Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Explorer in Training (1x1 between Rainbow Eclipse and PathfinderCS)

Rainbow Eclipse

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

"I looked up at her and said, 'You're pretty strong, aren't you?'. We both giggled and Anala plopped me back down in my seat."

"I was more keen on Walt Disneigh films..."

"We hung out a lot... good thing she was there to save the day because I'd gone and done some foolish thing like get stung in the rump by a bee, or climbed a tree with no idea of how to get down," he went on.

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner laughed, giving a smile. "Well, it's good you had a good, close friend for a good many years. While many can say they've had friends, there aren't as many who can say they had THAT close of a friend."

She looked out the windows, noticing that the small station marking the stopping point at Galloping Gorge was getting closer. "Well, we better get ready," she said as she was getting her saddle bags ready. "Our destination is almost here."

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley was just about to go into another long-winded ramble about Anala, and how awesome she was, when Sojourner pointed out the approaching Galloping Gorge.

Riley checked to see if he had everything he would need. He opened his saddlebag to show Sojourner. "Is this the right amount of stuff?" he asked.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner went through his bag, making sure that he had the essentials. "Hmmm...yeah, looks good. You have some food stocked up, first aid supplies, a tent...yeah, looks good thus far," she said. "I must say I'm impressed. Many adventures newbies are fairly naive about survival. They forget that while you do have to rely on the land, it is best to pack up and be prepared. I will teach you what I can about living off the land, but I'm glad you brought this much." She finished with a smile and approving nod as the train came to a stop.

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley beamed, pleased to know that he had done things right.

He and Sojourner exited the train, giving them a view of Galloping Gorge. The scenery was nothing short of breathtaking.

Riley got down into the ready-to-fly position, legs bent, rump poised in the air, wings spread. "Need a lift?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

As Sojourner exited the train with the stallion, she got a good look at the view of the gorge. On the other side of them they could make out Cloudsdale in the distance. It's was quite a ways far from them, but she could still make out the rainbow waterfalls.

"You see, this is one of the best parts about this," she said with great enthusiasm. "You never forget a view like this; just as I have never forgotten the sights I have seen." 

She raised an eyebrow at his question. "So you think you can carry me and our bags at the same time? Are you sure you can handle that?"

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley looked at the bags. Sojourner made a good point there. "Well, the bags might slow us down a little, but sure, I think I can carry you," he said optimistically. "I've flown while carrying a passenger on my back before. Particularly Anala," he went on. "She's one of the reasons I decided to learn to fly. Perhaps I can tell you all about it as we go."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

She arched her eyebrow a bit, then chuckled. "Well, I'll trust you, though don't think I won't kick your flank if you end up crashing," she said in a joking manner. "And you can tell what you want, just make sure you know where you're going." 

With that said she climbed onto him; allowing the best position for flight.

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley flew off, Sojourner and the bags.

"See, she had to to learn to stand up on two legs to use a bow and arrow," said Riley. "I couldn't stand on two legs, I couldn't use my wings, and I didn't have magic to hold the bow and arrow with. So whenever she was giving me archery lessons, I would sit on her back."

"So, when I decided to learn to fly, I didn't need to do that anymore. Plus, I was able to have her sit on my back while I flew above Manehattan and gave her a great view of the city."

He landed at their destination.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"I have to admit, that does sound pretty neat," she said as they landed at their destination. Getting a good look at the area, she noted the dense forests and the sheer drop from the gorge.

"Yeah, I think this will do nicely. Shall we set up camp here then?" She took a good look up at the sky, taking in Celestia's sweet sun.

@@PathfinderCS,

"Whatever you say, boss!" said Riley, attempting to sound respectful to the pony who had taken the time out of her schedule to teach him some survivalist tips so that he didn't get his flank in trouble if he decided to go on dangerous trips.

He took the tent and the corresponding equipment out of his bag and set them out. He unfolded the sheet of instructions.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner chuckled a bit, shaking her head as she watched him remove his tent equipment from the bag. As he was wiring on his tent, she went to work on hers, setting hers up with no fuss and plenty of time to spare.

