Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Explorer in Training (1x1 between Rainbow Eclipse and PathfinderCS)

Rainbow Eclipse

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner watched him, showing a bit of a fake frown as if she was judging him. She almost couldn't hold in her laughter at it all. Nodding, she said, "Good thinking. Of course I will also show you about living off the land, though thankfully there are plenty of fresh greens to feast from. Of course, keep what you have in your bag and make it last as long as you can."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@@PathfinderCS,

"I will!" said Riley. And with that, he popped the last of his hay into his mouth. It wasn't the most filling, but if he anted to learn about wilderness survival, he need to act like the situation was really happening.

He then remembered something he had been ready to ask of Sojourner.

"Sojourner?" he said to the brown mare. "Are we going to learn how to set up a campfire?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner nodded; again appreciated the fact he was asking these questions. "Yes, actually. In due time. Right now I'd rather we not rush too hard into your training. It's best we start slow and not rush into this. The best way to keep this in mind is to start out slow & steady, then advance into it quicker once your familiar with it. Think of it like...tent-building. When you start, you're kinda & clumsy. But with practice, you won't need instructions. Survival is like that. Start slow. That is how we learn," she finished with a smile.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Pondering on that question a bit, Sojourner shook her head. "I'm afraid not," she said with a smile. "In my line of work, Path & I usually didn't have much time to sing around the fire, if you will. As our expeditions were concentrated on exploration, research, and, if necessary, danger, our time around the fire including close research and, in Path's case, map study. So no, I don't know many songs."

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

"Oh, I see..." said Riley. Sojourner and Pathfinder were busier than he thought, it seemed. "Well, shall I sing that catchy one I mentioned?" Neglecting to wait for an answer, he cleared his throat and began to sing:

"This land is your land, this land is my land,

From Califoalnia to the Neigh York island,
From the red wood forest to the Hoof Stream waters,
This land was made for you and me."

"There's more after that," he concluded.
Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Listening to Riley sing she began to wonder back to her & Path's times around the camp fire. Of course the used the time to relax, but at the same time as related to their jobs & duties, it was also the time for research and/or planning. They didn't always get the time ti just relax...so, she was going to enjoy this as much as she can.

"Go on Riley, sing the rest," she said with a smile.

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley smiled, happy that Sojourner had not rejected the idea of singing. "This is quite a long one, so we'll do it bit by bit."

He went back to singing:

"As I was walking that ribbon of highway, 

I saw above me that endless skyway, 
I saw below me that golden valley,

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner laughed, smiling as she rocked herself to the tune. "This is actually a good thing to do if you're in a survival situation. You see, while a lot of survival deals with the physical, there is also a mental aspect to it. Keeping your mind off of the negative from time to time can be a good thing. I mean, doing things like reminiscing of home, reading, or even singing can be positive things you can do to help you through the tough times."

"Oh, and nice song," she said with a wink.

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley smiled. "That's good to know," he said. "But I'm guessing that it's not a good idea to play video games all night to take your mind off worrying for the big test at school tomorrow," he joked.

"I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps,

To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts,
And all around me a voice was sounding,

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner chuckled. "I'm sure I don't have to answer considering how much I do value a good education," she said, laughing. She kept nodding her head to the rhythm, fairly enjoying it. "Keep in mind that while I do want you to learn, I'm also going to be relaxed with you. I'll teach you what I know, but I'm happy with your singing."

@@PathfinderCS,

"I've got plenty of stories about my school days. Or more generally, stories about me as a little colt," said Riley.

"When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,

And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting,

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"Oh really? You'll have to share some of those with me after we grab some wood for our fire. You can share as many stories as you like till it's time we hit the hay," she said with a slight chuckle. She actually was curious of his history. For being new to this experience, he was handling it all well.

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley nodded. "Hmm... yeah, let's get started on grabbing wood for the fire."

He looked around. "So... where do we start? Breaking some thick branches off dead trees? Pulling driftwood out of the ponds? Oh, speaking of which..."

He reached into his saddlebag, and pulled out a pair of swimming trunks and a deflated rubber ring duck. "Is there a way to check if the water is safe?"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

She raised an eyebrow, thinking she knew what he was asking about. "So, you mean for swimming, I presume? As far as I know the water in this area should be fine. Usually though, if we're testing water, we go my taste or smell."

"In any case, before we do that, let's find fire wood, which we can get from many sources. Of course, if you rely on sticks, you have to make sure you find plenty of those."

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

"Then let's go!" declared Riley, and trotted away to search for wood. He stopped and turned his head. "Oh, and yes, I did want to go swimming," he clarified.

He found a stick lying on the ground. "Well, there's one."

He went back over to Sojourner. "I hope I'm not asking you too much, but is there a way to check if a tree is alive or dead?" he asked. "I don't want to have to kill a tree. When I was a colt, my mom told me that plants live just as we ponies do."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Laughing, Sojourner got up and followed Riley to the wooded area of the forest. "Well, that's all fine and good, though keep the swimming for later. We'll do the work first, then the fun later."

"Anyway, to answer your question, we try not to rely on live trees as such. The amount of wood you need depends on the specific situation, but in our case we don't need that much. So yeah, been an eye out for any dead brush; sticks, branches, even dead trees. Besides, it's easier to burn dead wood as opposed to fresh branches from a trees considering things like moisture."

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley nodded and went back to searching. He found quite a few dead, detached branches of various lengths and thicknesses lying on the ground, and so he picked them up.

He found a branch too long to place on the fire all at once, so he broke it up into smaller pieces.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner watched Riley get to work gathering sticks & branches for the firewood. Nodding, she decided to give him a hoof. As she began to look around, she spotted what looked to be a dead tree. Approaching it, she looked at the colors and overall deformed state, touching it and watching it partially crumble.

"You're going good Riley! Now, give me a hoof with this tree. This will make plenty of good firewood."

Riley cantered over to the tree. "Yup, it certainly will," said Riley. "And I know for a fact that this is dead."

He flew up to the top and began to break off branches. "You know," he said as he did that. "Back when I was a colt, I was playing outside with Reece, and we sat under the apple tree that grew in the garden. I wondered if the tree growing apples is like a mother giving birth to babies."

"And then he absolutely refused to eat any apple pie for dessert that night."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Sojourner laughed, picking up any sticks and branches that fell off. "That's the first time I've heard of that one. Of course I guess the comparison is apt enough to make sense, though it still sounds incredibly silly. I presume he eventually got over that fear?"

As she spoke, she had gathered quite a few on her back and made her way back to the campsite.

(edited)

@@PathfinderCS,

Riley chuckled. "He did eventually," he said. "My parents scolded me for 'putting weird ideas into his head'. And they asked, 'Why can't you just think like a normal pony does?'."

He sighed happily. "It seems they weren't all that tolerant of thinking outside the box."

@@Rainbow Eclipse

"Well, parents will be parents," she stated with a chuckle. "Not much more you can do there; especially when you're younger. My dad was about the same in regards to that. While he did support me, he also kinda wished I wasn't such an adventurer. Always thought I should at least settle down in a quiet town. Haha, not THIS mare!"

With that, she dumped her load of sticks & branches onto the ground at the campsite.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

​"No, actually, and watch what I am doing Riley," she said enjoying the conversation, but also keeping in mind she was teaching him. "I grew up an only foal. Of course, considering I only had my dad to raise me, that might've been a good thing. I don't know if he could've handled siblings that thought like me!" She laughed at that as she began building the the sticks for a the fire while also placing some stones at the edge.