've heard you to be, it does sound like that book grabbed your fascination," he said, eyeing her cutie mark.

"Anala already had her bow and arrow cutie mark when we met," he commented.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"That book is one of my most treasured possessions," she said. "The pony manning the library let me keep it. Needless to say it is VERY special to me."

"So did Anala ever tell you how she got her cutie mark," she asked. "I'm largely curious because of how energetic she sounds."

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

"Well, when I asked, she told me this story..." Riley cleared his throat.

"She was quite good at archery and had trained a lot, and was wondering 'why in Tarturus' she hadn't earned her cutie mark. She was strolling through the city when she walked past when she noticed an elderly stallion walking up the outdoor steps leading to his house, and he was holding a basket in his mouth. However, he accidentally dropped it, so Anala waited until the right moment to fire a arrow that stuck in the wall of the house and landed between the container part of the basket and the handle."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner whistled a little; signaling how impressed she was when hearing of the mare. "I know I said it before, but I'm liking Anala every time I hear of her," she said, chuckling a bit. "It's nice to know the two of you are friends. You two seems to have a pretty good chemistry with one another. While the both of you are different, it shows that you two can come together and be real close. Really, I think that if you get the courage one day, you two would make quite the couple." She said with a sly wink.

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley smiled warmly. "Thanks, Sojourner," he replied. "I do hope I get the courage one day."

"I bet you've experienced that feeling at some point in your life, huh? Like something brewing deep insidde you, and you want to let it all out, but you're scared of what people might think of you..."

A passenger at the back of the tain farted quite loudly.

@

Sojourner, nodding a little. ​"Oh, I think you'll get the courage one day. If you love her as much as you say, I'd say you will let her know eventually."

"As for me though, I've never had much of a problem with letting people what I know or feel. Really, I never cared what others think. If they liked it fine, if not, fine again. You're more like my partner as he is somewhat like you in that respect. He's just...meek and modest, I guess," she said, laughing.

@@PathfinderCS,

"Thank you, Sojourner," said Riley through his hooves which he had clenched around his muzzle as he flapped a wing to blow away the noxious ass-gas. "I'd be interested in hearing about Pathfinder sometime. But as for you... what sort of adventures have you been on?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner ruminated over the question for a bit. "Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by adventure," she replied. "Now, I have been on a fair amount of journeys & such that weren't that...adventurous; I guess you could say. I've been at quite a few digs & all, and they were mostly standard. Granted they're quite fun for me as I love that stuff. However, I've been on some dangerous journeys through old temples and long-lost ruins. Path & I made it through well enough."

@@PathfinderCS,

"Yup, it seems you and Pathfinder make quite the team," answered Riley, nodding in satisfaction and interest. 'This is gonna be a fun trip with Sojourner around...'

"So, about these dangerous adventures you've embarked on..." the pegasus went on. "Hve you ever come across any monsters?"

"Well, aside from my dad, I consider Path to be the closest thing I have to family," she said. "I never really bothered with friends when I was growing up. I was more interested in books and stories; especially anything dealing with history. He and I connected fairly well during our academy years, and we formed a nice friendship & partnership. I won't complain." She winked a little with a smile.

"Yeah, we've met some large and dangerous creatures. We've have to deal with the usual spiders, snakes, wild cats, and the like. We've also been near dragons, but never actually confronted any. The worse we've dealt with were giant spiders, manticores, and...that might be it I think. Of course, aside from monsters, we've had to deal with bandits as well."

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley listened to Sojourner go through the list of critters she and Pathfinder had encountered in their escapades. As much as he wanted to smile in admiration, he didn't want Sojourner to think of him as disrespectful.

"I remember when I was a kid," said Riley. "I showed my lil' bro Reece a horror movie about spiders. My mom walked in, and spanked both of us until our rumps were glowing pink." He blew a bit of his mane out of his face.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner raised an eyebrow at that. "Why would she do that? Is she sensitive about horror movies or something? That...sounds kinda of extreme, at least to me," she said. "I've seen my fair share horror movies at a young age, and my dad never batted an eyes. I guess I was made to handle the scary stuff. I seems to have helped me when dealing with dark passageways filled with cobwebs and the like.*

@@PathfinderCS,

"The real punishment was the nightmares that we had..." Riley went on. "Anala was able to handle horror movies better."

"Being the foolish colt that I was, I agreed to go to the theater and watch another horror movie with Anala," he continued, having lots of childhood stories to share. "Halfway through, I yelped and jumped into Anala's arms."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"Fair point, I can understand that," she said, thoughtful. "Of course, nightmares are a good opportunity to better yourself. It seems like you've gotten over them anyway. Plus, I wonder how Anala felt after you jumped in her arms like that." She grinned at him, chuckling slightly.