Sitting on the ground, she smirked. "While I don't want to rush you too badly, you could use some practice in case the weather get rough."

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley inspected the un-set-up tent. "You're right, I could use a bit of practice," he said. "I can't set up a tent to save Anala's life unless I have instructions. And even then, it comes out a little sloppy..."

He looked at the sheet of instructions and slowly began setting up his tent.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner nodded as she watched him. "Well, that's all well and good. It's something that comes with practice. When I started I wasn't much better than you at that. Practice changed that though. It took time, as I'm sure you're aware, but I find them pretty easy to set up. You give yourself the chance to practice them and eventually you won't need those instructions." 

She smiled at him a little; knowing he was trying his best.

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley looked at Sojourner and smiled. He then went back to setting up the tent. "Y'know what one of the absolute most annoying feelings is?" he said. "When you think you've finished, but it turns out you missed a step or did one wrong, so you have to start the entire thing all over again," he commented as he continued.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"I can relate to that," she said. "Just think of it as extra motivation to improve on your work. I've always hated that nagging feeling; the one in the back of your mind that won't relent unless you finish that one step you missed. Of course, in terms of survival, you have to complete all steps, or else you might be in trouble. I'm glad that it seems you realize that." 

@@PathfinderCS,

"Sounds very similar to the way I view my current life," said Riley. "I've got a loyal pet dog, a house of my own, an awesome job... what more could a pony possibly want?"

He sighed through his nostrils and looked up at the stars. "I think you can guess what the next step of my life is..."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner listened to him while she worked on setting up her sleeping space in her tent. "I'll admit you're fairly well off; I admire you for that. Though, I have to ask, I guess the next step is...Anala," she asked with a smile.

​"And I must ask, why are you wanting to go through with this? I mean, considering how well off you are, why do you want to learn about survival in the wilds?"

@@PathfinderCS,

"Gosh, what gave it away?" Riley asked rhetorically in response to Sojourner's correct guess.

As for her question, Riley answered. "Well, I like trying new things. Also, Anala would probably be proud of me for this, and if I get faced with some wilderness problem, like a monster, I won't have to rely on her to save my sorry rump. Plus, maybe I'm on a bus or a train and get kicked off, or I'm flying and something goes wrong with my wings, and I'm stranded in a wilderness area," he explained.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner laughed a little from his response; there was no way to get that one wrong.

Nodding to his statement, Sojourner added, "That's a fair answer, I think. Keep in mind that while it is smart to prepare yourself when facing dangerous creatures that you don't always to to fight one to survive. Of course, you also bring up VERY good points. There have been plenty of pegasai that have met their end when they got stranded in the wild and could help themselves to get out."

@@PathfinderCS,

"I'm not so sure I wanna hear the story of those poor unfortunate souls..." said Riley.

His belly elicited a loud rumble. "So, anyway, shall we eat?" he said, happy to change the subject. "I packed plenty of food, so should we have a normal meal, or eat small rations as if we really were stranded in the wild?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"Well, I'm good for the time being, and don't forget that you ate on the train. You can eat, but be sure to keep your mind in survival mode at this time. Some of those poor unfortunate souls didn't ration their foods accordingly, and I don't think I have to  tell you what happened to them," she stated in a sort of matter-of-fact tone, though making sure she wasn't too harsh.

Smiling, she added, "Of course you can keep in mind big food for after we're done, but for now, rations are key."

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley cringed at the notion of what had obviously happened to the stranded who did not ration their food. He also wondered how Sojourner knew about it all. Perhaps he'd ask later.

"You're the explorer here, you decide what we eat," he said, and opened his bag of food.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner laughed; shaking her head slightly. "I'll give you some advice. I saw what you packed, and I'm happy you packed simply. Right now, I personally don't need to eat for a few hours. However, you can go right ahead. Keep this in mind: The objective is not to fill your belly; only nourish it. I recommend a few bits of hay. It may not be satisfying for you right now, but if you're starving on the desert or in a jungle, it can be like gold."